What's your favourite Superheavy, and why?

Glaive, because the rules are so far out there,  and it forces both players to more heavily consider movement and unit placement. 

I'm looking forward to playing with my Gorgon once this pandemic cools off. Might make myself a second one,  as well as a banenlade-variant (plasma or shadowsword) for a 3 superheavy Militia list.

I'm guessing because you can hit your own stuff in the process? Half the fun of templetes/ area dmg in older editions was watching the look of horror on your opponents face as you still shot the pies even though it was very likely it would scatter on your own guys.

*Bane voice* "How safe do you really feel, being close to my units?"

Glaive, because the rules are so far out there,  and it forces both players to more heavily consider movement and unit placement. 

I'm looking forward to playing with my Gorgon once this pandemic cools off. Might make myself a second one,  as well as a banenlade-variant (plasma or shadowsword) for a 3 superheavy Militia list.

I'm guessing because you can hit your own stuff in the process? Half the fun of templetes/ area dmg in older editions was watching the look of horror on your opponents face as you still shot the pies even though it was very likely it would scatter on your own guys.

*Bane voice* "How safe do you really feel, being close to my units?"

What Mogsam said. The Glaive's Volkite Carronade is 48", and has the Heavy Beam rule which, instead of placing a template, hits every single target (friend and foe) in the path of the beam, which is 1" wide. Strength 8, AP2 and the Deflagrate rule means most marine units flat-out evaporate from the thing, and while the Haywire rule means Tanks don't fare much better. Transports don't fare well either, their occupants suffering D6 S4 Deflagrate hits. Superheavies, Gargantuan creatures and Buildings block the beam, but receive 1+D3 hits.

Oh, and it also has Ignores Cover so you can park it behind ruins and such.

TL;DR: Whatever is in front of the Carronade is going to have one hell of a bad time. And I really, really want one :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

Damn I knew I should've got a Glaive not a Falchion!

I mean... My goal is to get all three for my Dark Angels. Because I love tanks, and Sabaton said it best in four of their songs:

Through fire and brimstone

Breaking away, coming your way

Standing in the line of fire

32 will lead the way

Coming over trench and wire

Going through the endless grey

Pushing the frontline forth with a tremendous force

(Far ahead, breaks resistance)

Breaching the way for panzer corps

(Shows no fear, self-subsistent)

First in the line of fire, first into hostile land

Tanks leading the way, claiming the fame

Tanks line up in thousands as far the eye can see

Ready for the onslaught

Ready for the fight

Thousands of tons of armour and guns

Making it’s way through the sand

Our panzer battalion is back for revenge

Artillery sweeping the land

First strike is ours, no mercy is shown

There’s rivers of blood in our track

Breaking their waves of defence with our tanks

Infantry watching our back

Tanks are cool, the rules for them are fun in Warhammer... And I am an unrepentant treadhead :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
For me, my Fellblade. It's my most recent purchase, and came looking like the Emperor's Children had taken to dip-painting, but after I stripped it it just looks the business. Pug-nosed demolisher ready to gouge holes in those foolish enough to stray near, while the heavy bolters in the hull and on the top hatch scan for infantry scurrying in their hidey holes. Quad-Las arrays swivel to face their targets, humming with impossible power, sounding gleeful at the oncoming destruction. Above all though; those long, imposing cannons that track whatever foe I find most deserving. A squad of traitor marines or a mighty Land Raider are all much the same to the accelerator cannons that loom over the rest of my scarlet-clad gunline.

There are some really neat looking and ferociously destructive choices out there, but there's something about them I realized only now, as I stepped beyond the 40k videogames and started collecting figures;

Even my Redemptor Dreadnought is so much larger than his little brothers around his feet, it's hard to look at him as a game piece rather than a display model.

I may be extremely oldschool in my thinking, but when I hear tabletop figure, I think about something like a chess piece; Small, durable, cheap, easy to move, play with, and store.

On the other hand, I used to have a bunch of 1:32 scale tank models (which are still dwarfed by some of the FW stuff out there) a long time ago, and they fail all these criteria so hard, I'd never have thought about using them for a game.

So, yes, they look great, they kill great, and it's your choice to shell out the price of a used car for a box of resin in the more extreme cases, but at the end of the day, aren't they just hella inconvenient?

I love my dreadnought because it reminds me of the time of great adventure when it was an unstoppable behemoth dwarfing almost any other model in the game. Good times.

Having said that I wouldn't give up my Stormsword by any means. It is huge, it looks awesome, it is killy and it wasn't even expansive.

90€ for a great model is great if you ask me.

And it is great fun in game although it is a tad too powerful against infantry armies. I'll buy a Baneblade some day, because that this should be reasonable for games against any army.

So, yes, they look great, they kill great, and it's your choice to shell out the price of a used car for a box of resin in the more extreme cases, but at the end of the day, aren't they just hella inconvenient?

You're totally right about this. At some point, super heavies do enter the land of 'looks really cool, but are better used as terrain or a center piece on your shelf'. That tipping point depends on the size and the rules, imo. Super heavy tanks get regular use because they're big, but not so much so that they break the scale of the game. Also the rules and point values allow you to fit them into most lists. Once you get into super heavy fliers, titans, and that sort of thing the scale of the game starts to break and the points/rules make them very difficult to balance. For this reason things like Stormbirds and Warlord Titans are more like army capstone projects than anything else really.

Edited by Brofist

I've always thought of super heavies (the models, that is) as passion projects - labors of love as, as it were. It seems like people get them because they enjoy the lore, background, themes, and models themselves.

They want the experience of building and painting one, almost for its own sake, and rules effectiveness is oft a secondary consideration.

Most time they are a centerpiece for their unique look. Something you do for the looks, thats why you put alot more effort into them.

I love to see a Mastodon in an Armoured Breakthrough list as its really fitting.

Well you have some Superheavies as personal transports for Primarchs.

But thats the Heresy mind set. Looks are as important or more important than rules.

You're totally right about this. At some point, super heavies do enter the land of 'looks really cool, but are better used as terrain or a center piece on your shelf'. That tipping point depends on the size and the rules, imo. Super heavy tanks get regular use because they're big, but not so much so that they break the scale of the game. Also the rules and point values allow you to fit them into most lists. Once you get into super heavy fliers, titans, and that sort of thing the scale of the game starts to break and the points/rules make them very difficult to balance. For this reason things like Stormbirds and Warlord Titans are more like army capstone projects than anything else really.

Yeah, I agree. My capstone dream piece is the stormbird for my IW's. Although I would also like a Mastadon, but I consider that just another super heavy vechicle lol.  

Yeah, I agree. My capstone dream piece is the stormbird for my IW's. Although I would also like a Mastadon, but I consider that just another super heavy vechicle lol

Mhmm. Same here with my Dark Angels.

Hell, the Mastodon is actually usable in bigger point games. The Stormbird is the problem one :lol:

I've always thought of super heavies (the models, that is) as passion projects - labors of love as, as it were. It seems like people get them because they enjoy the lore, background, themes, and models themselves.

For my Cults and Militia army, a superheavy is my standard dedicated transport. 

In 40k as a whole I would say the Baneblade as it's the classic and was the first one released in Epic back some years ago. 

In 30k probably the Fellblade as again it sticks in the mind from the art books. 

I was super lucky to find this epic/AT-scale Fellblade mini for sale on the 'bay (no idea from where it originates, I don't think it's GW's own) and have painted it up in pre-heresy World Eater colours.

Fellblade1.jpg

Fellblade4.jpg