Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rules preview

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
454 replies to this topic

Slayer le Boucher

Slayer le Boucher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,595 posts
  • Faction: Knights of the Dark Blade

I like how they're talking about a lot of the 9 things and saying "we've reworked from the ground up" and "it's a new weapon type". These things aren't new; they existed previously and just got tossed out the window for 8th. It really gets me that they basically pretend that last editions didn't exist and the problems aren't directly the cutting out of game mechanics.

Yes, I laughed pretty hard when they talked about flyers leaving the board and returning later. This was already in the game six years ago!

Yeah it was really hilarious...

Oh well...

Maybe in 10th Ed in 3 years we'll get back Explosion templates...

• Warhead01, Roland Durendal, templargdt and 2 others like this

we_badge_slayer.pnggallery_29004_10514_3133.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_2479.pngdnvr16J.jpg

World Eaters Legion & Deamons Horde                                                  
R.I.P Eamon 2005-2012, my loyal and beloved mountain berness dog

"Chapter Tactics: Because there are more differences between Imperial Fists 2nd and 3rd Companies, than there are between Alpha Legion and Word Bearers!"

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,085 posts

So they're changing things back to the way you like and you're... complaining? Couldn't be me!

Very enthused about these changes. Excited to learn more!

You missed the point by a mile. Any complaining is about the marketing and quality of the preview, not the actual changes. It's not the biggest preview ever, it's not groundbreaking new rules. Etc etc.

• Slayer le Boucher and SkimaskMohawk like this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,916 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

You missed the point by a mile. Any complaining is about the marketing and quality of the preview, not the actual changes. It's not the biggest preview ever, it's not groundbreaking new rules. Etc etc.

Pretty sure he didn't miss the point at all.

Everyone knows it's "marketing hype" - if you bought into it, it's your fault you got sold down their rabbit hole. If you didn't recognize it, or can't just ignore it, like others do, then again, personal problem - it isn't going to stop.

This is about the rules, not marketing, move on. If folks want to talk marketing, start a thread for that.

----------------

Personally I'm not so sure I like the tanks firing point blank in Melee phase - I'd rather have seen pintle weapons only for something like that, and Tank Shock type attacks, with the main gun(s) still be able to fire at other units.
  • Dracos, Son of Carnelian, Volt and 1 other like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,798 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion

So they're changing things back to the way you like and you're... complaining? Couldn't be me!

Very enthused about these changes. Excited to learn more!

I'm complaining about the optics of how pre-8th basically didn't exist mechanically. Pretty easy to pick up on.

• Slayer le Boucher likes this

RikuEru

RikuEru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,287 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
This is not a Rules preview; but info regarding the distribution of Codex Rules:

4nXzwM4.png

And I think this should be communicated much more, because it might mend some wounds.
(I know this addition comes later than it needed to be, but still... it's nice it's finally here.)

Edited by RikuEru, 23 May 2020 - 02:12 PM.

• G8Keeper, Noserenda, Triszin and 11 others like this

q6c0AMP.pngUZREYOk.pngrm0hCox.png4bqeAKq.pngSuMQ47R.png

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,965 posts

This is not a Rules preview; but info regarding the distribution of Codex Rules:

4nXzwM4.png

finally.

And I hope the app works well. like really well

• mithrilforge and Lord Raven 19 like this
banana

Fenriwolf

Fenriwolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists

4nXzwM4.png

And I think this should be communicated much more, because it might mend some wounds.
(I know this addition comes later than it needed to be, but still... it's nice it's finally here.)

This is cool...

...unless it comes with a huge price hike attached

• Trevak Dal and Lord Raven 19 like this

Syphid

Syphid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 787 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Absolution

I like how they're talking about a lot of the 9 things and saying "we've reworked from the ground up" and "it's a new weapon type". These things aren't new; they existed previously and just got tossed out the window for 8th. It really gets me that they basically pretend that last editions didn't exist and the problems aren't directly the cutting out of game mechanics.

Yes, I laughed pretty hard when they talked about flyers leaving the board and returning later. This was already in the game six years ago!
Yeah it was really hilarious...

Oh well...

Maybe in 10th Ed in 3 years we'll get back Explosion templates...

I've been mostly sitting out 8th ed because of things like random number of shots, variable command points, and other goofy rules like relics. Maybe 9th will bring me back in. If not, 10th ed will be announced around 2023...
  • Slayer le Boucher, Interrogator Stobz, Roland Durendal and 1 other like this

"Hatred is the Emperor's greatest gift to humanity."

Covenant_of_Caliban_2_Banner.jpg4bVlhOy.jpg

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)

I lay money that if it was looked into, GW has staff that used to work for videogame companies famous for franchises.

Yearly franchises. Like call of Duty
  • Slayer le Boucher, Volt, Lord Raven 19 and 1 other like this

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,589 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

My hope is that the CP system gets re-worked completely. Doing things in-game like holding OBJ or killing a unit/type earns you CP and such.

Overall my hope with terrain and flyers and unit types in general is that they function with a bit of logic. Aka "that's an airplane. Your Ork Boy can't jump up and hit it." rather than being a slave to a wonky ruleset. Things should function overall how a reasonable person approaching the table should think they function, filtered through how the game mechanics actually works. The fiddly bit should be in how something does something rather than if it can at all. 

• mithrilforge, Slayer le Boucher, Interrogator Stobz and 2 others like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,967 posts

Hold on so let me get this straight...I get to have a Captain get utterly destroyed smiting Xenos scum in service of Him on Terra...and he can come back in later games as a Dreadnought for another bash at them???

Sold.

• Noserenda, Altis and NKirkham24 like this

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,749 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Any idea how we send in the questions for the Q&A?
  • Master Commander Ajax likes this
I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,589 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I lay money that if it was looked into, GW has staff that used to work for videogame companies famous for franchises.

GW could learn a lot from the video game industry: namely that patches and bug fixes are free. 

• Master Commander Ajax, ThatOneMarshal, Volt and 1 other like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,130 posts
They said everyone starts with same CP and you spend CP to unlock more detachments. Assume therell be unit limits/rules for basic detachment eg 3 troops units

D6 shots weapons will be auto 6 shots against large infantry units

Got vibe flyers can move off board but miss a turns shooting in effect

Edited by Dark Shepherd, 23 May 2020 - 02:20 PM.

• Warhead01 and noigrim like this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,648 posts

Why did we need a new edition for this? Could have been FAQd at any point over the last 3 years

Because after a certain point, people would complain it's not in a single place.

It's exactly like AoS' 2nd edition.

GW could learn a lot from the video game industry: namely that patches and bug fixes are free.

Yeah, but GW could also learn things that aren't free. Also, those patches and bug fixes are free for now. With how big companies are monetizing whatever they can, that could change....

• Trevak Dal and Volt like this

Fenriwolf

Fenriwolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 222 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists

if there is a place i don't want GW to take hint from,it's the videogame world.

Looks at EA...

• Trevak Dal likes this

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,025 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Any idea how we send in the questions for the Q&A?

Twitter - you need to tweet at GW's Warhammer Community account

• Captain Idaho likes this

bRxSYDV.png

Emperor's Children 22ᶮᵈ Millennial

Sons of Horus 29th Company

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,085 posts

Pretty sure he didn't miss the point at all.

Everyone knows it's "marketing hype" - if you bought into it, it's your fault you got sold down their rabbit hole. If you didn't recognize it, or can't just ignore it, like others do, then again, personal problem - it isn't going to stop.

This is about the rules, not marketing, move on. If folks want to talk marketing, start a thread for that.

I also said quality of the previews.  That includes the previewed rules. The rules preview was just as poor. It barely told us anything. The wee two minute video was a fantastic round up of the coming rules changes. It was amusing and well made. The 10 (15?) minutes of discussion afterwards gave almost no extra preview of the rules, which given it was a rules preview isn't very good.

On top of that I identified their comment about ground breaking rules as being misleading, which is again, about the rules preview.

I have no issue with you Bryan, but in this instance I feel you're mis-interpreting what was said and being overly confrontational about it.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,829 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Hold on so let me get this straight...I get to have a Captain get utterly destroyed smiting Xenos scum in service of Him on Terra...and he can come back in later games as a Dreadnought for another bash at them???

Sold.

I mean, what's stopping you from doing that now? Because it's an official Games Workshop™ approved shopping list/collection list?

Edited by Lord Marshal, 23 May 2020 - 02:24 PM.

• Warhead01 and Sandlemad like this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)

Sold.

Wouldn't he have a worse (base dreadnought) profile?

I mean, I like the idea. It will sell more models.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,261 posts

Why did we need a new edition for this? Could have been FAQd at any point over the last 3 years

Because then they couldn't sell you a $70+ US dollar book.

source.gif

• templargdt likes this

we_badge_ezra.png

TootiusNootius

TootiusNootius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts
  • Faction: Admech and Necrons

Personally I'm not so sure I like the tanks firing point blank in Melee phase - I'd rather have seen pintle weapons only for something like that, and Tank Shock type attacks, with the main gun(s) still be able to fire at other units.

I assume tanks won't be able to shoot the unit attacking them, therefore making melee units tagging them safe while not making the tank useless? Best of both worlds IMO.

Edited by TootiusNootius, 23 May 2020 - 02:28 PM.

++01010000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000++

XbyD1Ew.png?1

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,648 posts

I assume tanks won't be able to shoot the unit attacking them, therefore making melee units tagging them safe while not making the tank useless? Best of both worlds IMO.

Per a mate who's done playtesting:

"Only thing is blast weapons on vehicles cannot be fired in combat against the unit they are engaged with
For fear of blowing themselves up

But if you have multiple weapons you can shoot them too, declare the blast on another unit and if those kill the models you are engaged with you can still fire at the other unit."

And since most tanks are equipped with Blast Weapons (laughs in Land Raider)

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,085 posts

Sold.

I mean, what's stopping you from doing that now? Because it's an official Games Workshop™ approved shopping list/collection list?

True, but there's also something really nice about having it official. Especially if you play with people who won't consider anything beyond official rules (though players like that are probably less interested in narrative play).

• ThatOneMarshal likes this

TootiusNootius

TootiusNootius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts
  • Faction: Admech and Necrons

Per a mate who's done playtesting:

"Only thing is blast weapons on vehicles cannot be fired in combat against the unit they are engaged with
For fear of blowing themselves up

But if you have multiple weapons you can shoot them too, declare the blast on another unit and if those kill the models you are engaged with you can still fire at the other unit."

And since most tanks are equipped with Blast Weapons (laughs in Land Raider)

Sounds good to me, get away from the main gun and sponsons actually have a use - I rate that. 

++01010000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001111 01101101 01101110 01101001 01110011 01110011 01101001 01100001 01101000++

XbyD1Ew.png?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users