Canadian_F_H Titanicus WIP PLOG

Early days yet, but I have secured the titanicus core set, and the Grand Master edition.

So in addition to plenty of markers, templates, dice, etc, that gives me...

2 Warlords

2 Reavers

2 Warhounds

2 Cerastus

6 Questoris

Meaning I can throw down a decent sized force or split the models evenly between 2 players for a decent game.

I haven't gone thru every bit of the material yet, I need to look into construction hints, especially sub assemblies for easy painting, and how to future proof the kits with magnets since I haven't picked up any of the various alternative weapons sprues yet. (Emphasis on YET)

Anybody willing to provide or point me at a good rundown on these kits' contents regarding Titan loadouts in the box, mag-tutorials deliberately planning for the other sprues, and any other enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Canadian_F_H

I used 5x1mm magnets from Amazon for Reaver and Warlord guns and some much smaller N52 magnets from K&J for the Warhounds, just a toothpick with a little blue tack makes them easy to put on.  I do one body joint then all of the other body joints so I'm peeling magnets off the stack with the same polarity; then do one weapon and all of the other weapons so I keep the polarities straight.  If you try going weapon/body, weapon/body, weapon/body, etc you run an easier risk of mixing polarities and with that many titans you have a LOT of magnetizing to do.  Well worth it.

Keep your waists separate and try to do the armor plates together, this will make life easier.  A lot of people spray the plates on the sprue and then touch them up as they cut them off but I blue tacked them to toothpicks so I wouldn't have to work about nicking painted bits when I cleaned up the mold vents.  One thing I wished I had done is spray the backs of all my plates metal BEFORE I primed the fronts.  Now I'm stuck brushing on Leadbelcher to the back of 62,000 armor plates. :censored:

Painting trim sucks, there's no great way around that. :ermm: Contrasts are really useful on the knights if you want to do them fast.

Have fun!  This is a great game with great models.

Thank you! That is excellent. Yes it seams it will be a lot to organize. I wonder if it is worth the trouble to magnetize the knights, especiallt the Questoris? They are so small, I seriously think I would rather buy more knights for alternative builds. Oh no... More buying...

Speaking of buying, my only intention going forward are to buy the alternative weapon sprues, the campaign books, and after I assess the terrain and what I can scratchbuild, possibly buy more terrain.

Edit

Looks like GW got me. Knight cerastus banner appears to have a minimum of 2 knights... I guess I will get another pair so that the collection can be more or less divided equally for games. *Shakes fist at GW website*.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

I couldn't get my head around painting armour on the frame. All of my panels are undercoated front and back on sprue, then taken off. To paint them they are all blu-tacced onto lengths of sprue. Or, for larger panels, blu -tacced onto painting handles with the clamps unscrewed.

Nice to see more people joining the Titan Legios' ranks :biggrin.: 

I would definitely suggest checking the various project logs we have here, there are tons of experiences and tips and tricks

I did use quite a lot of magnets, work-in-progress pics and comments are scattered across my project log, including some notes on the common challenges encountered (Reaver's legs in particular) and potential solutions: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/350487-mendi-warriors-adeptus-titanicus-project-log/

My primary advice when building a titan is: dry fit, dry fit again and dry fit yet again before actually gluing. Make use of the instruction booklets and check the 360° view on GW's website as well, they can help.

As far as magnets go, I used various sizes: 1x1mm, 2x1, 3x1, 3x2, 4x1 and 5x1. I used magnets for all kinds of titans and knights.

For building the models, I preferred working with sub-assemblies and in batch mode.

For painting, I did some of the panels while on sprue, removing some of the supports before basecoating so as to leave the minimum possible attachment points and reduce the number of points requiring a touch up.

Painting trim takes ages, good music helps, as well as breaking the monotony by alternating between painting trim and doing something else.

Edit

Looks like GW got me. Knight cerastus banner appears to have a minimum of 2 knights... I guess I will get another pair so that the collection can be more or less divided equally for games. *Shakes fist at GW website*.

Wait, just get the knight box. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Adeptus-Titanicus-Knight-Battleforce-2019  See if you can find one at an online retailer because that's a great deal. Also the other Cerastus variants, the Castigator and Archeron, are coming in a box of four soon IIRC.  

Oooo. Might wait for the box of 4 cerastus then... But the other Knight box is tempting... But probably best I keep this to a minimum for now. It is already a steep investment!

Edit.

Looks like the box full of knights when divided evenly along with all the other titanicus stuff I have makes for 2 nearly identical forces each just about 2000 points.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

The box of 3 questoris is a good buy. That way you’ll have 3 of each gun so you can make banners of identical knights. And it’s nice to get things like the rocket launchers.

To be honest I wouldn’t bother buying anything much else now. You’ve got a lot to work on. When we’re able to actually play games again you’ll probably want more weapons for your warlords but that’s not urgent. I recommend getting the plasma sprue, plus a resin quake and macro Gatling gun. If you can stretch to it then also get Somme carapace gatlings and a Vulcan mega bolter for a reaver.

Have a think about what Legio you want to play. The info is all online. It’s good to have an idea before you start painting.

In terms of construction the reaver’s legs are where most people go wrong. Pay really close attention to the instructions when you build them. Common errors include putti the thighs on backwards, putting the feet on the wrong sides and getting the armour plates on the lower legs on the wrong sides. The main issue with the reaver is that there are lots of similar bits that are nearly, but not quite, identical.

The other thing is to watch out for the ankle joints when posing titans. If you have too much of an angle at that joint you’ll often find the shin armour doesn’t fit on. It can clash with the pistons or the ground. The knee and hip joints allow pretty much anything but try to keep the feet more or less flat on with the lower leg. Bend the toes if you need them to meet the ground at an angle.

First, welcome to the forums, Canadian!

Already some excellent advice above - I'm also a fan of taking plates off the sprue before painting. Attach a popsicle stick with the part number on it with a dab of super glue. Has worked well for me.