Assault Intercessors for the Dark Angels

Skywrath

The DW needs sinergy with RW and teleport

DW riding on slow tanks to arrive where needed they are just normal companies DA painted white

If they take out the teleport Attack of the DW they are basically killing it

DW Agressors as written in the WD article are riding into battle in repulsors so why one should spend points on DW Agressors if you have the green ones?

DW must be unique and different from the marines of the other DA companies

Edited by Master Sheol

I don't really see why Aggressors couldn't be allowed to teleport. That may even wind up being a DA-exclusive thing, since exclusive rules are not unprecedented.

Now that we've seen Primaris Bikes, I wonder if we'll be getting an upgrade kit to make Primaris Ravenwing Knights. It occurred to me it would have been smart of GW to make a RWK upgrade kit for a regular Bike Squad, rather than having a completely bespoke kit for RWKs.

I don't really see why Aggressors couldn't be allowed to teleport. That may even wind up being a DA-exclusive thing, since exclusive rules are not unprecedented.

Now that we've seen Primaris Bikes, I wonder if we'll be getting an upgrade kit to make Primaris Ravenwing Knights. It occurred to me it would have been smart of GW to make a RWK upgrade kit for a regular Bike Squad, rather than having a completely bespoke kit for RWKs.

I would LOVE a Ravenwing Primaris kit.

They did not specify aggressors, or even gravis armor in the WD article.

They only mentioned that they wore the heaviest MK X armor, being explicitly ambiguous there. Them riding in repulsors is the analog to terminators being able to ride in a land raider.

Since it looks like they won't be replacing RW with Phobos like people were claiming earlier, as there is now bikes, I don't see why we wouldn't expect some sort of MK X terminator armor at some point. It may not be soon, but it looks like eventually the primaris range will expand. In the voxcast with Jes Goodwin about shadowspear, he repeatedly mentions that there may still yet be more types of MK X armor that we haven't seen.

The volkite pistol is very clearly a volkite weapon and not a plasma weapon. It has the power cell at the bottom, the wide muzzle opening and the metallic coils that are iconic characteristics of a volkite weapon.

* New article mentions the bikes will be in Ravenwing and does say that's a volkite pistol.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

The big difference is the teleport strike ability - that’s what makes combined assault meaningful and only useable by terminator units.

If these units can somehow get the deathwing keyword, deepstrike and take Thunder hammers, I’ll be happy to revisit my position in this debate. Until then, I still see DWK as the premier dark angels melee unit

I do see what you’re saying though, and as time goes on I can see plenty of melee focussed lists making use of them. If they are just power sword/storm shield primaris vets, I can see a particular use for them as an anvil to a DWK hammer, or used a bit more surgically to take in targets where the DWK would be overkill

Just acknowledging your point yet again. Time always tells..

However, I'd like to point out again that combined assault is only usable to anything that has the DEATHWING keyword. Nothing about terminators specifically, unless that's been FAQ'ed. If my above statement is true, imagine dropping a melee leviathan dreadnought with combined assault, for some premium hilarity!

EDIT: Also, check my next subsequent post: Those chaps have been confirmed as replacements as company veterans. Bladeguard veteran is their name.

Edited by Skywrath

The big difference is the teleport strike ability - that’s what makes combined assault meaningful and only useable by terminator units.

If these units can somehow get the deathwing keyword, deepstrike and take Thunder hammers, I’ll be happy to revisit my position in this debate. Until then, I still see DWK as the premier dark angels melee unit

I do see what you’re saying though, and as time goes on I can see plenty of melee focussed lists making use of them. If they are just power sword/storm shield primaris vets, I can see a particular use for them as an anvil to a DWK hammer, or used a bit more surgically to take in targets where the DWK would be overkill

Just acknowledging your point yet again. Time always tells..

However, I'd like to point out again that combined assault is only usable to anything that has the DEATHWING keyword. Nothing about terminators specifically, unless that's been FAQ'ed. If my above statement is true, imagine dropping a melee leviathan dreadnought with combined assault, for some premium hilarity!

EDIT: Also, check my next subsequent post: Those chaps have been confirmed as replacements as company veterans. Bladeguard veteran is their name.

Yes, there's nothing about terminators specifically, but it applies to DEATHWING units that enter play via teleport strike. Currently terminators, terminator characters etc are the only deathwing units that can teleport strike. Hence why a leviathan can't use it, and why (in my opinion) it's unlikely these guys will get to use it, even if they do become deathwing

What do you guys thing about the Judiciar? I could imagine him fitting very well in the ranks of the unforgiven, maybe as a branch of interrogator chaplain. 

I think a bigger issue for assault intercessors is where will assault marines fit post their arrival. Assaults will still have flamers and jump pack but unless they bring back free rhino the assault intercessors probably mop the floor with them in a defensive scenario. That's honestly a theme I see a lot with primaris marines, good if* defending (some exceptions, and can still be used offensively). I could see assault intercessors being an excellent anti deepstrike unit/outflank unit as they are bringing back outflank.

As for assault primaris veterans vs deathwing well the deathwing always had that issue, :cuss in 6th edition you could get 10 veterans with axes, storm shields and a drop pod for the price of 5 terminators. And I suspect we will encounter a similar problem here. Honestly they might even be a really bad unit. I think they might provide a good character screen or an anti melee deterrent for riding in a repulsor but that's about the extent of practical applications. They will probably cost as much as vanguard veterans roughly and that means they are kinda useless. Vanguard veterans are outlandishly good because of their jump packs and weapon variants and interactions with shrike. These guys have anti synergy with marneus as his honor guard are a cheaper token storm shield and probably just as good at melee.

Really I see no world where you want them, relax our deathwing knights are safe I think. Minimum they aren't as effective in monster hunting and better at mulching through boys squads and their mandatory nob with pk

Thought I'd follow up and comment on the bikes, I think the bikes are fine I guess but I'm not sure they will be taken that much of the time. See the biggest problem is the slot they occupy vs cost. The Scout bikers are a fast and compete directly with the raven bikes and while they aren't taken that much they can actually output some stupid high volumes of fire. And their cheap enough to have value in small point games where the capacity to take more of them may outweigh fewer normal raven bikers, ravenwing bikers have their synergy with ravenwing keyword as well as probably being cheaper base along with their capacity to take special weapons in their roster. I think these will be the primary contender with the primaris outrider.

Outriders are not better then black knights, black knights occupy they spot in the army that they simply have no capacity to replace. Black knights hit harder thanks to Corvus hammers, they roll faster cause of ravenwing keyword synergy, and the plasma talon is the pinnacle of consistency. It's a weapon that can output some of the wildestly static numbers In the army and that can really go a long way. Nevermind the formation in vigilus that requires the use of them which may have applications going forward with the cp adjustments.

On top of that ravenwing black knight kits build into the 3 characters and the apothecary a might as well be glued to your army list because of how useful they are. And the ancient and champion have uses too that can't be discounted.

I think the biggest thing we will need to sit and wait on is the hellburners as I'm calling the melta primaris. They could be good, especially if we finally see a primaris drop pod or even just in an impulsor running across the table to drown an enemy high value target in melta blasts.

The executioner also could be really good, at present the dark angels have no good character duelists really, the ravenwing champion and Ezekiel are the closest things and they aren't even really that good (both really are only good at killing secondary hq's and characters like mekboys, other company champions, aspiring champions etc ). If he is good enough, we may see an interrogator executioner and that could be really really nasty, like better then chaplain immodiu... I mean asmodai. And that says much.