An Ancient Evil Awakens

NTaW

Disappointed so far, but keeping my hopes up for all the other previewed models! New mono, New rules...?

Well, the new monolith model has different guns on it compared to the old one. The classic square portal on it is gone, as is the giant crystal on top. I can only assume with a new model and different weapon loadout it'll have new rules to match. Every other old unit that has been previewed has received a tweak so I'd say the Monolith getting new rules is a safe bet, especially considering how vocal the community has been about its poor performance in 8th. The res orb getting a rework is just wishlisting on my part.

Disappointed so far, but keeping my hopes up for all the other previewed models! New mono, New rules...?

Well, the new monolith model has different guns on it compared to the old one. The classic square portal on it is gone, as is the giant crystal on top. I can only assume with a new model and different weapon loadout it'll have new rules to match. Every other old unit that has been previewed has received a tweak so I'd say the Monolith getting new rules is a safe bet, especially considering how vocal the community has been about its poor performance in 8th. The res orb getting a rework is just wishlisting on my part.

It definitely has new weapon options, new rules are a shoe-in, but the portal & crystal are most certainly still there, just redesigned into a crackling wall of energy & sphere respectively

new-monolith.jpg

F3bOy2R2q9tMTf64.jpg

Article, including link to free core rules

Each Convergence of Dominion consists of three Starstele (they’re the big obelisk-type things), which are seriously durable and armed with impressively deadly transdimensional abductors! Even better, they bolster units from your dynasty that are nearby and, with the help of a friendly Cryptek, can perform Translocation Protocols to redeploy across the battlefield. Yeah… these are great.

Anyone else feel like its a slap in the face that the Skorpehk Lord only has...4 attacks....Less than an intercessor Sgt with a chainsword?
The Overlord still has 3 attacks....the Hyperphase Glaive lost a point of AP over the Warscythe, and went to d3 damage instead of flat 2.

How are we supposed to keep the reanimator alive? Its not a character, has a tiny number of wounds, no invuln, no quantum, and a 4+ save? I'm so confused unless hiding it with LOS is gonna be super easy

Anyone else feel like its a slap in the face that the Skorpehk Lord only has...4 attacks....Less than an intercessor Sgt with a chainsword?

The Overlord still has 3 attacks....the Hyperphase Glaive lost a point of AP over the Warscythe, and went to d3 damage instead of flat 2.

How are we supposed to keep the reanimator alive? Its not a character, has a tiny number of wounds, no invuln, no quantum, and a 4+ save? I'm so confused unless hiding it with LOS is gonna be super easy

I don't disagree with the points you make. Our damage output has always felt like we were supposed to play stead attrition damage rather than the spike damage of an army like space marines. In practice we've never been given the resilience to make that play style work. Until we see points and the reanimation rework we are not going to have a great idea if we've been cheated or if GW has finally keyed in on making us a relentless army.

While I agree at first glance it looks like the marines are better than us at most everything, I still have hope that GW will be doing us right in the end. They said numerous times how the reanimation rule was not working as intended and that whatever we will end up getting will feel relentless.

With that being said, while it is frustrating at times to see our advanced ancient alien tech pale in comparison to marines and the like, something has to give somewhere. You can't have a tough as nails army that also outperforms in the damage dealing dept. Something has to give. And so, assuming GW has finally built our army rules in a way that really represents undead robots that just dont stay down, I can easily deal with having ok damage output. I'd rather have weapons that have a chance of coming back to attack again and again over high strength "once it's dead its dead" stuff.

It feels great to be right :wink: ....They are sort of "Portal Pods" after all :wub:  it means the monolith wont be target number 1 like it used to be.... and terrain as well (more great looking stuff on the table)

Mithril

Whether or not the rules are worth using, I'll be buying two sets.  If the rules are awful, it's terrain.  If they rules are good, one will be modified into a terrain piece (some AdMech scaffolding around them to make it more functionally like a building or chop it up and build something unique).  The rules will only determine what order they end up getting grabbed in.  I've wanted Necron terrain for years but my scratch builds have all looked absolutely terrible, just don't have time to make something look ok

Whether or not the rules are worth using, I'll be buying two sets.  If the rules are awful, it's terrain.  If they rules are good, one will be modified into a terrain piece (some AdMech scaffolding around them to make it more functionally like a building or chop it up and build something unique).  The rules will only determine what order they end up getting grabbed in.  I've wanted Necron terrain for years but my scratch builds have all looked absolutely terrible, just don't have time to make something look ok

* reminds me of the sisters book where the necrons are on the planet and the Ad-mech are trying to glean the necron tech from under the sisters noses...

you could put a datasmith or Magos on the platform to look like he's studying it...make it an Objective perhaps :happy.:

I may get two or three sets as I might want them to all look pristine in one group as i'm sure they will all be different pieces i.e. one half damaged, one pristine etc..  

happy to see a set of paints and washes for necrons as well :wub:

Mithril

The funny part is I think the Skorpehk Lord is the best of the bunch.
If it is 130 pts will all gear included I think it is a very good all rounder unit and I will almost always play two of those with wraith bodyguards.

The T6, 3+ 4++ and self rerolls means that they are self sufficient and don't need to be in range of any blob they can also advance and shoot decently.

2 of them will definitely charge something on turn 2 and will murder primaris, tanks and hordes easily.

I start to feel that the best way to play necrons in 9th will be melee.

Lot of wraiths (depending how they are costed), lots of scarabs to screen (which are now points for points the best swarm in the game).

One flying cryptek to improve the melee wave RP and field some murder buckets.

Overlords on command barge that boost everyones movement and advances and give +1 hit on wraiths.

I think I will keep the warrior blob to strict minimum.

Whether or not the rules are worth using, I'll be buying two sets. If the rules are awful, it's terrain. If they rules are good, one will be modified into a terrain piece (some AdMech scaffolding around them to make it more functionally like a building or chop it up and build something unique). The rules will only determine what order they end up getting grabbed in. I've wanted Necron terrain for years but my scratch builds have all looked absolutely terrible, just don't have time to make something look ok

Please, please make scaffolding and post pictures. I'm sitting here laughing at the thought of one of these coming on while some hapless scion of Mars is chipping away at the rock :lol:

I've been staring at this image for a while now and they look to me like three distinct models and not one kit made three ways. Too many distinct and different patterns to the fractures and chips in the rock.

Box of three or buy three boxes?

I'm not sure on the new rules yet. I know I've struggled with my Army for a while now but win or lose, I love playing them. As for my army, it's about to get 2x box sets bigger.

Hey mithrilforge, it's cool you mention that book. That's where my paint scheme for my necrons came from.

Which book is that please?

I'm looking at warrior blobs, tomb blades recce, immortal elites, lychguard bodyguard, lord, skorpekh and entourage, heavy Destroyers, scary walkers and monolith(s)... Fluff dependent.

I'm a touch excited

Whether or not the rules are worth using, I'll be buying two sets. If the rules are awful, it's terrain. If they rules are good, one will be modified into a terrain piece (some AdMech scaffolding around them to make it more functionally like a building or chop it up and build something unique). The rules will only determine what order they end up getting grabbed in. I've wanted Necron terrain for years but my scratch builds have all looked absolutely terrible, just don't have time to make something look ok

Please, please make scaffolding and post pictures. I'm sitting here laughing at the thought of one of these coming on while some hapless scion of Mars is chipping away at the rock :lol:

I've been staring at this image for a while now and they look to me like three distinct models and not one kit made three ways. Too many distinct and different patterns to the fractures and chips in the rock.

Box of three or buy three boxes?

I'm convinced it's one box of the three specific models

I'm looking at warrior blobs, tomb blades recce, immortal elites, lychguard bodyguard, lord, skorpekh and entourage, heavy Destroyers, scary walkers and monolith(s)... Fluff dependent.

I'm a touch excited

The book is called "hammer and anvil". It's a great read as well as its predecessor "faith and fire". Enjoy!

I'm a touch excited

"Hammer & Anvil" by James Swallow.

Mithril

The funny part is I think the Skorpehk Lord is the best of the bunch.

If it is 130 pts will all gear included I think it is a very good all rounder unit and I will almost always play two of those with wraith bodyguards.

The T6, 3+ 4++ and self rerolls means that they are self sufficient and don't need to be in range of any blob they can also advance and shoot decently.

2 of them will definitely charge something on turn 2 and will murder primaris, tanks and hordes easily.

I start to feel that the best way to play necrons in 9th will be melee.

Lot of wraiths (depending how they are costed), lots of scarabs to screen (which are now points for points the best swarm in the game).

One flying cryptek to improve the melee wave RP and field some murder buckets.

Overlords on command barge that boost everyones movement and advances and give +1 hit on wraiths.

I think I will keep the warrior blob to strict minimum.

Yes! Novekh's time has come. I knew I wasn't mad for painting Red Necrons.

I'm really not sure I like the vibe of a lot of this new stuff. It all looks a bit... Doctor Who. Really not sure what to make of the jet engine bois.

I'll be mixing in some of the new stuff, because the Indomitus set will be too much of a bargain for me to pass up, but I'm gonna have to find a way to covert the warriors to have green rods. Green rods are the true way. :D