An Ancient Evil Awakens

NTaW

None that I've seen or heard, to be sure I've only heard of RP being reworked not Living Metal.

Presumably the new Codex will drop with the releases following Indomitus and after the SM book. I can't imagine we'll be looking to a paper-in-box datasheet for the Silent King on release.

I've got my fingers crossed for RP letting you do a roll for the models in the unit the first time it is destroyed or something like that. Maybe blue-sky thinking but I like that idea

At that point I am almost sure now that RP will apply at the end of each phases and that would explain why RP dont count for morale tests.

What it means, is that we will still be denied reanimation if the unit is entirely destroyed in one shooting phase but will kind of help us survive, where before some firepower followed by a charge was almost guaranted to whipe out the unit.

This will most likely help us to buffer some of the damage from psychic phase to survive with some models after shooting phase.

Maybe they will also remove the stacking limit for RP but will also implement some negative effect on RP such as -1rp when models are destroyed with double str VS toughness (that would make rp insanely hard to keep track though).

I just hope that some stratagems or warlord traits will allow us to get some invo saves on our units

On another note, From the rules leak I really love what they are going for the silent king

and the interaction that it get with it's pylons.

Pretty much the strategy to take this monster down will be the same as against this Boss

(All the real ones know what I am talking about :wink:   )

I wonder if it was not an inspiration for it.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/4/4f/PAD_Braska%27s_Final_Aeon.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/300?cb=20161017182609

Rules dump from indomitus from SpikeyBits.

IMO my favorite rule (that hadnt already been previewed) is Their Number is Legion. rerolling 1's on warriors' RP? Yes please!

I also didn't know that the Warden was going to let us fall back and shoot and charge, which is very nice. 

Plasmancer gets an autosmite, with a defensive lightning field (but not the relic). Interestingly, the Plasmancer does not have an RP buff, and rather seems to be a damage guy only. Bring the cryptothralls for protection, and keep him at skirmish range, I guess. 

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

The plasmancer is handy for killing primaris or pinging vehicles. Nice support character and nice to see crypteks doing something different :)

Being able to fall back and dakka should make short ranged gauss warriors useful

My personal opinion is that, outside the s. lord, the character options from indomitus are pretty underwhelming.

They’ve either got too few attacks or really situational abilities. And their estimated point cost seems way to high for what they do.

Royal wardens ability is good. But again, situational. And he’s 4 PL, which puts him around 80 points. Plasmancer just seems bad to me. Overlord is still suffering from low attacks. At 5 PL we’re looking at a 100 point buff bot that can only buff one unit a turn still.

I love the look of the new models, and can’t wait to paint them up and get some games in. I’m just becoming more skeptical. I’m have my doubts on if Necrons will really be any better then they currently are in 8th.

I love the look of the new models, and can’t wait to paint them up and get some games in. I’m just becoming more skeptical. I’m have my doubts on if Necrons will really be any better then they currently are in 8th.

Look on the bright side....it would be really hard for us to get worse than we already are.

My personal opinion is that, outside the s. lord, the character options from indomitus are pretty underwhelming.

They’ve either got too few attacks or really situational abilities. And their estimated point cost seems way to high for what they do.

Royal wardens ability is good. But again, situational. And he’s 4 PL, which puts him around 80 points. Plasmancer just seems bad to me. Overlord is still suffering from low attacks. At 5 PL we’re looking at a 100 point buff bot that can only buff one unit a turn still.

I disagree wholeheartedly. These characters are miles better than what we currently have.

Royal Warden's ability is a lifesaver IMO. The ability to fall back and shoot in a midrange army is awesome. It also synergizes really well with the Gauss Reapers everyone has been scratching their head over.

The plasmancer gives us smite. Definitely not the best HQ in the game, but if you've got points to spare why not?

I dunno if you misread the overlord's sheet or not, but he does more than affect one unit per turn now. Only one unit can get his +1 to hit buff, but every Dynasty unit within 6 gets the +1 to move. That's pretty huge now that it affects multiple units and not just infantry.

Points wise, yeah they're expensive. But if RP and Living Metal are reworked into something usable, then there's our usual points premium. Welcome to Necrons :lol:

I don't love the Plasmancer. I'll try her out for sure because the model is awesome, but I tend to like characters that offer utility over pure damage

Totally. It'll be nice having the "middle management" expanded. I think that's definitely an area for most forces that can be looked at. So many races (bar marines...) lack. For most it's either supreme Warlord or Jeff the sergeant and nothing in between. Hoping we get expansion of this for everyone in 9th.

I don't really want the Marine one either.  My hope is there's a rule we haven't seen to let you deploy at the Starstele for units that you paid CP to put in reserves or something.  Or maybe if a unit has deep strike it can land at the Starstele even if that's within 9" of the enemy, something like that.  We need movement and utility more than infantry killing so the guns I'm not excited about at all.

On a related note - what does the Convergence even want to shoot at?  AP-3 and D3 are nice but what is T4 or less with more than 2 wounds and a good armor save?  

Depending on the datasheet and what's going on with it, I can see the Steeles being useful for maybe holding objectives and stopping people getting too close to them (might be big enough to literally sit on it) or for getting things like Linebreaker/Behind Enemy Lines (Whatever it's called) in a very reactionary way. All depends on the rest of their stats and point cost I suppose...

• 2 weeks later...

Some eagle eyes saw this from this morning's preview:

Mephrit:

add 3" to ranged weapons (epic for gauss reapers in deceiver bombs).

add -1 to ap within half ranged (expected but still good)

Protocol of Vengeful suns

Sautehk:

reroll morale (ok but just take Immortal pride..)

Rapid fire within 18" instead of 12" (very good).

Protocol of the Conquering Tyrant

Nephrekh:

Models have 6+ invul (4+ 6++ and QS on Doomsday oh mama)

auto advance and translocate now 6" but cannot shoot after.

Can move through units and terrain as if it wasnt there when falling back or translocating.

Protocol of Sudden Storm

Novohk:

add +1 to charge rolls

add -1 to Ap when charging, heroic intervention etc etc.

Protocol of the very Hungry Void(Nom)

Nihilahk:

All models gain objective secured and if unit already has objective secured add 1 to how many models control that objective.

-1 Ap attacks turn to 0Ap if the unit is within the "controllers?" deployment zone (so is that within our deployment zone?).

Protocol of internal Guardians.

Szarekhan:

Units ignore mortal wounds on 5+

reroll a single wound roll when unit is chosen to shoot or fight

Protocol of Undying Legion

October release? Ugh dang it. Was really hoping end of August or sept.

Edited by Ahzek451

Just squinted real hard and that all looks correct. Protocol rule states that it's active if all units excepting dynastic agents and C'tan shards are the same Dynasty then you can select both of that command protocol's directives instead of just one.

I assume that references yet unrevealed aspects of the new Codex books, the Command Phase, and possibly objectives.

Edited by NTaW

Just squinted real hard and that all looks correct. Protocol rule states that it's active if all units excepting dynastic agents and C'tan shards are the same Dynasty then you can select both of that command protocol's directives instead of just one.

Whatever that means.

Speculation. Praetorians and destroyer/flayed one units will be dynastic agents not benefiting from dynasty rules but also won’t break them. Similar to Scions and Astra Militarum.

It also sounds like if your army is purely from one dynasty each unit gets both buffs.

But, if you take 2+ dynasties in your army/detachment it no longer cancels all dynasty buffs. Instead you only get one from each dynasty, and you pick which is active.

I really like this idea if true. You can make buff your close shooty units with mephrit and your CC units with Novokh. Then make your objective grabbers Nihilakh.

Guys, you forget one important feature - Protocols. Which we don't know anything about yet (except, I assume, it's an equivalent of Doctrines and similar stuff). They can change buffs of Dynasties drastycally and they're all different for each Dynasty. And they have two bonuses to choose from (or both in pure Dynasty army).

Guys, you forget one important feature - Protocols. Which we don't know anything about yet (except, I assume, it's an equivalent of Doctrines and similar stuff). They can change buffs of Dynasties drastycally and they're all different for each Dynasty. And they have two bonuses to choose from (or both in pure Dynasty army).

Nice catch and a solid point. That's a big thing to look forward to.

The leaked sautehk rules for rapid fire is a bit weirdly worded. The way I read it is that it overwrites the regular rapid fire "double shot at half range" by "all rapid fire weapons are considered in rapid fire range when within 18" (I think that id the way it is worded in the leaked images). RAW that means that necrons warrior with gauss reapers will double shot at 18" regardless of the wepon range profile which seems like quite powerfull.

Does everyone read it that way with the current wordings?

Edited by angrom