An Ancient Evil Awakens

NTaW

Not really feeling the Skorpekh guys. The idea is great, but their weapons are goofy big and their heads are goofy small and ordinary. They should've given them modded heads like Destroyers. Speaking of Destroyers, that new one looks so good. I wonder if he's a Destroyer, or a Heavy Destroyer, or maybe even a D-Lord? If they are phasing out (pun) all the green rod kits, then it'll probably be a dual Destroyer kit.

Honestly, everything else looks great. Can't wait.

Not really feeling the Skorpekh guys. The idea is great, but their weapons are goofy big and their heads are goofy small and ordinary. They should've given them modded heads like Destroyers. Speaking of Destroyers, that new one looks so good. I wonder if he's a Destroyer, or a Heavy Destroyer, or maybe even a D-Lord? If they are phasing out (pun) all the green rod kits, then it'll probably be a dual Destroyer kit.

Honestly, everything else looks great. Can't wait.

I get the feeling that destroyers are getting a change as far as organization. Obviously the model has. It's been beefed up to an extreme level. And we don't know if the skorpekh will be related to the hover destroyer since they both share the same D word. Now, while the new destroyer could have other weapon options, I get the sneaking suspicion that hover destroyers will be changed to squads of 1 or possibly 1-3 and regular and heavy will merge. Just this single massive hover necron. And a secondary class of close combat ground-based types. Heck, at this point GW could retcon/change what destroyers even are at this point. 

Why would they change the Destroyer cults' background? These new guys slot right in. A destroyer is just a necron who wants to kill everything, to the point where they modify thenselves to be better at killing. If anything, its weird we never had CC-destroyers before.

Because they can? Not saying they will. It's just not unheard of, especially if a kit has a big change or additions. It might stay exactly the same with the addition of the walky boys. Or it could have subtle changes like how destroyers are made and interact with each other. Who knows. Let's see and find out. 

I'd like to point out that the towering new lord is being (officially) called a Skorpekh Lord and not a Skorpekh Destroyer Lord, so it could be that these new units be all Skorpekh, the difference being the base unit being called Destroyers and their leader a Lord.

I'd like to know if the similarity between the Skorpekh and Szeras (their looks are alike even with Szeras being four legged) has any relation to this patron of Szeras who afforded him his new body being the Silent King; maybe the Skorpekh would have come back with the SK and then spread all over Necron forces, like Triarch Stalker/Praetorians?

P.S.: I know Triarch Stalkers and Praetorians were left behind; I meant Skorpekh being not specific dynasty related.

I definitly think as well that the skorpekh range is a construct of improved necrons by Szeras. The equivalent of primaris for cawl if you want. I dont think they are related to the destroyer cult. The big fat destroyer will probably be some kind of heavy support linked to destroyers but not the heavy destroyer.

I like lists and I was curious about everything we've seen. There are a lot of kits incoming for the line:

1. Skorpekh Lord

2. Skorpekh Destroyer (my guess is the Canoptek Plasmacyte comes with one of these two options as a unit upgrade)

3. Character option with warscythe and shooty-looking-thing attached to arm (Phaeron/Overlord/Lord/???)

4. Character option with staff and Canoptek stabby bodyguard (assuming this is one kit, maybe a new class of Cryptek)

5. Character option with gauss blaster (could be an Immortal leader or other elevated but low-tier leader)

6. Warriors

7. Scarabs (maybe these are one kit, hopefully not though)

8. Walker w. doomsday cannon, maybe twin-linked gauss flayers (looks much taller even given the perspective of the photo)

9. Walker w. no discernible weapons (could be a similar role to the Cryptek/Ghost Ark regen boost)

10. Monolith

11. C'Tan

12. Silent King

13. Grav-based Destroyer with "all the gauss" (hopefully a dual kit, I notice they've redesigned the ground-facing jet-looking things to match the Monolith here)

14. Sneaky bot behind the Monolith with orb and gun arm (personal hope this is Deathmark related instead of more Destroyer stuff, not that I'm invested either way)

15. Terrain piece with three phases: clad in rock, rock breaking off showing tech, fully tech

16. Szeras (almost forgot!)

Even if we count Warriors and Scarabs together, count the Walkers (which I think are different sizes/kits) as one kit, and discount the terrain piece it's still 13 new kits and that's just what we've seen in pictures at the moment. Kits that remain:

1. Immortals/Deathmarks

2. Lychguard/Praetorians

3. Flayed Ones (so much verbal rumour about them being included in this but so little to back it up)

4. Triarch Stalker

5. Wraiths

6. Tomb Blades

7. Spyders

8. Annihilation/Catacomb Command Barge

9. Doomsday/Ghost Ark

10. Doom/Night Scythe

11. Obelisk/Tesseract Vault/T-C'Tan

12. Imotekh

13. Zandrekh

14. Obyron

15. Orkian

16. Anrakyr

17. Trazyn

18. Plastic Overlord

19. Finecast Overlord

20. Finecast Lord

21. Finecast Cryptek

22. Plastic Cryptek

23. Deceiver

24. Nightbringer

I've excluded Destroyers and the Destroyer Lord since we've seen at least the one resculpted grav-based option. Adding those in (3x + 1x Destroyer pack, Lord and Heavy upgrades) we're at 28 total.

Hurray for lists!

I am mad they are calling us evil. We aren't evil, we are grumpy old men yelling at the lesser races telling them ""You damn kids! Get off my lawn!"

That said, the Jade Dynasty welcomes the Silent King back and he is cordially invited over to dinner at the emerald palace. Please bring a desert and an exotic whiskey for a post dinner tasting.

As someone who uses praetorians(both types) regularly(well when we were allowed to play) I am looking forward to seeing how they will interact with the King ruleswise. Also digging the new Heavy destroyer models although I have a feeling their reduced point value making them(to me) a no brainer substitute for a doomsday barge will be hiked, and their dollar value will likely be atrocious. Also worried we might lose our three Doomscythe stratagem before I even get a chance to use it in a game since I built and painted my three up over the QT.

I like lists and I was curious about everything we've seen. There are a lot of kits incoming for the line:

[...]

6. Warriors

7. Scarabs (maybe these are one kit, hopefully not though)

8. Walker w. doomsday cannon, maybe twin-linked gauss flayers (looks much taller even given the perspective of the photo)

9. Walker w. no discernible weapons (could be a similar role to the Cryptek/Ghost Ark regen boost)

[...]

14. Sneaky bot behind the Monolith with orb and gun arm (personal hope this is Deathmark related instead of more Destroyer stuff, not that I'm invested either way)

[...]

Hurray for lists!

My guess is that:

6 and 7 are in the same kit (pictures show 2 10 Necron squads and 2 Scarab bases).

8 and 9 come from the same dual kit.

14 could be a ranged/support version or character of the Skorpekh people

Love guessing!

They may even try to make some kits do the jobs of three...we just don't know what the third option might be :sweat:

The only thing I hate about this dropping of Info and stuff is …we see it now but cannot get it for months on end :unsure.:

kinda driving me bonkers really, and 9th Ed cannot come sooner either.... Bring it all on !!

Mithril

They may even try to make some kits do the jobs of three...we just don't know what the third option might be :sweat:

The only thing I hate about this dropping of Info and stuff is …we see it now but cannot get it for months on end :unsure.:

kinda driving me bonkers really, and 9th Ed cannot come sooner either.... Bring it all on !!

Mithril

This is to ensure we can all paint what we've already bought.  Because of course given more time, I will get rid of the backlog.....

Or inspire people to put money aside/prepare for emptying of wallets when they come :teehee: .

A very minor complaint/observation, does it bother anyone else that the new range aesthetic seems to be more ancient and damaged? more dents, scratches and marks. Like  I said, it is a super minor thing, but it feels weird having the new stuff next to pristine immortals, ghost arks, tomb spyders, wraiths, praetorians, etc. At a glance, no one will really notice, but inconsistency like that itches my OCD. I don't really want to take my knife to models to ding them up a bit, but I am considering it.  

Edited by Ahzek451

My guess is that:

6 and 7 are in the same kit (pictures show 2 10 Necron squads and 2 Scarab bases).

8 and 9 come from the same dual kit.

14 could be a ranged/support version or character of the Skorpekh people

Love guessing!

For Warriors, the pictures of the starter kit show 17 Warriors and 7 Scarabs (there are 5 on the edge of the SM forces pic). This has no bearing on them being released in a box together per se just a clerical note. I wonder if we'll see the sprues before release or if it will be confirmed one way or the other.

I won't be disappointed if 8/9 are the same kit, it just starts looking like a walker version of the Doomsday/Ghost Ark kit to me at that point. The interior of the chassis and top of leg mount could easily be from a dual kit but if there's any precedent to the last edition's releases all the stuff in the boxes will be push-fit with multi-part kits coming out later on. If the no-gun walker is different from the gun-toting walker it means better things from a collectors perspective; say I buy the starter kit and then the kit proper when it comes out. Now I have two of the same unit but one has no options and the other is resplendent with them. It will be interesting to see how it rolls out!

EDIT: Oh my, a Skorpekh Cryptek could be interesting too.

A very minor complaint/observation, does it bother anyone else that the new range aesthetic seems to be more ancient and damaged? more dents, scratches and marks. Like  I said, it is a super minor thing, but it feels weird having the new stuff next to pristine immortals, ghost arks, tomb spyders, wraiths, praetorians, etc. At a glance, no one will really notice, but inconsistency like that itches my OCD. I don't really want to take my knife to models to ding them up a bit, but I am considering it.  

I'm a little put off by it, but my explanation will be that the damaged Crons are the vanguard force of my Dynasty where my non-damaged Crons will be the keepers of the Crownworld. At least the Warriors look the same scale as the current ones right?

Edited by NTaW

Judging from the photo, they seem just a little shorter than Praetorians.

Speaking of sizes, have you noticed how puny that Immortal is to the C'Tan? I estimate around 5 times of his height!

Image taken from today's article on preparing for the new edition:

wX58xTL7dlX8e8KJ.jpg

I know that looks like either scratch-built terrain or a chunk of the RoB tile from FW, and that much of the background terrain looks scratch-built for the photos/displays, but I would accept any and all new terrain elements offered with a Necron vibe. 

I would also accept 'moonscape' terrain with big rock formations like we see here and in the non-pixelated version of the army picture.

I'd bet on 20 warriors in the starter box. 17 is probably just a product of the way the picture is shot

Same, I stipulate only because it was said that pictures showed 20. My shot in the dark is we'll see 10x Warriors with 4x Scarab bases if they are combined or 10x Warriors and 6-12x Scarab bases if sold separately. 

Edited by NTaW

Or inspire people to put money aside/prepare for emptying of wallets when they come :teehee: .

A very minor complaint/observation, does it bother anyone else that the new range aesthetic seems to be more ancient and damaged? more dents, scratches and marks. Like I said, it is a super minor thing, but it feels weird having the new stuff next to pristine immortals, ghost arks, tomb spyders, wraiths, praetorians, etc. At a glance, no one will really notice, but inconsistency like that itches my OCD. I don't really want to take my knife to models to ding them up a bit, but I am considering it.

Not in the least if it means I get updated kits for old models and get an expansion of the range and unit options. If you're looking for a fluff excuse for the difference:

#1. Tomb world's can have staggered or haphazard reanimations based on emergencies or what's needed first. The battle scarred elements were the first of the legion to awaken and have been fighting since day one. Nicer models have been freshly reanimated.

#2. Battle worn elements represent new/additional/bolstering forces granted by the silent king from his own dynasty holdings which never went into stasis and have been in service for 50 million? years.

Image taken from today's article on preparing for the new edition:

wX58xTL7dlX8e8KJ.jpg

I know that looks like either scratch-built terrain or a chunk of the RoB tile from FW, and that much of the background terrain looks scratch-built for the photos/displays, but I would accept any and all new terrain elements offered with a Necron vibe. 

I would also accept 'moonscape' terrain with big rock formations like we see here and in the non-pixelated version of the army picture.

I'd bet on 20 warriors in the starter box. 17 is probably just a product of the way the picture is shot

Same, I stipulate only because it was said that pictures showed 20. My shot in the dark is we'll see 10x Warriors with 4x Scarab bases if they are combined or 10x Warriors and 6-12x Scarab bases if sold separately. 

the bottom left warrior appears to have it's jaw missing. And cables dangling like blood/drool. Interesting. 

What annoy me the most seems that the warriors now come in bigger marine bases. 100 necrons warrior to rebase no thank you

Warriors have been sold on 32mm bases for a while now, at least throughout most/all of 8th edition. No need to rebase if you don't want.

I've long considered adding adapters my 100 infantry that would require them but haven't pulled the trigger yet. No one I game with is concerned with it and that's the predominant attitude judging by chatter here and elsewhere, though I'm sure there's someone somewhere who would give you grief for it.

Looking at this picture, it does imply that Warriors will be able to take mixed wargear in a unit. That being Gauss Flayers and Gauss Reapers

All of the pictures show both weapons in unit groupings of models, I think it's a strong possibility we'll see mixed wargear for Warriors and wonder what that could mean for weapon options in the new edition. I'm sure people will still favour full-on loadouts but it would be interesting if the rules made mixed loadouts an option let alone an appealing one. I know darn well my Lychguard would love a few warscythes mixed in among the shield wall :yes:

Edited by NTaW

I won't be disappointed if 8/9 are the same kit, it just starts looking like a walker version of the Doomsday/Ghost Ark kit to me at that point. The interior of the chassis and top of leg mount could easily be from a dual kit but if there's any precedent to the last edition's releases all the stuff in the boxes will be push-fit with multi-part kits coming out later on. If the no-gun walker is different from the gun-toting walker it means better things from a collectors perspective; say I buy the starter kit and then the kit proper when it comes out. Now I have two of the same unit but one has no options and the other is resplendent with them. It will be interesting to see how it rolls out!

[...]

I'm a little put off by it, but my explanation will be that the damaged Crons are the vanguard force of my Dynasty where my non-damaged Crons will be the keepers of the Crownworld. At least the Warriors look the same scale as the current ones right?

Spot on. And in regards to Nucrons looking more scarred than Olecrons I was thinking the same way (Vanguard/Main forces).

It came to me that maybe these new units are linked in some way to the SK/Triarch and so coming alongside him and spreading to the dynasties as a sign of belonging? I mean like Praetorians/Stalkers are Triarch units left behind? Or may it be that they appearing later is just the product of Tomb Worlds following a given sequence?

My guess is that they'll say something about these constructs being around before this point, but that as more Necrons awaken and engage the trespassers the Imperium learns of these constructs for the first time.  As in, just telling the story from Imperial eyes.

Rise of the Skorpekh Destroyer:

B4qg3Im6Q9xOUt0T.jpg

First up, with a name like Skorpekh Destroyer, it clearly hails from the Destroyer Cult, meaning it has… let’s just say ‘anger management issues.’* However, unlike the more familiar Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers, which favour annihilating their prey from afar, Skorpekh Destroyers like to reap them up close and personal with murderous sweeps of their enormous blades.

v7SoG3p1WS5t5Tov.jpg

In fact, they like reaping so much that their fearsome weapons are even called hyperphase reap-blades! These weapons are not to be taken lightly, either – check out their horrifically powerful profile.

aJ7M2fX7wQ6hyJ5i.jpg

No wonder we saw one cutting down a Space Marine in the trailer – one hit from this weapon could even chop a mighty warrior of the Adeptus Custodes in half! The Battle Sister being hunted by the first Skorpekh clearly passed the 6+ invulnerable for her Shield of Faith!

What’s more, as one would expect from a Destroyer, the Skorpekh is tough, yet despite not drifting into battle like its kin, it’s still wickedly fast as it skitters forwards. A unit of them promises to be a very intimidating prospect indeed…

fC0Wr32oJe2Nr1S9.jpg

Wait, what’s that? Some different weapons?! Yep! However, you’ll have to wait a bit longer to find out more about these nasty-looking options. Until then, let us know what you think of this menacing new addition to the Necron line-up on our Warhammer 40,000 Facebook group.