BA and 9th Ed

Interesting.  Unless I'm missing it, the rules for storm shields were not updated in the FAQ, but they are updated in the FAQ for the new box.    

So that implies that the storm shield rules leaked only applies to the primaris storm shields doesn't it?  Or did I just miss it?

That's correct. From the Edge of Silence FAQ (the mini campaign book in the Indomitus box that contains the datasheets for the new units)

When used in isolation – say, when playing through the missions in Edge of Silencethese rules work perfectly well, but when used with a Battle-forged army, it is possible to upgrade a Character with Artificer Armour, and in doing so have a model with a Save characteristic of 1+. This was not our intention, and so we are changing the rules for both these items of wargear as they appear on these datasheets.

Please also note that while some weapons and other items of wargear (e.g. storm shields) appear in other places with slightly different rules, the rules for them that appear in Edge of Silence should not apply to other units – you should continue to use the rules as printed in your current Codex for the time being.

So any other existing stormshields keep their 3++ for now. It also means that the new 'astartes chainsword' only apply to Assault Intercessors, and only the bladeguard get master-crafted powerswords with +1S.

So any other existing stormshields keep their 3++ for now. It also means that the new 'astartes chainsword' only apply to Assault Intercessors, and only the bladeguard get master-crafted powerswords with +1S.

For now that is the case but it may change on the 25th. The page with the FAQ mentions that there are also more sweeping weapon stat changes in the new rulebook itself such as specifying which weapons gain the blast ability. Possibly Astartes Chainswords will be included in that although it is by no means certain. GHW also said that POTMS would do something different in 9th and instead they have just deleted it (OK yes that is technically different but stretching it a bit :blink.: ). I don't think we can take pre-release rumours at face-value, even when they come from GW themselves.

Edited by Karhedron

It's also possible we may need to wait for a new codex for e.g. intercessor sgt chainswords getting upgraded. Even then, I'd put even money on firstborn chainswords staying as is, just as normal bolters didn't get the -1 AP bolt rifles do. Gotta flog the new shiny! We'll just have to wait and see.

Just saw the points changes for us.

All I'll say is ouch.

On the plus side, the relic contemptor got cheaper somehow?

Ordering the BA specific one a week ago totally rewarded

Now hurry up and get here you pretty chunk of resin

Why has Dante gone up 20pts ?

Pretty much everything has gone up. It's a readjustment so armies are a bit smaller again (similar to early 8th points) and so GW has room to adjust things downwards again.

My army from last Sunday went up by 180 points. My Vanguard of 10 are the same points as my Sangguard of 8, 272 each. I think my saving grace were the Terminators, which only saw a minor increase of 5 points, 10 with the teleport homer. Since I often forget to use it or someone walks inside of 9", I might as well skip it from now on...

Tactical Marines at 90-ish points are too close to Primaris when kitted out, not liking that at all. Combined with the increase on Razorbacks I'd have to think twice about using the ol' faithful Tacs in RBs for a while...Incursors sure look interesting. I don't like this pricing model. Tacs weren't great at 12 points, they were decent enough.

Baal Predators were already too expensive in 8th, and are now ~15 points more than before. With the new rules for firing in engagement range, they might have been more balanced at their 8th point costs. HB being 30 now really hurts them...

Quad-Las Predators, weirdly enough, went down a few points!

Also, my beloved Sanguinary Priest went up back to 90 points. :(

I do hope they backpaddle a bit regarding the point costs, but that will take another bloody year when Chapter Approved '21 drops.

PS: Offering Indomitus as made to order was a good move from GW. You pause, and you can almost hear the sounds of hundreds of scalpers angrily beating their fists on greasy keyboards as their plans for a little extra cash on the side have been foiled. It was a good day after all. B)

My 1499p BA list I played last went up by 169p. Easily fixed by kicking out the one Suppressor squad and the one Eliminator squad (or the Redemptor Dread but I want to keep that one lol). Also had the neat sideeffect of increasing my CP by 3+n. Which makes upgrading my 3 Intercessor units to Veterans less painful. :D 

I don't know which intern they've let loose on the spreadsheets, but overall most changes don't appear sensible.

The changes were not done from a perspective of balance like previous CAs.  They were done as an overall increase of *all* units in the game. 

Sadly, there's very  little reason for it.  

I have just seen the Plasma Inceptors have gotten Blast and also dropped to 45ppm. That means they are cheaper and will always get 6 shots against units of 6+! Combined with the extra wound they received last year and I am really glad I chose to magnetise my 2 squads.

The burn is incoming! :D

med_gallery_82363_13858_616023.jpg

I don't know which intern they've let loose on the spreadsheets, but overall most changes don't appear sensible.

The changes were not done from a perspective of balance like previous CAs.  They were done as an overall increase of *all* units in the game. 

Sadly, there's very  little reason for it.  

I concur, there was little balance to it. Have you sifted through the points changes? A lot of streamlining, mostly for the worse regarding balance. When grenade and plasma launchers cost the same on IG, something is terribly off. Hand flamers and Inferno pistols are now both 5 points. Good for the IP, but bad for my DC with HF.

This reminds me of what was it - 5th edition or 6th? They attempted a similar kind of streamlining, rounding up point values of less than 5 to 5 for better list building. When a storm bolter and power sword cost you 15 points...insane.

It just makes me a bit angry - yes, that is the correct word I believe - since the point costs don't seem to make sense now, but GW expects us to buy the bloody chapter approve bundle with those points that don't seem thought through. Only to buy another one next year with their second attempt at getting it right. :dry.:

To quote the manliest man alive:

Never half-:censored:  two things. Whole-:censored:  one thing.

I don't recall Captain Tycho saying that tbh.

I'd say fair enough, but Captain Tycho no longer dwells among the living. (especially with the new points :ohmy.: )

He's alive to me :cry:

With TYCHODREAD! he can be both!

Edit. I feel that Tycho would be put into a Leviathan, but it's not so practical for gaming. Furioso melta/flamer/fists?

Edited by Xenith

If it weren’t for those flight stands...

That’s my real fear for 9th - we’ll get primaris sanguinary guard and they’ll come on those damn things.

I just ordered straight clear rods and drilled them in between the body and backpack. Much better!

With TYCHODREAD! he can be both!

Now I have Al Bundy singing TYCHODREAD in my head.

From the last time this happened, I cant say TYCHODREAD any other way now.

I would pay good money to watch a show with TYCHODREAD as protagonist and that theme song.

Hey

I´ve been putting some thought into what I think I need to change with the introduction of 9th. In 8th I played a melee heavy list consisting of one big unit of SG, one big unit of VV and one big unit of DC. I relied on the big combos like DC first turn charge killing/tagging as many units as possible and tried to wrap. And used the expensive stratagems to maximize damage and ensure getting into combat. I wanted to kill the big things I charged.

In 9th the following changes have made me consider changing things up:

- Strategic reserves

- Change to charge, as it´s much harder to charging a lot of units

- Change to fight phase, where we get to fight first in the opponents fight phase

- Terrain rules, making infantry more survivable

- Change to who goes first

- Change to overwatch

- Stratagem that requires you to wrap several units

- Coherency rules

- Changes to the Look out Sir rule

- Smaller battlefield

- And to some extent blast weapons

So due to the above changes, I think that relying too heavily on large units with several characters buffing wont cut it. The risk of loosing one of the few big units together with buffing characters is too high. So what I am considering is the following:

- Instead of a few big units, I will field several smaller units. They might not always kill what they charge, but they will at least seriously wound what they charge. 

- I assess the changes to charging, warping, coherency and overwatch will have less of an effect when fielding  several smaller units. In part due to once/turn use strategems and the ability for the opponent to reserve a nasty unit.

- Reduce the number of buffing characters since buffing many small units will be hard and the characters I field should be able to pose a threat on their own, such as Mephiston or a Smashcaptain.

- Include a a DC dread in a drop pod, the shoot in combat with flamers will increase its ability to handle hordes and the drop pod will be nice to cap objectives and protect the characters.

Currently I have a list i think fits the above reasoning. I have around 200pts to spare and are considering the following options:

- A Stormtallon/Xiphon in strategic reserve

- A unit of Suppressors and the SG Ancient

- Another CC units (already have 4 units and a DC Dread)

- Another HQ

Please tell me your thoughts of the above and what you would add for 200pts. Also do you think ive missed something of importance?

Regards