Dawn of Fire - the series

It will be simultaneous. They're not going to put their big new series accompanying the release of a new edition behind a months-long waiting barrier for people who don't want the limited edition

The wording in the article says you’re very likely right in this case, but the Siege limited editions show BL is willing to delay access to even their most popular works.

Yeah, but it's a completely different situation. The HH series is a juggernaut in its own right while this is a tie-in series for the new 40k edition. There is no single policy for limited editions, although there is a specific policy for the Horus Heresy

As a point of order, the policy has been 3ish months for HH releases and 6 months for everything else. The only exceptions to that have been Mark of Faith and Apocalypse because they came out accompanying model releases. I very much hope you’re right, but I don’t think anyone was expecting a delayed release schedule for the Siege and here we are.

No doubt there will be audiobooks for this. They just keep forgetting to announce those ahead of time, or aren't quite sure of the timetable that far out. Especially right now, voicework is being delayed around the world (Tim Gerard Reynolds, for example, had to record Michael J. Sullivan's latest novel at home in his personal studio, rather than doing so in a proper, big one, and Japan's voice acting industry for Anime and so forth has been shut down so drastically these past 2+ months, they're doubting that seasonal Anime will be able to continue this summer).

If anything, I'm kind of surprised that BL has Necropolis and Blackstone Fortress coming up on Saturday. The bulk of the work on these was probably done before lockdown.

No doubt there will be audiobooks for this. They just keep forgetting to announce those ahead of time, or aren't quite sure of the timetable that far out. Especially right now, voicework is being delayed around the world (Tim Gerard Reynolds, for example, had to record Michael J. Sullivan's latest novel at home in his personal studio, rather than doing so in a proper, big one, and Japan's voice acting industry for Anime and so forth has been shut down so drastically these past 2+ months, they're doubting that seasonal Anime will be able to continue this summer).

If anything, I'm kind of surprised that BL has Necropolis and Blackstone Fortress coming up on Saturday. The bulk of the work on these was probably done before lockdown.

Awesome info drop there DC... i think there are a few other anime fans on here too. Not as into it as I used to be but it'll be a shame to see the final season of AOT delayed!

You make a good point re BL, hopefully its handled like TBA and has one steady narrator throughout for some level of consistency...

Surprised this series is set during the crusade when the plot around the new starter is moving forward. I wanted this book 3 years ago. What I want now is Dark Imperium 3.

That aside, I'll probably enjoy it.

My fingers are crossed this won’t be exclusively post Cadia’s fall, despite the marketing blurb.

I want a proper account of “Wrath of Magnus” god damnit.

You and me both. I was seriously pissed when they canceled Robbie's planned Wrath of Magnus novel, leaving the Warzone Fenris stuff only half-covered by BL....

Surprised this series is set during the crusade when the plot around the new starter is moving forward. I wanted this book 3 years ago. What I want now is Dark Imperium 3.

That aside, I'll probably enjoy it.

I'd rather they do this, telling us what happened with the potential to set up and foreshadow future events that will happen, than jump about like they have been. Darkness in the Blood and Mephiston 3 are prime examples of what happens when authors need to write, anticipating future studio fluff, and incorporate it and then release schedules get thrown around and you're still lacking the middle piece.

I mean, isn't the Psychic Awakening story arc still spread out through the Indomitus-era as well? Dark Imperium is, in a sense, the capstone of that era, and Psychic Awakening seems to have filled in what happened throughout the galaxy aside from the Plague Wars. Not that we have a stable timeline right now, Roboute is still working on that.

The Indomitus Era was basically a blank canvas anyway, seemingly only introduced to jump ahead in the timeline to the point where everybody had access to Primaris. I AM curious, however, as to how they'll attempt to retrofit the new upcoming Primaris kits into the Dawn of Fire books, when Dark Imperium didn't have them.

Edited by DarkChaplain

Unless they did, its still not clear what their fluff is, people are just assuming they are a recent development. Not without cause ofc but we really dont know yet either way.

Im not sure we will ever get complete stories from that eras studio campaigns, most of the BL offerings currently seem to skirt around them, like the Cadian book im listening to they have no idea what the protagonists are up to at the fall of Cadia :/ 

I agree with @DC that it feels right to do a series that goes back to fill in the 100yr lore gap.

While I accept the time jump is the reality of the setting now it is something I never liked.

Would rather things had carried on building from The Gathering Storm and the game setting WAS the Indomitus Crusade.

Then again I prefer the idea that the Primaris are only possible through the Rubicon and not simply having 000s sitting on ice.

GW would still have shifted minis but it would be more logical (to me) for armies of mixed marines that eventually phase out/replace with Primaris.

Edited by DukeLeto69

As grateful as I am for the crusade series there are holes long before we get to it from the dark imperium jump. We need some background on the processes involved in the Primaris project. How it was kept secret, how was fed and watered? Surely the resources involved would have been phenomenal. Who in the Adeptus Administratum facilitated it? There would have needed to be an imbedded cult helping the project across imperial departments. It’s unlikely they knew what they were doing but still it couldn’t have been accomplished without huge resources.

Psychic Awakening Is a cool storyline with loads of potential but I think it came way too soon after dark imperium especially given how little of the story had been told.

I agree with nagashee and hope we get plenty of non marine perspective. Going by the brilliant work on the seige books so far I would say that should happen. I don’t think there is much appetite for another marine only series, given all the criticism of the heresy series.

Instead of just Cawl, would've been cool if Cawl had been a member of a radical order within the Mechanicus with strong ties to Ultramar...something Guilliman had been nurturing since quite early during the GC and then fully activated during the Scouring.

Could keep the idea of multiple consciousnesses, with "Cawl" being a member who had other members' consciousnesses uploaded to his brain/CPU. Other members may have undergone similar processes.

I mean he already leads a secretive order within the Mechanicus, im not sure Guilliman planning a secret army during the Great Crusade adds much other than making him look like he was planning his own rebellion? Space Marines 3.0 makes much more sense as something he would come to consider during the heresy/scouring tbh.

The Indomitus Era was basically a blank canvas anyway, seemingly only introduced to jump ahead in the timeline to the point where everybody had access to Primaris. I AM curious, however, as to how they'll attempt to retrofit the new upcoming Primaris kits into the Dawn of Fire books, when Dark Imperium didn't have them.

Thats easy. Fresh out of stasis with no experience. Quicker to them the gun.

After a bit of attrition, they learnt some specialization from their older bros. And now the death of elder marines is complete.

Frankly, i'm apathetic to this exploration as a narrative.

I feel that 40k is getting quite similar to the AOS flow e.g.

New setting - Nine Realms* / Carved Galaxy

Big event - Necroquake / Psychic Awakening

I think they've learnt a lot from AOS in that the narrative campaign books and accompanying novels (whilst it is novel for the studies to be on the same page) caused a confusion as to whether it is a narrative or a setting.

By setting Dark Imperium later, it kind of got round getting into all of that stuff. Going back and adding the narrative is a bit meh.

Obviously, need to see where it goes. May be fantastic.

Not optimistic about another Guy Haley book. I know a lot of people rate him, and it's my problem really, but I just struggle with getting through his books because of the level of description and technical jargon and pacing. That being said his characters are pretty good plus good dialogue!

*Edit: Eight realms and allpoints

Edited by Rob P

Thats easy. Fresh out of stasis with no experience. Quicker to them the gun.

After a bit of attrition, they learnt some specialization from their older bros. And now the death of elder marines is complete.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but I don’t see how that’s a solution. You’re just restating the problem DC was presenting: there should be lots of specialized marines in Dark Imperium but there aren’t.

Ignoring the Heresy Series (Primarchs & Siege) this is the closest thing to TBA we've had in 5 years. If it's a success maybe BL will consider looking at other, more obscure time periods / events to fill in using the Series format... given the sheer scale and length of time the Imperium of man has been fighting to survive, we've barely even scratched the canvas of possible stories / events to be explored.

Edited by JH79

Ignoring the Heresy Series (Primarchs & Siege) this is the closest thing to TBA we've had in 5 years. If it's a success maybe BL will consider looking at other, more obscure time periods / events to fill in using the Series format... given the sheer scale and length of time the Imperium of man has been fighting to survive, we've barely even scratched the canvas of possible stories / events to be explored.

As is my way, i'm drawing off topic a little, but what are you after (1) Exploring getting from A to Z (which is what HH and TBA did - Well A to B and D-E maybe) or (2) a narrative exploring what is going on over here? I'd much prefer the latter.

It's like that series Seaquest DSV vs Star Trek (very loosely) - Do we want to know more about the things we sort of know or do we want to know about things we can't even imagine yet?

I think they were trying for an AOS type of setting for 40k with the battlefronts, i mean all the realms are is planets basically and 8th launched with various warzones pitching various factions at each other, then they did Vigilus and gave up on the whole thing apparently, i still want to know what went down on Armageddon! :D 

The realms are NOT planets! The realms are magical bonkers things with crazy themes. That would be like saying the warp is a planet. The ‘other worldliness’ of the realms really put me off AoS. Ive only enjoyed the books set in the more traditional realm.

40k has always had planets with different things going on.

In the literal sense sure, but in the narrative sense they fill the exact same hole. Themed, discreet areas with a practical edge but loads of room to work with if you want to. Maps are even drawn the same just with "magical nonsense" instead of space round the edge. Hell the Lizardmen can even fly between the realms in "totally not space ships"  because all the realms are floating in a big void around each other (And sometimes interacting) with some little pocket realms (Or moons? :P )  scattered around ;) Not that the semantics of AOS are particularly relevant on this board. 

The point being GW studio at some point identified 4-5 warzones (Mostly planets) where big conflicts were happening to focus on, like they do in AOS then did nothing with most of that and seemed to have gone back to the more traditional 40k broad focus in PA.

I think G-man's special relationship with the Cawl Mechanicum faction could stretch back to the GC (perhaps this faction even has roots in forgeworlds of Ultramar), but the Primaris project is only kicked off during the Scouring.

I really hope it is a success and opens the doors for more series. Off top of my head I would like:

1) Badab War (sequential series)

2) Apostasy (setting):

- Reign of Blood (sequential series)

- Plague of Unbelief (linked set of books telling stories across Imperium at this time)