An Ancient Evil Awakens

NTaW

I wouldn't worry too much. The data sheets for the new Recruit starter don't have any special rules or where to reference them on the data card. I suspect that as the new starters are aimed at new players this is to "avoid" rules overload and these new kits will be marked as "boosters" to your starter box.

Disappointed that the lokhust heavy destroyers don’t have the destroyer cult keyword to get rerolls from the Skorpekh lord.

"Yet".

I'd be cautious until we have the codex to be honest. They also don't have re rolls for themselves which destroyers have ALWAYS had. No different to reanimation protocols not being in the Indomitus stuff either.

Fairly certain our favoured murder bots will be at maximum extermination with the codex

Claws add +1, heavy weapon option D3 instead of Dd3. Whip coils are D1 but have an ability omitted I think.

Apologies for brief responses. I'll post a pic tonight when I'm home from work if noone beats me to it.

If that’s accompanied by a points drop, I don’t think the damage output lost will be too detrimental to how I use wraiths.

I’ve always viewed them as a tarpit unit personally.

Mostly because I roll terrible in CC and they never kill stuff lol.

I had a look at the datasheet. Wraiths get 4 attacks, so it compensates the 4+ WS.Save is also improved to 3+. Some reason they are now also Strength 4.

The weapon profiles have changed too.

Particle Casters go to Assault 2 (again to compensate the 4+ BS)

Whip coils have changed to Strength 4 (user). I imagine they'll get some sort of ability to deal with horde units.

Claws went down to Strength 5 (from 6), which is a pretty big nerf.

More interestingly, the Transdimensional Beamer is Strength +2, resulting in Strength 6. This is the first ranged weapon I know of that uses the unit's Strength. So any buffs to Strength will boost it's range as well as melee. I believe the damage is boosted to 3D as well.

Quite a shame with the nerf to claws, though the buff to the Beamer makes it interesting. Let's hope they keep their invuln save as well as other abilities!

Edited by Get Thokt

Big changes to heavy gauss cannons on the stalker. Going from a X2 St9, -4 d6 damage to x6 St7, -3 d3 damage makes a big change in what the gun is good for. It's far better now against typical monsters and transports but it has lost us an option for taking on heavy armor (T8) like Repulsors. I was excited to see Necrons getting new antitank options from new kits but I'm sad to see some old options going away.

In my opinion our antitank abilities (and severe lack of options) was one of our biggest failings as a faction once the port to 8th had crushed the use of basic gauss weapons for killing armor. This feels like a two steps forward, one step back sort of change.

Edited by Bonzi

It has me curious about the standard gauss cannon and how the current Destroyers will stack up in the new Codex that's for sure. I don't think they'll just drop them considering they're a cornerstone of the army but I'm thinking their role will be very different.

It has me curious about the standard gauss cannon and how the current Destroyers will stack up in the new Codex that's for sure. I don't think they'll just drop them considering they're a cornerstone of the army but I'm thinking their role will be very different.

If the strength progression stays flayer, reaper / blaster, cannon, heavy cannon the Gauss Cannon will likely stay str 6 but probably go to a flat 2 damage. It looks like they are retooling gauss to be anti-infantry to anti-monster while the tank punch will be via the doom cannon lineup and the new weapons the locust destroyers are packing.

I had a look at the datasheet. Wraiths get 4 attacks, so it compensates the 4+ WS.Save is also improved to 3+. Some reason they are now also Strength 4.

The weapon profiles have changed too.

Particle Casters go to Assault 2 (again to compensate the 4+ BS)

Whip coils have changed to Strength 4 (user). I imagine they'll get some sort of ability to deal with horde units.

Claws went down to Strength 5 (from 6), which is a pretty big nerf.

More interestingly, the Transdimensional Beamer is Strength +2, resulting in Strength 6. This is the first ranged weapon I know of that uses the unit's Strength. So any buffs to Strength will boost it's range as well as melee. I believe the damage is boosted to 3D as well.

Quite a shame with the nerf to claws, though the buff to the Beamer makes it interesting. Let's hope they keep their invuln save as well as other abilities!

A lot of Chaos Daemons use the bearer's strength for shooting attacks.

If the strength progression stays flayer, reaper / blaster, cannon, heavy cannon the Gauss Cannon will likely stay str 6 but probably go to a flat 2 damage. It looks like they are retooling gauss to be anti-infantry to anti-monster while the tank punch will be via the doom cannon lineup and the new weapons the locust destroyers are packing.

I like this, I guess we're looking at flayer/reaper/blaster/cannon/heavy cannon/destructor (holy gauss) for infantry. If the blaster is less shots and strength than the exterminator having the bump in damage seems sensible.

Edited by NTaW

If the basic cannon is s6 ap-3 D2 I think it far out strips the heavy variant due to the random damage.

Sadly I think it’ll go s6 ap-3 D1.

Really wish the new boxes were timed to be released with the new codex. We really need to see that before judging how it all fits together.

Lots of reveals and leaks today.

Immortals going to T5.

Gauss Blasters going to 30" range.

Weapon profiles revealed for Deathmarks.

Other previous leaks were Triarch Stalkers, Wraiths, Lychguard and Praetorians.

Immortals going to T5.

I didn't see the Lychguard stuff - Anything aside from 1 more attack for them?

Immortals going to T5, and having 30 inch range gauss is good.

They can cover camp a little harder, and Gauss in rapid fire, against a marine heavy meta is quite potent, that, and they will suffer less from massed s4/s5 shooting.

That being said, being worth 18 points a model will depend on what RP ends up looking like.

Immortals going to T5.

I didn't see the Lychguard stuff - Anything aside from 1 more attack for them?

Immortals going to T5, and having 30 inch range gauss is good.

They can cover camp a little harder, and Gauss in rapid fire, against a marine heavy meta is quite potent, that, and they will suffer less from massed s4/s5 shooting.

That being said, being worth 18 points a model will depend on what RP ends up looking like.

You can see Lychguard on the first post of the thread in the Rumors section. Not too much different, but better is better!

Yea, as much as I love all of these minor upgrades, the entire army will once again depend on how RP changes. If it continues to be garbage, then so goes the army unfortunately.