Dawn of Fire - the series

Honestly, that'd just have opened a whole new can of worms. They'd have to actually put them down for good after beating the orks, which would've probably taken the remaining books to accomplish. Nevermind that it was already strange to have that STC thingy in First and Only, and having another source of fresh Men of Iron available - or, in case it'd be from the same source, having that factory survive - would've been just too much of a stretch.

Besides, even just justifying why they were bringing them into the war now, and did not during the Heresy War, would've been tricky. Not even use of the Keys of Hel was sanctioned. Having anybody high-ranking remember about those Men of Iron even existing for realsies in a known location would've been hard to pull off without a lot of plotholes. On the other hand, a lucky find, just in time for this occasion, could've clashed with suspension of disbelief as well.

And then, as said, they'd probably have become an even bigger threat than the Orks, if they had the power to actually defeat them. There was a reason they were outlawed and destroyed.

"The Mechanicus never deletes anything."

It wouldn't surprise me for someone, somewhere to be sitting on forbidden archaeotech.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the wide lore, there are numerous mentions and hintings of the Mechanicus possessing huge stockpile of materials/weapons/archeotechs that are considered rare or crucial, most of which ending forgotten of all in some dark sealed bunker of a forge world. not even mentionning the knowledge the some top tiers adepts possess yet never share with their peers. (And don't forget those "innovation" pieces that are engineered and which could completely change the face of the Imperium if only those who created it paused to consider the value of their creation. Many Adeptus Astartes chapter possesses relics that are the works of famed Artisans, works of wonders whose technological process are forgotten when their creator die.)

There is also the case of "Innovations" that exist through the Imperium but which are branded as Heretek due to the fact that the Tech-adept assessing the tech in question just do not understand it. (You can also imagine situations where a Magos Biologis have to judge the value and purity of a chimical recipe for...a construction material.^^)

An exemple of how Technology can be lost :

"Tech-priest X creates powerful archeotechs weapons using Y secret STC that he stock into a secret bunker with no one knowing. Tech-priest X die, taking with him the location of both his reserve of creation and that of the STC he used. Centuries later, while performing a registering of the stock, a nameless tech-priest come by the secret bunker that bear the seal of the ancientTech-Priest X, and informed his superior who also transmit that to his superior...etc. After some decades, the information reach someone with enough authority to decide what to do of the information, and then face two choice. Either Tech-Priest X is revered for his creation and he decide that the bunker contain precious informations and try to open it, with some risks, OR, other possibility, Tech-Priest X have been branded an Heretek due to the unorthodox technology he used, and then he consider that Tech-Priest X bunker must contain tainted technologies that are best left forgotten..."

• 1 month later...

Track of Words did an interview with Haley about Dawn of Fire. As you’d expect there aren’t any major reveals, but Haley says Dawn of Fire covers the beginning of the Crusade and Avenging Son is one of the longest books he’s written (contrary to the 248 page listing from Amazon).

https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/08/02/rapid-fire-guy-haley-talks-avenging-son/

Track of Words did an interview with Haley about Dawn of Fire. As you’d expect there aren’t any major reveals, but Haley says Dawn of Fire covers the beginning of the Crusade and Avenging Son is one of the longest books he’s written (contrary to the 248 page listing from Amazon).

https://www.trackofwords.com/2020/08/02/rapid-fire-guy-haley-talks-avenging-son/

That was a great interview and actually got me excited a bit about this series. Might even consider giving a shot securing the upcoming LE.

That was a great interview and actually got me excited a bit about this series. Might even consider giving a shot securing the upcoming LE.

Haley generally does a good job promoting his books. Learning a lot of it’s set on Terra has me more interested.

Reading Guy Haley saying he/they tried to capture the feel of Chris Wraight’s Vaults & Watchers books which are contemporaneous made me happy. Having these different sitting “together” will really flesh out this period in the lore/timeline.

Am very curious who the other writers will be, especially as Haley is “lead” as it makes me further doubt any of the top tier will be involved!

Reading Guy Haley saying he/they tried to capture the feel of Chris Wraight’s Vaults & Watchers books which are contemporaneous made me happy. Having these different sitting “together” will really flesh out this period in the lore/timeline.

Am very curious who the other writers will be, especially as Haley is “lead” as it makes me further doubt any of the top tier will be involved!

I hope we get to see some of the newer writers. Peter McLean or Nate Crowley. Probably not the full novel but maybe later on they can add novellas/short stories.

It could be anyone, its worth remembering Haley has a long history inside GW and management experience which is probably a big asset herding authors :D 

The interview keeps me hyped up for the release.

Gonna try to get the LE, as well, for some additional background stuff, etc.

Here's hope that DoF might be a decent series throughout the novels.

Almost an entirely unknown era, lots of potential and a big sandbox to play with, as well. :)

It could be anyone, its worth remembering Haley has a long history inside GW and management experience which is probably a big asset herding authors :D

Absolutely. Haley is probably an excellent choice to lead this series. Pure unfounded speculation on my part but I will be surprised to see the likes of Abnett, ADB, French or Wraight featuring in this series. Would also be willing to bet a large sum that Farrer won’t feature and everything I own that Fehervari won’t be on the list!

Would be happy to see Brooks, Guymer, Harrison, Hill ss they are all really good. Suspect Kyme will stick to editing duties.

Probably totally wrong of course!!!

Haley is very good at incorporating others work into his own and dark imperium was already pretty good so I'm excited. If he nails that wraight-esq Terra...ohhh boy.

I'm not the biggest fan of Guy Haley but he is by far the best at taking what others have done and running with it. The man truly does 'stand on the shoulders of giants' and doesn't attempt to reinvent the wheel every time it's His Turn

Would his Dark Imperium books have been as good without Know No Fear? Probably not, but he did a solid job at extending Dan Abnett's Guilliman into the contemporary setting all the same

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the success and popularity of both Dark Imperium books helped launch this series

Edited by Bobss

I don’t think there is any basis for working out which authors will be involved from Haley helping to run the series. It’s not as though there is a strict hierarchy of authors and they won’t work ‘for’ someone ‘below’ them, or the role needs the ‘highest’ ranked author they can get. Also, as others have noted there are different skillsets involved in writing a novel and developing and managing a broader arc for novels to fit into.

I just think it's a real step up for Haley. Remember that he was the guy (pun intended) to try and clear up the mess that was The Beast Arises on short wordcounts and basically having to wrap up two books' worth of plotpoints and buildup in one. Now he's the one in charge of avoiding a similar mess with this one.

I don’t think there is any basis for working out which authors will be involved from Haley helping to run the series. It’s not as though there is a strict hierarchy of authors and they won’t work ‘for’ someone ‘below’ them, or the role needs the ‘highest’ ranked author they can get. Also, as others have noted there are different skillsets involved in writing a novel and developing and managing a broader arc for novels to fit into.

Agreed there is no “official hierarchy” but without doubt there is an unofficial one.

Haley is defo right guy to steer a ship as lead author. As @DC says he is kind of the go to guy to smooth out lore issues and tighten plot threads. He is really good at that.

Also good to know they learned from TBA mistakes.

My take away from interview is that DoF is not being done same way as SoT either. It is not a writers room with full on brainstorming to figure it all out and divi up work/plots etc. Haley and Kyme have defined a blueprint and story arcs. Each author will have wriggle room as long as they stick to delivering within those arcs.

I predict Haley will do a right solid job with the first entry...I thought his handling of Guilliman in DE was the best aspect of the book.

If this is truly going to be a long-running series like the HH series, really excited for Abnett and Wraight to get involved. Just afraid ADB wouldn't want to touch it.

"May we finally introduce you to the great team of writers who will take us into the great and exciting era of the Indomitus Crusade;

- Gy Alyh

- Gey Riley

- Gustave Hale

- Guiliaume Cawlem

- and last but not least, Guy Hayley

No, there names are entirely coincidental though we admit that they have a nice rang to them and something familiar...

Whatever. We're glad to finally start with you, the amazing and absolutely non questioning community of our all-beloved Warhammer. Stay tuned for our coming author interviews, provided by the man himself, Guy Haley (our new authors are quite shy, you know so he did it in their names - what a great leader he is <3)!"

WarCom team, August 2020

Edited by Kelborn

"May we finally introduce you to the great team of writers who will take us into the great and exciting era of the Indomitus Crusade;

- Gy Alyh

- Gey Riley

- Gustave Hale

- Guiliaume Cawlem

- and last but not least, Guy Hayley

No, there names are entirely coincidental though we admit that they have a nice rang to them and something familiar...

Whatever. We're glad to finally start with you, the amazing and absolutely non questioning community of our all-beloved Warhammer. Stay tuned for our coming author interviews, provided by the man himself, Guy Haley (our new authors are quite shy, you know so he did it in their names - what a great leader he is <3)!"

WarCom team, August 2020

Lol - actually if there was any BL author who could pull off the whole series it would be Guy Haley. His volume of output is insane!

I think the second book is going to Thorpe...calling it now

I'd be mega chuffed with that. His The Emperor Expects at book 3 was a terrific addition to TBA. (Significantly more to my tastes than I Am Slaughter. And on-par with Predator, Prey)

---

Also, @Kelborn, I think you forgot the irrepressible Hay Guley from your (excellent!) list.

---

On the topic of TBA - Guy's Beheaded was ace too.

Hell, I'm quite excited for this now. :D