Dawn of Fire - the series

I mean its a cover that highlights the protagonists (Presumably) thats something that im pretty sure has been used in every Genre ever, including science fiction and fantasy, its really not that odd or exceptional...

In all honesty, most BL covers are garbage in terms of composition. And if they aren't, you're more than likely to get some less than stellar art. 

On a technical level, I like the cover. The heavier brushstrokes are a style modern 40k art needs more of. Floating heads aren't very enticing for book covers, though. It's maximum cheese and I don't see it enticing many new readers. 

Contrast something like The Beast Arises (and to a lesser extent, Space Marine Battles) covers, which were generally quite striking.

I’m not a fan of the horror genre but the covers have been brilliant.

My personal taste is for covers that make the book mimic the world they are from. That’s why I like the fake leather limited runs they look like a book from eisenhorns library. But if they insist on a picture in the cover, the horror series type would get my vote. I also like the eisenhorn/ravenor print run that just went with a plain inquisitorial seal on The front. I don’t object to art for the Warhammer worlds and love to buy prints to display but I like books a little more dignified.

It will be simultaneous. They're not going to put their big new series accompanying the release of a new edition behind a months-long waiting barrier for people who don't want the limited edition

The wording in the article says you’re very likely right in this case, but the Siege limited editions show BL is willing to delay access to even their most popular works.

They make a lot more money on Hardbacks and such and wouldnt sell as many if they released them together, that said i suspect a new series they are going to have to to get people on board, im sure speculators/resellers will make up the difference on the fancier versions.

If they were smart/consumer friendly, they'd release the general hardback alongside the fancy gubbins limited release edition, to drive broad interest and have their hideously overpriced deluxe enthusiast cha-chings.

What I predict will happen is they release them 4-6 months apart. Limited Editions end up on ebay for double or triple the price. Spoilers and summaries get posted around the internet completely devoid of context, nuance, prose composition, character arcs - all the things that actually comprise, y'know, the experience of reading a :cussing novel, and the internet hivemind does its usual thing of circlejerking itself into paroxysms of righteous outrage over how this or that is complete garbage, goes against the lore, couldn't possibly happen, Faction XYZ is always mistreated by mean old GW/BL, etc.

Then the general release happens and people have completely forgotten it exists or skip it because they saw a bullet-point list of "Hurr-durr, Rowboat Girlyman hahaha" and therefore they obviously know the work inside-and-out.

It will be simultaneous. They're not going to put their big new series accompanying the release of a new edition behind a months-long waiting barrier for people who don't want the limited edition

The wording in the article says you’re very likely right in this case, but the Siege limited editions show BL is willing to delay access to even their most popular works.

Yeah, but it's a completely different situation. The HH series is a juggernaut in its own right while this is a tie-in series for the new 40k edition. There is no single policy for limited editions, although there is a specific policy for the Horus Heresy

I don't have a problem with the special edition being released 1-3 (at the extreme) months ahead of the hardback edition, because people are paying for a degree of exclusivty, although it's worth noting that the special edition should be marketing through its extra gubbins rather than its exclusivity but I digress. Then the paperback edition being released a full year after this, but the enormous delay between exclusive and inclusive editions is absolute bollocks

Spear of the Emperor was a great example of this. The special edition drops in like November 2018, then the hardback comes in June 2019?... and then the paperback is released in December 2019 the same year? Whacked out

I have no idea what the paperback strategy for the Siege of Terra is either. Mad

would be interesting to know how much of it is in the marketing team's hands

my partner is marketing in the fashion industry and her ideal release schedules are constantly mucked about by problems somewhere along the production and distribution line. it almost always ends up compromised

I don't have a problem with the special edition being released 1-3 (at the extreme) months ahead of the hardback edition, because people are paying for a degree of exclusivty, although it's worth noting that the special edition should be marketing through its extra gubbins rather than its exclusivity but I digress. Then the paperback edition being released a full year after this, but the enormous delay between exclusive and inclusive editions is absolute bollocks

Spear of the Emperor was a great example of this. The special edition drops in like November 2018, then the hardback comes in June 2019?... and then the paperback is released in December 2019 the same year? Whacked out

I have no idea what the paperback strategy for the Siege of Terra is either. Mad

Spear of the Emperor was even more out of whack if you consider localized editions. German hardback + ebook was out January 2019.

I think the cover is pretty poor, it looks like a romance novel to me and I'm fairly sure some of my wife's Poldark books have the same kind of composition.

I knew it was familiar! Are we thinking that this will get a limited cover to go along with the big release?

WarCom article said it will come in LE HB & PB formats. Unknown if the LE will have a different cover.