BA and 9th Ed

No more rerolling damage via strat does give vehicles and basically anything with multiple wounds a bit more staying power. On the other side it makes weapons with a low rate of fire but D6 damage even worse, so we will see them even less. Bummer, I like my lascannons.

For a 12" charge (with the +1, so need to roll 11 or 12), it's an 8% chance with no re-roll, 19% chance with a single die re-roll, and 16% with both die re-roll, so you're basically doubling your chances of making a hail mary 12" charge.

I'm not saying that single die cmd re-roll wasn't better, it definitely was statistically - but not *dramatically* so.

Feel free to play around with with the probability graph at different re-roll cutoffs - in this one, the {2..10} in the bottom 2 lines means re-roll any result of 2 through to 10, i.e. you're fishing for 11 or 12.

Edited by Arkhanist

Unless I am missing something again it is not clear (yet). We do not have the rules for the command re-roll yet. So we do not know if that rule specifies that you can (only) re-roll one die of a roll that consists of multiple dice. In fact we do not even know if we can still use CP to re-roll a die (or several)

Im afraid we do...and they do!

It's actually now VERY specific on what we can reroll, too. No more FNP, no more damage.

To re-rolll the damage roll is still possible with the stratagem.

Unless I am missing something again it is not clear (yet). We do not have the rules for the command re-roll yet. So we do not know if that rule specifies that you can (only) re-roll one die of a roll that consists of multiple dice. In fact we do not even know if we can still use CP to re-roll a die (or several)

Im afraid we do...and they do!

It's actually now VERY specific on what we can reroll, too. No more FNP, no more damage.

To re-rolll the damage roll is still possible with the stratagem.

quite correct!  my bad. 

Hit, Wound, Damage, Save, Advance,Charge, PsychicTest, Deny or dice for number of attacks. 

Our faction preview up today.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/09/faction-focus-blood-angels/

Nothing earth shattering. 

Interestingly, no commentary from an established player like all the other previews. Is that good or bad? 

...could we only Heroically Intervene with a single character in 8th? 9th allows you to do as many as you have in HI range (3"). Between all these drip-fed changes and the lack of a game for all this lockdown time, I am getting stuff mixed up. 

Assault Intercessors:

One of the "featured" units for us, naturally. Again, nothing that i don't think we already knew. They are our "best" Troops in Turn 3+. 5A at AP-2 and +1 To Wound and charge rolls each....but the question is getting them to that point. Can they survive long enough to get to Turn 3? If we outflank them, does that mean the enemy has less to worry about on the board at a time? 

I still think Incursors are the "best" overall for us due to the number of phases of the game they do well in, most especially the Deployment phase, but AI undoubtedly will make an impact. 

The other thing that concerns me about Reserves is that most missions seem to use continuous scoring now. Keeping ObjSec units off the table seems like tying one hand behind your back.

I agree Incursors look like they will remain strong but the wider availability of Reserves means Infiltrators might be worth a second look.

The other thing that concerns me about Reserves is that most missions seem to use continuous scoring now. Keeping ObjSec units off the table seems like tying one hand behind your back.

I agree Incursors look like they will remain strong but the wider availability of Reserves means Infiltrators might be worth a second look.

On the other hand, having them on the board right from the beginning gives the opponent also the opportunity to take them out right from the beginning, while ObSec units that come in later can take care of late game scoring. It all has pros and cons. ;)

yeah but with Terrain and their new rules, some clever deployment will mean you can lose a lot less than you did in 8th, nothing worse than going all-in for that alpha strike and your opponent stealing the initiative and having free reign on your units.

The game seems to be a lot more tactful now where deployment and movement will become crucial phases to ensure you do well.

So I woke up to my alarm at 10am (slept in this weekend), did my normal stuff in the morning, log onto my computer to see if it's available, and sure enough it is. I google a few different sources here in Canada, as I would rather order from a company here, and I find one that has it on their site and available. Order one, and walk away, not realizing how lucky my timing was until I started reading how few people seemed to get one. 

I feel rhino-esque rushes will be a thing again. So whatever transport moving forward onto objectives prior to reserves and deepstrikes coming in later. I'm interested to see what 9th brings for us.

All the other armies do something we do in melee better than BA; for instance most of us have seen the insane amount of damage SW slam captains and White Scar slam captains can put out; other armies can sneak forward quickly, have access to faster bikes (with stratagems, etc).

I don't think anybody does ALL the stuff needed to get into and excel in melee as good as we do, though. We have the whole package and I think that may push us into a higher status this edition. We can redeploy better, land charges better, wound better, etc. I'm excited for BA this edition. Especially now with the smaller table sizes.

I'm still a little concerned about so many of our units being "old" marines, but can't dwell on it and will move forward. I don't think we'll see anything squatted for quite a while.

...I'm still a little concerned about so many of our units being "old" marines, but can't dwell on it and will move forward. I don't think we'll see anything squatted for quite a while.

I was about to ask that very question, as I've got a full Company of BA Marines, and was really hoping that I didn't need to start adding Primaris to the mix.

Will a force of mk3-mk8 Marines still be viable in 9th ed?

apparently you can keep a unit from being engaged by never stepping foot too close to the ledge. You keep 2.01" away and 5" vertically and the opponent can't engage. Or something like that.

And this is the problem with WAAC/tournament play. In the garage or at the game store someone who pulls this will find it hard to get a game. It’s obviously an exploit and an oversight by GW.

For those that love the cut throat scene though this is what makes the game tick for them. I know one guy like this, but he turns it off and on depending on his opponent.

I sure hope the FAQs don’t start to expand out of control again!

apparently you can keep a unit from being engaged by never stepping foot too close to the ledge. You keep 2.01" away and 5" vertically and the opponent can't engage. Or something like that.

And this is the problem with WAAC/tournament play. In the garage or at the game store someone who pulls this will find it hard to get a game. It’s obviously an exploit and an oversight by GW.

For those that love the cut throat scene though this is what makes the game tick for them. I know one guy like this, but he turns it off and on depending on his opponent.

Gotta have to disagree there. Using terrain to your advantage is not necessarily a WAAC/tournament player thing and I know absolutely nobody who would refuse to play you for taking advantage of the terrain either, and I play pretty much exclusively beer&pretzel warhammer. If there's no room to engage the enemy in melee, there's no room. Period. Make use of your shooting and space magic to take care of that one unit.

...I'm still a little concerned about so many of our units being "old" marines, but can't dwell on it and will move forward. I don't think we'll see anything squatted for quite a while.

I was about to ask that very question, as I've got a full Company of BA Marines, and was really hoping that I didn't need to start adding Primaris to the mix.

Will a force of mk3-mk8 Marines still be viable in 9th ed?

Jazz- its possible yes, but youre gimping yourself a little :(  

Primaris have more wounds, more attacks and better weapons - they lack the transport options their first born brethren have though. 

DC are still solid. 

VanVets are still solid.

Sternguard are still solid

Sang Guard are still solid. 

Scouts are still solid 

Attack Bikes are (now?) solid. 

So, if youve got those, youre good.  Tactical Marines and Dev marines however.....maybe not so much

Gotta have to disagree there. Using terrain to your advantage is not necessarily a WAAC/tournament player thing and I know absolutely nobody who would refuse to play you for taking advantage of the terrain either, and I play pretty much exclusively beer&pretzel warhammer. If there's no room to engage the enemy in melee, there's no room. Period. Make use of your shooting and space magic to take care of that one unit.

I didn’t say taking advantage of terrain was the problem.

In the explanation posted that didn’t look like taking advantage of terrain, it looked taking advantage of the rules in a gamey manner, which is what that exampl looked like to me.

Edited by brother_b