Dawn of Fire - the series

I quite enjoyed Knights, its certainly an extremely creative read in my opinion.

Its a bit on the short side and the prose are nothing to write home about but the concepts and narrative actually drew me in and it really gave a really cool touch as to the abilities of the factions involved. 

I actually really liked his take on the EC in Chirurgeon and Dreams of Unity is a surprisingly touching read.

Kyme can be horrendous by my token, but I find that his quality skyrockets when he isnt touching the Salamander-stone of Doom.

To a degree I wonder if its him or if its just that no one seems to be able to do anything worthwhile with the Sallies. Which is odd given that they are basically an army of pseudo-Minoan (seriously, replace Bulls with Salamanders and you are most of the way there) hero-blacksmiths with a literal genetic propensity towards tragedy. You would think they are automatically easy to make fascinating yet it never seems to come out that way for me at least (the closest I got to caring was their Black Book Appendix). 

Edited by StrangerOrders

There is a lot to play with with the Salamanders, unfortunately every author just seems to focus SUPER HARD on the Promethean cult and black smithing, which are like, the least interesting thing, hell, even the Apothecary on the Sisyphium is an expert locksmiths somehow *sigh*

Those didn't focus on the Sallies though. Only Kyme has written Sallies-centric stuff.

I say this a lot but Haley's "Unforged" and "Unbroken" short stories are my favorite Salamander representations.  Yes there's a Blacksmith focus but it's done in such an interesting way of trying to deal with a marine's emotion through artistic expression.  Sent me down a whole path of how the Salamanders are able to feel closer to humanity where other legions struggle with it.

There was also Fehervari's "The Walker in Fire" but the Salamander main character was definitely the least interesting thing about that whole story.

Those didn't focus on the Sallies though. Only Kyme has written Sallies-centric stuff.

I genuinely have no idea what your point is here? I talked about how _every_ author seems to be using the same tired imagery and included a specific example from another author. Are you trying to say Salamander characters in other books somehow dont count as depictions of Salamanders? That seems overly narrow, i mean by that metric yes, only Kyme and Annadale have written about Salamanders :) 

Tbh i forget a lot of detail from the Vulkan novel, i just recall being deeply disappointed with the wasted opportunity to get a real good look at the legion being forged. 

Dammit i did it again :D 

I'm willing to give it a read, and I am optimistic about it. I think that if it tries to cover some of the breadth of the indomitus crusade/era, then it will be great for the setting. Right now with the Indomitus Crusade seeming to just be the UM and RG running about, it isn't really all that convincing as a setting. The 150 years or so of the time period should give them a lot of room to explore quite a bit.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Turns out I was actually somewhat off regarding Sicarius. He didn't get lost en route to Terra, but back from Terra to Ultramar, with a batch of early Primaris under his command (alongside his own veterans). So we might well see Guilliman sending Cato off back home, as a bit of a tie-in cameo.

I too was not to excited about this, looked very heavy on space marine shooty death kill level based on the front cover, however after the various interviews I decided to give it a go. I  really hope that it is not too space marine centric, I don't mind if he explores the primaris project somewhat (though I suspect that may get explored more in other books) but i'm really looking forward to seeing alternative perspectives on Cawl and Guilliman.

My point is that only Kyme has written any legion/chapter-building work on the Sallies. Other authours have just followed his template when incorporating a Sally character here or there.

If another writer is given the chance to write a Salamander series, I think we'd get something different.

My point is that only Kyme has written any legion/chapter-building work on the Sallies. Other authours have just followed his template when incorporating a Sally character here or there.

If another writer is given the chance to write a Salamander series, I think we'd get something different.

Well... As I mentioned Kyme literally did not write Vulkan's Primarch book and it was set right when Vulkan met the Terran Sallies.

The book even sold itself on showing the darker side to their gene-tweaks.

And it turned out to be horrifically boring. 

I too was not to excited about this, looked very heavy on space marine shooty death kill level based on the front cover, however after the various interviews I decided to give it a go. I  really hope that it is not too space marine centric, I don't mind if he explores the primaris project somewhat (though I suspect that may get explored more in other books) but i'm really looking forward to seeing alternative perspectives on Cawl and Guilliman.

My biggest fear is the synopsis on the books atm. They dont really mention either of those and seem eerily reminiscent of Indomitus's synopsis, save the novelty of necrons.

It is a bit worrying. 

The Emperor is enraged. Primarch Magnus the Red of the Thousand Sons Legion has made a terrible mistake that endangers the very safety of Terra. With no other choice, the Emperor charges Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves, with the apprehension of his brother from the Thousand Sons home world of Prospero. This planet of sorcerers will not be easy to overcome, but Russ and his Space Wolves are not easily deterred. With wrath in his heart, Russ is determined to bring Magnus to justice and bring about the fall of Prospero.

Just sayin'. BL's synopses are pretty bad at times.

Just picked it up.

Gonna share some pics later on at work.

Looks glorious. Over 450+ pages including for word, appendix and such.

Art is great and the crusade map looks promising.

Main task for the next day! :D

Just picked it up.

Gonna share some pics later on at work.

Looks glorious. Over 450+ pages including for word, appendix and such.

Art is great and the crusade map looks promising.

Main task for the next day! :D

Is the map just an end paper or fold out like the siege books?