BA and 9th Ed

Assault squads can take flamers. It's on the datasheet. It doesn't say anything about metlaguns though. I'm hoping it will either be covered in the supplement or it's just an oversight. Other datasheets have options for taking wargear if it is from Space Wolves/Dark Angels. 

:facepalm: I wanted to write plasmaguns instead of flamers. Let's hope they give us both in the supplement, but I am afraid they won't because the weapons aren't on the sprue.

Edited by Quixus

How so?

i did give you the name of the YT channel and about when the video was released, could always just go watch it.

He could.  But you could also positively contribute to the development of the community *here*( by explaining what your key point is, so that people that don't have the time or inclination to watch a video can further engage with the concept in this forum.  

All about building and fostering a good, collegial and supportive environment *here*.

So I don't see a good reason for fielding Vet intercessors. Does anyone see something that I don't?

Can't recall their points value but if you want intercessors with more attacks and higher LD, veteran intercessors backed up by a priest / Apocethary with "rites of war" WT to give them obsec.

For example if you're running something smaller than a battalion, they're perfect for that role.

So I don't see a good reason for fielding Vet intercessors. Does anyone see something that I don't?

Can't recall their points value but if you want intercessors with more attacks and higher LD, veteran intercessors backed up by a priest / Apocethary with "rites of war" WT to give them obsec.

For example if you're running something smaller than a battalion, they're perfect for that role.

+2Pts per model for +1A +1LD over intercessors

I still think I'd rather take bladeguard; sure your ppm are going up considerably but the survive-ability is noticeably better with a smaller foot print, making clever charges easier and can fit a full squad into a repulsor-exe.

In favor of the Vet-Ints they do epitomize the Blood angel ability to be effective in both shooting and assault phases with minor resources committed.

Has someone read the datasheet for heavy intercessors?

In the app it sais the executor bolt rifle is heavy 2 but in the book it sais heavy 1.

And there is now way to equip a squad with executor heavy bolter because the heavy intercessors can't be equiped with a heavy stalker rifle.

Am I correct in rhis or am i missing a FAQ or something?

How so?

i did give you the name of the YT channel and about when the video was released, could always just go watch it.

He could.  But you could also positively contribute to the development of the community *here*( by explaining what your key point is, so that people that don't have the time or inclination to watch a video can further engage with the concept in this forum.  

All about building and fostering a good, collegial and supportive environment *here*.

i provided all the info necessary for him, sounds like a pretty positive contribution. if he can't take 9 minutes to watch a YT video with channel name and general date of release, he obviously doesn't care enough about it.

The very next poster after Jolemai answered the question he asked, and did so in a way that contributes to development of the forum by allowing other frater to immediately and directly engage with the discussion and the content in this forum- without having to go off and search for the info. It was helpful and supportive. 

Your comment was not. 

Your response to the mod of this forum was tantamount to saying "go find the info yourself".  I was giving you the benefit of the doubt given that sentiment and tone doesnt translate well over text without emoji, but your second response just affirmed the original assumption.

When I politely nudge you into the direction of how we expect future engagement and contribution in the BA forum, please don't be under the mistaken impression that that direction is up for debate. 

If guidance on how we expect fellow frater in this forum to engage and develop the community within this forum is offered. ... Kindly take it.  

I've worked for over 15 years as a mod of this forum to develop a very different supportive and collegial environment.  If you feel you are unable to rise to that standard, you're welcome to take what you feel are your positive contributions to other places.  

The extra points for Vet Intercessors seem decent value. The deal-breaker for me is the loss of ObjSec in the move to Elites.

Yeah, it feels like an oversight with Obj sec and less access to gear.

If they had more "special" weapon options would be nice.

Not certain there is much thought put into the unit as of now in general.

It allows one to fill out sections of the 1st and (2nd? don't know codex very well) companies. However, it doesn't work with a command squad, as you would expect for company veterans that a 1st Legion chapter would need.

In fact, find that odd in general, that interesting command squads have been reintroduced, but no mechanic for the new Primaris exists as of yet.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I think a good reason for the addition of the Veteran Intercessor datasheet was to remove the stratagem that upgraded an Intercessor squad to veterans. 

I absolutely agree that it was a good reason, just observing that the unit itself is not well thought out in how it works, both trying to service as a generic squad for a 1st Company for standard Codex marines, whilst trying to be Wolf Guard for SW and 'something? Company vets?' for DA. I think it tries to do too much typically without the appropriate benefits for giving up things like obsec.

Obsec itself has had a shake up though. Necrons have, for example, a warlord trait which gives everything obsec (maybe tied to dynasty or cryptek or something) and a stratagem which gives obsec to any units in their own deployment zone.

With the ability to take 3 warlord traits for Marines, it's easy enough to use a character with rites of war and grant obsec to anything nearby. buffable to 9" with vox espiritum

Edited by Shaezus

Yeah, it feels weird that when a troop unit become veterans they are suddenly less effective at holding objectives. That's just backwards - if anything they should become more effective at it. I can understand it for most other elite units, but to me Vet Intercessors should've kept Obsec as a special rule. Then balance the points cost to where you really have to think if the extra attack and point of leadership is worth making the unit more expensive. If you have room in your list and feel it's worth it, go with veterans. If you're trying to squeeze points in elsewhere you take the normal version.

Without Obsec I feel there are probably better units for performing different roles. We have plenty of melee units with better mobility and/or weapon choice compared to the extra base attack here.

There could be an interesting comparison between Assault Intercessors, Vet Intercessors with assault loadout and DC Intercessors with assault loadout. All would be foot slogging with the basic version giving ObSec and lowest cost, Vets getting the extra attack/LD and ability to throw a hammer on the sergeant and the DC variant having the highest output of chainsword attacks on the charge.

With any of them you have to question if they're worth it for a melee focus though, given the lack of mobility, compared to other units with jump packs. Vets or DC might do nicely the turn you charge them but what do they do after that if other enemy units are out of range? At least with the normal troop version they can sit on an objective with Obsec for lower cost if there's nothing else nearby to charge, or go and perform an action without paying a premium when doing so.

Quite. We're going to find Obelisks with ObSec sat on objectives a tough nut to crack.

Along with full squads of obsec immortals being phased into our deployment zone. They're not easy opponents but at least the new reanimation protocols can be worked in our favour

For the dreadnought fans out there, I just want to share a little lesson I learned from last weekends game. In case, like me, you hadn't noticed it. It was pointed out to me by my opponent when I tried to play it the 8th Ed way

"wisdom of the ancients" is now played in the command phase only. The effect you choose lasts until the next command phase. a huge improvement for a 1CP strat you'll probably want to use anyway

Edited by Shaezus

Makes sense for elites not to have obsec by default. They are elites, meant to be doing elitey things.

Holding objectives is grunt work

depends on the objective.

it was a pretty elite unit that held the consulate in benghazi.

elite units were tasked with holding objectives like bridges, and crossroads during the D Day invasion.

sitting on an objective for prolonged periods of time is grunt work, but holding objectives in a battle if they are important enough, is most definitely the work best suited for elite units.