Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Accipitres Astra - 22/05/2020 - basic info and skeleton

Index Astartes Mercs Mafia Soldier Marines

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Hrvat

Hrvat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 855 posts

THE ACCIPITRES ASTRA

Space Hawks

gallery_21152_4921_37708.png

CHAPTER NAME: High Gothic - Accipitres Astra

Low Gothic - Space Hawks

Colloquial - Grey Hawks, Grey Giants, Grey Guard

FOUNDING: 26th - 738.M41

CHAPTER NUMBER: 986

GENE-SEED: Jaghatai Khan

PROGENITORS: Unknown – training cadre of mixed Dark Hunters and Mantis Warriors origin

KNOWN DESCENDANTS: None

CHAPTER MASTER: The High Table – council of senior officers

HOMEWORLD: Ys Minoris [Hive World; ϑ CLASS; Wasteland; Sybaris Sector - Segmentum Solar; (In)Direct Rule]  

FORTRESS MONASTERY: The Retreat

FORWARD BASE: Fleet Based – Tacitus Venator

COLOURS: Storm Cloud Grey1 – high propensity for camouflage usage

COMBAT DOCTRINE: Codex 

CHAPTER ORGANISATION: Divergent

STRENGTH: 700+ 

CHAPTER MOTTO: “Semper Fidelis, Semper Paratus, Semper Letalis”

BATTLECRY: “Semper Fi!” – “Ooorah!!!”

1 ORIGINS/HISTORY

1b The Founding

1c Initial engagements

1d early defining moment

1e recent major event

2 HOMEWORLD

2b Recruitment

3 ORGANISATION

4 COMBAT DOCTRINE

5 BELIEFS

6 GENE-SEED

7 BATTLECRY / MOTTO

Side box A - current deployments

Side box B - notable individual

Side box C - notable enemy

1 - this was part of the inspiration > https://wh40k.lexica...lekh_Daumas.jpg

• AHorriblePerson likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,206 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
"Always faithful, always ready, always lethal," is a good Chapter motto. The US Marine Corps' "Oorah!" is too on-the-nose, in my opinion. Maybe answer "Semper Fi!" with "Orcus!" the Roman god of death, i.e., the Space Hawks swear to faithfully serve the Emperor's will by killing all enemies of His Immortal Majesty?
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

AHorriblePerson

AHorriblePerson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 429 posts
  • Faction: Various

You've got the framework for a decent homebrew chapter down, the information you've given until now is quite solid. I've gotta agree with Bjorn on the 'Oorah' being a bit too obvious, though. My suggestion would be to have an officer shout something like 'Ave Imperator' first, with the line brothers replying with 'Semper Fi'.

• Bjorn Firewalker likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,206 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves

My suggestion would be to have an officer shout something like 'Ave Imperator' first, with the line brothers replying with 'Semper Fi'.

Great idea!
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Hrvat

Hrvat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 855 posts

Thank you for the replies.

"Always faithful, always ready, always lethal," is a good Chapter motto. The US Marine Corps' "Oorah!" is too on-the-nose, in my opinion.

Being pointed out like this I think I would agree with you. 

I am looking to create a chapter that shouldn't feel out of place among Rogue Trader as well as "modern" 40K. 

You've got the framework for a decent homebrew chapter down, the information you've given until now is quite solid. I've gotta agree with Bjorn on the 'Oorah' being a bit too obvious, though. My suggestion would be to have an officer shout something like 'Ave Imperator' first, with the line brothers replying with 'Semper Fi'.

Indeed I am looking at the shout-reply dynamic, though I have been contemplating not having a specific battlecry with putting more emphasis on the motto.

Ulrik_Ironfist

Ulrik_Ironfist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,292 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard, 8th Cadian

"Always faithful, always ready, always lethal," is a good Chapter motto.

I agree, though, this might feel a bit more Astartes like: "Semper Vigilans, Semper Invictus, Semper Fidelis". Ever Vigilant, Ever Invincible, Ever Faithful. Rather than translating Semper as Always, translating it as Ever, as in [For]ever, I think feels a bit more self assured, which an astartes chapter would be.

The US Marine Corps' "Oorah!" is too on-the-nose, in my opinion. Maybe answer "Semper Fi!" with "Orcus!" the Roman god of death, i.e., the Space Hawks swear to faithfully serve the Emperor's will by killing all enemies of His Immortal Majesty?

I also agree. Though if you wanted to give them a bit of an old world feel, the Russian "Urrah!" is both similar and also ancient at the same time. If you want to go roman, you could always have them use the Barritus, which isn't words, but rather a haunting intonation meant to intimidate. It's chilling if you've ever heard it (some movies use it, and it's also done at historical reenactments). Or you could simply have them not use a war cry and instead fight in solemn silence.

"Always faithful, always ready, always lethal," is a good Chapter motto. The US Marine Corps' "Oorah!" is too on-the-nose, in my opinion.

Being pointed out like this I think I would agree with you. 

I am looking to create a chapter that shouldn't feel out of place among Rogue Trader as well as "modern" 40K.

That's getting easier to do with the way the games rules and models have been going. Power Armor will almost always feel like an anachronism. It's both modern and ancient. On one hand if you offered Power armor to the 101st Airborne, they'd love it, but 5th SFG would hate it. You can't integrate with populations, and execute stealthy raids wearing clunky power armor. But a supersoldier used to wearing it and with appropriate modifications, it's a different story...

Indeed I am looking at the shout-reply dynamic, though I have been contemplating not having a specific battlecry with putting more emphasis on the motto.

Call and response is very common. But if you want to take a cue from the US military, the Warcry is all about motivation, it's almost never heard in battle. Vocalizations are all about effective communication, and there is way too much going on to worry about a war cry. You also don't want to announce your presence before you're ready. So it could be part of some pre-battle ritual, or something like that. You could also get a bit cheeky, and have them shout curses and obscenities (40k themed of course) at their enemies, that would feel especially like the US Marines...

sml_gallery_82011_10885_3359.pngsml_gallery_82011_10885_12479.pngsml_gallery_82011_10885_5268.pngsml_gallery_82011_10885_8298.jpggallery_82011_10885_11361.jpggallery_82011_10885_2649.jpgsml_gallery_82011_10885_5020.pngsml_gallery_82011_10885_4299.png

Quantity has a quality all it's own... 
No OPLAN ever survives initial contact... 
You, you, and you, panic. The rest of you, come with me...
77th Cadian Shock Troops, Imperial Guard Codex Update Ordo Arcanum and Ordo Explorator Fanfiction

Hrvat

Hrvat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 855 posts

You could also get a bit cheeky, and have them shout curses and obscenities (40k themed of course) at their enemies, that would feel especially like the US Marines...

That is quite an interesting and rather novel approach. I will think about it.  

Edited by Hrvat, 26 May 2020 - 06:08 PM.

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,729 posts
  • Faction: Sons Of Doom,Vanquishers

You could also get a bit cheeky, and have them shout curses and obscenities (40k themed of course) at their enemies, that would feel especially like the US Marines...

That is quite an interesting and rather novel approach. I will think about it.  

I'm sure they could take some pointers from our Fenrisian friends. ;)

But I do like the idea of curses and such being thrown out across the battlefield. But the mention of the Roman war chant to terrify the opponents would be a fun route to play with too.

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Ulrik_Ironfist

Ulrik_Ironfist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,292 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard, 8th Cadian

I'm sure they could take some pointers from our Fenrisian friends. msn-wink.gif

Oh, I've been doing a ton of research on norse culture for my homebrew chapter, and I thought some of the curses my dad taught me were rough...

-"may ravens tear your heart asunder" (Þit skyli hjarta rafnar slíta)

-"the ravens shall tear out your eyes in the high gallows" (Hrafnar skulu þér á hám galga slíta sjónir ór)

Those are nasty...

But also, the scots have some really great ones, that could make a space wolf blush...

But I do like the idea of curses and such being thrown out across the battlefield. But the mention of the Roman war chant to terrify the opponents would be a fun route to play with too.

I can just see a loyalist astartes in one trench and a heretic in the opposite:

Heretic: "You worship a false emperor, a corpse on the throne!"

Loyalist: "Eh Yer Maw's git baws and yer da likes et!"

Heretic: "Uhhh... Death to the corpse emperor!?"

Loyalist: "Get it up ye, ye clatty wee bassa. Tha all ye got ye howlin' dobber?"

Heretic: "... W-What?"

Loyalist: "Away an' bile yer 'ead, ye scabby roaster, yer yappin mince."

Heretic: "I'm gonn-"

Loyalist: "Shut yer geggie, yeh jessie censored.gif !"

That would be beautiful...

sml_gallery_82011_10885_3359.pngsml_gallery_82011_10885_12479.pngsml_gallery_82011_10885_5268.pngsml_gallery_82011_10885_8298.jpggallery_82011_10885_11361.jpggallery_82011_10885_2649.jpgsml_gallery_82011_10885_5020.pngsml_gallery_82011_10885_4299.png

Quantity has a quality all it's own... 
No OPLAN ever survives initial contact... 
You, you, and you, panic. The rest of you, come with me...
77th Cadian Shock Troops, Imperial Guard Codex Update Ordo Arcanum and Ordo Explorator Fanfiction

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Index Astartes, Mercs, Mafia, Soldier Marines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users