9th edition implications for the GK

Skywrath

And it looks like the Doomglaive Dreadnought is going to Legends, and the Twin Psycannon is still 50 points, so it looks like there is little attention going to updating/improving FW GK models (GW waiting for it to go to OoP then into Legends).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 

Ahem.. just mean I finished painting that unit. Where are you pulling this info from?

Bloody hell warp....27 points for a single Interceptor model with dual Falchions and SB now?!

A single Falchion (2 points) is completely worse cunch-wise than a Halberd (0 points) but it's over 200% more expensive?

Im holding out in the hope that the 2ppm is for a dual pair and is a typo.

Currenlty is makes no sense for an Str user AP-3 weapon to be 0 while the AP-2 single is 2ppm.  4ppm for the +1 atk is bananas.

My list went up for about 200 points, which was exactly as I expected. Now I need conformation that draigo is a supreme commander. But... I think, taking a patrol detachment is worth it. Draigo's trait is worst trait, unless you face daemons.

I mean having Draigo at 190 points, is almost confirmation that he's going to be supreme command no? Also with the recent stormshield changes, I wonder if that's because his shield got buffed, although admittedly unlikely.

Thanks brother. Also good to have you back. 

Thanks, yeah I was off the forums because I was recovering from the infection (that's what happens when you work at the Airport), but I made it to 9Ed!

And dont sweat about the doomglaive, it's a very cool GK unit. My GK collection is filled with Rule of Cool units, I like to think of it as a GK time capsule where once everyone has moved to GK Primaris, I'll keep these firstborn GK models as is...they'll be shinning examples of GK legendary history.

GK forgeworld options going to legends is pretty much expected. Will have to see how Draigo shapes up as he was already quite uninteresting as is.

Falchions are 2 pt each, 4 for a pair - has been confirmed by both SS82 and Goonhammer. In Goonhammer's own words, adding one extra attack onto a 17 pt 1W model for 4 pts is a huge nope.

At least we'll see halberds and swords back in some cases now.

Keeping a close eye on how terminators now work out, their points increase is lower relative to other options. With changes to terrain, lack of complete need for a second battalion and probably wanting more durable units holding objectives they may be worth a punt.

GK forgeworld options going to legends is pretty much expected. Will have to see how Draigo shapes up as he was already quite uninteresting as is.

Falchions are 2 pt each, 4 for a pair - has been confirmed by both SS82 and Goonhammer. In Goonhammer's own words, adding one extra attack onto a 17 pt 1W model for 4 pts is a huge nope.

Keeping a close eye on how terminators now work out, their points increase is lower relative to other options. With changes to terrain, lack of complete need for a second battalion and probably wanting more durable units holding objectives they may be worth a punt.

Halberds for Terminators/Paladins, Swords for strikes/purifers? No point in taking falchions right now?

Edited by Skywrath

Terminators needed a significant point reduction to be viable, and they did not get it. You are paying 5% more points by taking two strikes instead of a terminator. You get 33% more attacks, twice the firepower, twice as many smites smites and twice the troop slots filled. Terminators get better save against weapons with AP, but half the amount of wound against weapons that deal more than one damage. All in all, strikes are still much better.

I think our list does not change when it comes to its basic structure. You just take two fewer strike squads and a few less hammers and that's it. Of course, now there's no debate on our units loadouts, since anything but bolters and halberds/staves (and hammers, but we probably don't have the points) is just too expensive.

We just need to know if Draigo is a supreme commander. If he is, we have to decide if we want to spend two extra CP to get First to the fray instead of Draigo's trait. If he isn't, we will just have to pay the two extra CP, since I can't imagine playing with less than 4 HQs being competitive.

Overall, points changes have greatly benefited us. While we got a 5% increase to our characters, most armies got a 7-12% increase. While we got a 11% increase to out best unit (paladins), other armies have received a 10-20% increase to most of their good stuff, and up to 30-40% on top meta choices. Our strikes are now 17% more expensive, but intercessors are almost 18% more expensive, scouts 27%, imperial guard 25%, cultists 50% and tau troops a 29%.

By comparison, we are in much better shape than other armies are. Keep in mind our core is just as powerful as it was before, but opposing armies have become weaker. We still have two paladin units with the same buffs, we can still use psybolt ammunition twice per turn, we can still cast inner fire only once per turn. Our damage is not limited by the amount of units we play, but by the rules, to a much higher degree than other armies do, so the smaller army (and table) size greatly benefits us.

I forsee having a great time with GK in 9th (for the time being, at least).

I mean having Draigo at 190 points, is almost confirmation that he's going to be supreme command no?

I am 95% sure, that he is a supreme commander, but I reckon, my opponents will demand conformation. I will try it in friednly games though. +10 points is not a big hit for him at all. We can easily take it. 

I wasn't concerned about falchions after Shock Assault becoming a thing and even less after they've become +1 pts compared to other options. Now falchions are dead for me, I'm glad that I used mixed loadouts and have like only 5 guys with falchions and 5 interceptors. 

Halberds for Terminators/Paladins, Swords for strikes/purifers? No point in taking falchions right now?

Halberds are better in every way, because sword's bonus is negated by either by too low saves or invulns. Swords are only stricktly better agains t3 infantry with 4+ or better saves. They are also useful against tyranid units with adaptaions to ignore AP-2 or valorheart SoB. In both cases we have ways to play around it. I still have lots of swords, because I like them and melee is secondary for my strikes. I can live with that. But if you want to be efficient, go full halberds and couple of staves. Staves have become a bit worse because of new attacks allocation rule, but still useful.

I mean having Draigo at 190 points, is almost confirmation that he's going to be supreme command no?

I am 95% sure, that he is a supreme commander, but I reckon, my opponents will demand conformation. I will try it in friednly games though. +10 points is not a big hit for him at all. We can easily take it. 

I wasn't concerned about falchions after Shock Assault becoming a thing and even less after they've become +1 pts compared to other options. Now falchions are dead for me, I'm glad that I used mixed loadouts and have like only 5 guys with falchions and 5 interceptors. 

Halberds are better in every way, because sword's bonus is negated by either by too low saves or invulns. Swords are only stricktly better agains t3 infantry with 4+ or better saves. They are also useful against tyranid units with adaptaions to ignore AP-2 or valorheart SoB. In both cases we have ways to play around it. I still have lots of swords, because I like them and melee is secondary for my strikes. I can live with that. But if you want to be efficient, go full halberds and couple of staves. Staves have become a bit worse because of new attacks allocation rule, but still useful.

So full halberds is the way to go. I'll still have my justicars with thunder-hammers for the extra kick. What about interceptors? Are they worth taking now? And is it still worth having units with psycannons?

Everything that was true before 9th is true now, just to a higher degree, in some cases.

Special weapons were a bad choice, now they are really bad. Falchions were already a bad choice, now they are awful. Vehicles and Infantry units not named strike squads or paladins were bad/suboptimal and they still are. GMNDKs were almost playable but not quite, and that's not changed (it's worse probably, since we don't have the HQ slots and we have even less points available).

Everything that was good is still as good or slightly better.

Only paragons and characters win from Daemon Hammers. 3+ models doesn't have neither number of attacks nor survivability to justify taking them. I have 2 Justicars with hammers but take them only in KT games or for fun. Sometimes, they even do damage. But they are not efficient. Same for psycannons/incinerators. Probably, psilencers are too. 

I take interceptors, because I like them and because they do what I want them to do. But taking 20 paladins is plain better over any other choice right now. Take whatever you like and you want to use. Best builds =/= only viable builds.

Mine are already glued like that. Well the good news is, I have a box of strike squads unassembled, but the bad news is a box already assembled as strikes with falchions. Wonder if it's worth cutting the falchion hands off and replacing them with halberds..hmm. 

Interceptors just got reworded for clarity.

Storm shields got changed so they don't improve save characteristic, but save roll, so no 2++++ save. On top of that, the change is only for the indomitus shields from those datasheets, so Draigo still has a 3++.