New Trailer features Sisters of Battle

I just got so pumped up after seeing the new trailer released today.

I am very excited that our beloved Sisters really seem as if they are stepping up to the plate and getting the consideration that, it seems to me, they have not had in times past.

Maybe new Chainsword wielding Celestians at 2:52? That would be excellent.

Edited by Montford

I'm glad to see the Sisters being portrayed as actual humans with actual brains, actual agency, actual strengths and weaknesses. I was concerned they'd either become Mary Sues with no human weaknesses, and thus, NOT HUMAN (see the many "strong female protagonists" with which incompetent writers flood comic books and other media in an attempt to erase our memory of our favorite characters); or as the living embodiment of the Worf Effect, existing only to be butchered in a demonstration of the enemy's strength, possibly by their own side (I haven't forgiven Matt Ward for the "Khornate Knights" incident from 5th Edition's Codex: Grey Knights).

It's also good to know ceramite can resist Necron gauss weapons, and Imperial forces actually have a chance against the foul xenos.

Trailer was great, and I'm glad Sisters have been highlighted. Also happy if there are sisters in the new starter set.

A new edition is not what I wanted- I'm devastated by this announcement. Three more years of rebuying books I already have before anything new is likely to be developed.

They had so much potential to actually move us forward. I'm sure I'll come around eventually, but right now I'm still in the rage phase. I can't believe that we're going to have to put up with wave after wave of space marine reboots before anything interesting happens. And I am seriously bitter at how happy some people are about it.

I should keep my whining on Dakka and let B&C continue to be a happy place.

It's a very nice video for sure, though I guess the Guardsmen got the short straw there this time!

For the announcements in general, 9th really was a given. We'll see how it shakes out, but even just tanks being able to shoot in CC is worthy of "PRAISE THE EMPEROR!". Even better if they can "tank shock", too. I'm not happy about rebuying books in general, but at least for now the old books will still work with it. I mean, new edition or not the Codices would've went for a new round soon anyway to "compile" the various sources together as well as make bigger adjustments and changes.

A new edition is not what I wanted- I'm devastated by this announcement. Three more years of rebuying books I already have before anything new is likely to be developed.

You and I both. The sheer expense of constantly having to buy new Codices, has diminished my interest in the game.

they announced that all previous codexs work with the new rules, most of the core isn't changing just polishing.  Its really more of an 8.5 edition than a true overhaul.  So there is that.  Sisters just got their dex so they are good, necrons and primaris on the other hand might be needing new ones with all the new units foreseen.

According to what I read in the email, there may not be a starter box but we'll see. I'm really anxious for necron stuff but not the price tag, thank goodness I have a huge army already and only lack a few 5hings for my sisters.

Owning codexes is fair enough but it's easy enough to collate the info you actually need that I haven't bought one in years. They're updated too frequently, get FAQed so often and laid out in a pain in the ass sort of way that makes them annoying as game reference material anyway. Just borrow them when you need them :p

Trailer was great, and I'm glad Sisters have been highlighted. Also happy if there are sisters in the new starter set.

They had so much potential to actually move us forward. I'm sure I'll come around eventually, but right now I'm still in the rage phase. I can't believe that we're going to have to put up with wave after wave of space marine reboots before anything interesting happens. And I am seriously bitter at how happy some people are about it.

I rather felt the same way until I watched the live stream from GW this morning. Seems more as if 9th is akin to 8.5 ;)  I gathered that the basic mechanics will not change in any major fashion. The main changes I recall from the livestream are that terrain will have more of an impact (good), tanks are not prohibited from firing if engage in melee by infantry (good), fliers may depart the playing field and return to the battle (I am interested in seeing how this mechanic works). there were several others they spoke of which I cannot remember at present.

The video is making me think that Celestians might be able to be equipped as Space Marine veterans can be: with a chainsword and bolt pistol.  And if they are in a new box set then that would be a first for my favorite faction. This is all speculation on my part but it seems reasonable at this point.

I'm really happy and excited. Not because of the announcement, which was a bit lacklustre... The trailer is fantastic, I watched it four times, but the preview was not the one I expected. I left halfway the live twitch and went back on WHC three hours later to get the summary. The leaks with the new models are absolutely a blast... But apart from these, there is a high expectation in me, that this edition will be something really fun to play. Not because of the advertising, but something "in my guts" tells me, that I need to keep a close eye on the new edition. :ohmy.:

I know that we got a full range update only 3 months ago, but I still hope that we will get some new toys in the new edition (please GW, give us an Aquila-shaped Fighter!). Already considering some Primaris allies to the Ladies, and maybe I will invest in some bad guys too... 

Sisters were in the trailer, and that's cool, but they aren't in the box, so it's all smoke and mirrors. It's like the scraps thrown to us from the plates of Marine players- sorry, you're important enough that we'll put you in a trailer, but you're not important enough to make it into the box.

The change of rules doesn't bother me- the new ones sound like they might even be better.

It's the lost design time. I had hopes for a flier (not a hovering altar, but an actual Sororitas Airship) within a year. Don't get me wrong, we've had a lot of attention in the past seven months, and they are continuing to think about us moving forward, and I'm not ungrateful. Had this not happened, I'd have put the odds of getting that wish within a year at somewhere from 30-40%.

It is now ZERO.

Ditto on a Sisters lord of war.

There's still a 25% chance we get one or the other within the next THREE years. But it certainly isn't happening year one of a new edition. 

So yeah, great movie.

I'm glad to see the Sisters being portrayed as actual humans with actual brains, actual agency, actual strengths and weaknesses. I was concerned they'd either become Mary Sues with no human weaknesses, and thus, NOT HUMAN (see the many "strong female protagonists" with which incompetent writers flood comic books and other media in an attempt to erase our memory of our favorite characters); or as the living embodiment of the Worf Effect, existing only to be butchered in a demonstration of the enemy's strength, possibly by their own side (I haven't forgiven Matt Ward for the "Khornate Knights" incident from 5th Edition's Codex: Grey Knights).

It's also good to know ceramite can resist Necron gauss weapons, and Imperial forces actually have a chance against the foul xenos.

Came here just to gush over this cinematic. Favourite xenos faction my beloved girls featuring. So good to see. Obligatory space marine showing but at least they didn't steal the show and hog the stage the moment they showed up like usual.

On the gaus vs ceramite thing, I see that more as the only reason her arm didn't disintegrate was due to her faith as that little prayer scene (reminiscent of the art work on codex) seems to imply. You can see the ceramics glove slowly disintegrating.

That said, you did say Resistant, not Impervious, which is a good point. I think a lot of people hear resistant and think it should be utterly impervious as opposed to just being something that outlasts the affect of one off shot. As we see marines actually going down quite easily to sustained gauss shots later in the cinematic (immensely satisfying to see).

I rather felt the same way until I watched the live stream from GW this morning. Seems more as if 9th is akin to 8.5 :wink:  I gathered that the basic mechanics will not change in any major fashion. The main changes I recall from the livestream are that terrain will have more of an impact (good), tanks are not prohibited from firing if engage in melee by infantry (good), fliers may depart the playing field and return to the battle (I am interested in seeing how this mechanic works). there were several others they spoke of which I cannot remember at present.

The video is making me think that Celestians might be able to be equipped as Space Marine veterans can be: with a chainsword and bolt pistol.  And if they are in a new box set then that would be a first for my favorite faction. This is all speculation on my part but it seems reasonable at this point.

I feel like we've had our fill of the standard codex option kits, anything new will likely be a new introduction. The celestians are accounted for in the standard troop box.

The celestians are a very solid option at the moment anyway, keep them near their canoness and their reliability is stellar combined with acts of faith. I was a bit disappointed they didn't get a close combat loadout in the refresh but their re-roll rule's been a good compromise.

Who had to pull the charge-happy Space Marine's collective asses out of the fire?

Sisters, that's who.

I feel sorry for that one Guardsman after watching two of her comrades disintegrate like that. The Karskin didn't even get to fire once.

Edited by Sir_Gaea

In terms of new models, is the Sister of Battle model on the new website (basic Sister with what looks like a bionic arm) an existing sculpt or new? I’m not familiar enough with the range to say for sure.

https://warhammer40000.com

Dallo

There is one with a bionic arm in the multipart battle sisters Box.

I'll preface this with the statement that given that 9th sounds very much like a refinement of 8th and that the Sisters rules are fine now, they likely will be fine transitioning to 9th because the capacity to detect sarcasm is not necessarily a skill people have.

Damn it. Of course the sisters would get rules just before the edition is taken out back and shot, par for the bloody course with this army. Time to throw all my models on a bonfire and curse the existence of GW and late stage capitalism again.

While I am excited for the changes and general refresh of 8th with 9th edition coming, a part of me does hate that, as Banjulhu said, Sisters get a new and shiny codex just as the edition ends. It's just so predictable at this point. 2nd edition to 3rd, then nothing until 5th, a digital thing in 6th and most of 7th, then Imperial Agents and new shiny Celestine just in time for 7th to end, and now the same is happening. At least this time hopefully our rules will not be gutted by any if the core changes! With everything that's happened for us it makes no sense for our rules to get completely railroaded, since we are even featured on the new site as a "main" faction right now.

Cool video :) I'm so excited about this. I just hope they won't butcher the whole game like they did with fantasy.

While I am excited for the changes and general refresh of 8th with 9th edition coming, a part of me does hate that, as Banjulhu said, Sisters get a new and shiny codex just as the edition ends. It's just so predictable at this point. 2nd edition to 3rd, then nothing until 5th, a digital thing in 6th and most of 7th, then Imperial Agents and new shiny Celestine just in time for 7th to end, and now the same is happening. At least this time hopefully our rules will not be gutted by any if the core changes! With everything that's happened for us it makes no sense for our rules to get completely railroaded, since we are even featured on the new site as a "main" faction right now.

I can sort of relate to this. If there weren't an army for every SM chapter they wouldn't have to put all their time into updating armies.

I had the feeling that they put into this trailer a small homage to the Return of the King. 

Its the scene at the Battle of the Pellenor Fields when Eowyn is fighting the Witch King, Merry stabs it from behind, and then Eowyn stabs it in the face.

Here we have a Sister fighting the nasty Necron hero, the Space Marine stabs it from behind, and then the Sister cuts its head off.

Well I like the notion ;)  And if they actually did do that intentionally I think that would be very, very cool.

I had the feeling that they put into this trailer a small homage to the Return of the King.

Its the scene at the Battle of the Pellenor Fields when Eowyn is fighting the Witch King, Merry stabs it from behind, and then Eowyn stabs it in the face.

Here we have a Sister fighting the nasty Necron hero, the Space Marine stabs it from behind, and then the Sister cuts its head off.

I'm glad someone appreciates the classics of both literature and cinema. Too many people nowadays are content to trash the classics.