9th edition implications for the GK

Skywrath

Well since they said more CP and LESS SOUP, I'm not sure that they will be giving every current tournament list more CP.

I'm referring to remaining CP after list creation.

They can't expect less soup if they make soup better.

Since they mentioned that Detachments and Source Books would cost CP, there will be a break point in the math were the CP switches from better than before to worse than before.

I like everything I've heard so far.

I am not sure I do.  What does modifiers capped at +1 or -1 mean?  Does that mean we will only ever get +1 to our psychic tests as a max no matter what relics etc we have?  Will be interesting to see the clarification of this, and hopefully it is just about 'to hit' roles or some such.

It probably refers just to hit rolls (maybe wound). It would not make sense that it applies to psychic tests, because things like empyric surge and sanctic shard would not work, and they are designed with 9th in mind. Also, the cap can't be to everything because otherwise AP would not work. 

They said in the first stream that you only need CP for units that can't normally be in reserves. 

Then everything is great. Looks like every change favors GK so far. Maybe, purifiers will see some play at last? Or 4x incinerators purgation squads? Anyway, we are getting a new codex at some point and I hope for more updates to the unit profiles. I hope, overwatch is going back to once per phase per unit and you wil have to roll for a unit to retreat. I don't think, that inability to shoot in close combat is the greatest problem for NDK, but it is, certainly, one of them. At least, it will be impossible to block it with chaff so easily. I also hope, that flamer weapons will have blast rules too. They may finally become anti-horde weapon again.

I don't feel like our transport vehicles will suddenly become worth it, but maybe, viable for semi-competitive games. And outflanking will certainly benifit close combat dreadnoughts. 

What does modifiers capped at +1 or -1 mean?

I agree with Seizeman - I doubt it will affect psychic powers. Some datasheets have in-built +2 to cast modifier, for example. Same with the leadership - some armies' feature is stacking negative modifiers on Ld.

They said in the first stream that you only need CP for units that can't normally be in reserves. 

Then everything is great. Looks like every change favors GK so far. Maybe, purifiers will see some play at last? Or 4x incinerators purgation squads? Anyway, we are getting a new codex at some point and I hope for more updates to the unit profiles. I hope, overwatch is going back to once per phase per unit and you wil have to roll for a unit to retreat. I don't think, that inability to shoot in close combat is the greatest problem for NDK, but it is, certainly, one of them. At least, it will be impossible to block it with chaff so easily. I also hope, that flamer weapons will have blast rules too. They may finally become anti-horde weapon again.

I don't feel like our transport vehicles will suddenly become worth it, but maybe, viable for semi-competitive games. And outflanking will certainly benifit close combat dreadnoughts. 

What does modifiers capped at +1 or -1 mean?

I agree with Seizeman - I doubt it will affect psychic powers. Some datasheets have in-built +2 to cast modifier, for example. Same with the leadership - some armies' feature is stacking negative modifiers on Ld.

I think taking vehicles might be in the meta because of that note. Bit presumptive, but that's my opinion. Whether this sets the stage for new vehicles to be introduced for all SM chapters, is another matter altogether. Personally, I don't think the primaris style, aesthetically speaking suits us GK well. 

On the topic of dreadnoughts, imagine if the Doomglaive Dreadnought's glaive had the ability to spill over wounds, similar to the Flail of the Unforgiven, but not to other models, but to other units. Oh lordy..

Edited by Skywrath

I think it's quite the opposite, for vehicles. Currently, you can  have your vehicles in your deployment zone with some chaff in front of them and they are impossible to kill outside of the shooting phase. With the new reserve rules, you can appear behind the enemy lines and charge them, so that strategy is not safe anymore. Overwatch will also be worse, so that's bad for vehicles. Most melee units will kill a vehicle in a single round, so the fact that they can shoot in combat is irrelevant. They'll be more difficult to tarpit with stuff like guardmen or gaunts, but will be worse against everything else, particularly if there's better cover available.

Melee vehicles will probably benefit from the new rules, but they are pretty much unplayable right now, so unless receive more meaningful changes, they will not become good just because they can shoot in combat.

Article about 9th Edition from Goonhammer. First bit is just the dudes discussing what they’re excited about, but after that is a very handy comprehensive list of everything we know, so far. Great to have it all in one place.

https://www.goonhammer.com/warhammer-40k-9th-edition-what-we-know-and-what-were-hype-for/

All space marine chapters will be able to use the new marines.

Hmm, I really want to believe he means us, the Grey Knights, however he probably means the CSM ones. 

All space marine chapters will be able to use the new marines.

Hmm, I really want to believe he means us, the Grey Knights, however he probably means the CSM ones.

It’ll be all but Grey Knights, just like all of the rest of the Primaris.

I just had a realisation, although it is a stretch. There is a possibility it might be for us, just based off that same type of helmet he's wearing as the purifiers. Could be interpreted as such, but yeah, happy coincidence?  

Well there is a fluff reason for that.  GK aren't exactly known around the Imperium.  I don't believe even the Primarchs knew about them.  Has there been any interaction with Guilliman or Cawl and the GK since his return?

Has there been any interaction with Guilliman

Voldus personaly accompanied Guilliman on his way to Terra.

Yep, Exactly.

Well there is a fluff reason for that.  GK aren't exactly known around the Imperium.  I don't believe even the Primarchs knew about them.  Has there been any interaction with Guilliman or Cawl and the GK since his return?

Voldus personaly accompanied Guilliman on his way to Terra.

I think it's fair to assume that none of the Primarchs knew of the Grey Knights Project (not even loyalists) during the Horus Heresy unpleasantness. After the heresy?:happy.: …… probably not until Titan reappeared and then only on a 'need to know' basis (Dorn.... probably... Guilliman… maybe:unsure.:). That's all assuming that Titan made it's reappearance while some of the Primarchs were still around.... not really sure of the time stamp on that.

This might (or might not) be an interesting separate topic thread.... in the mean time it's a fair assumption that I'm 'off topic':eek: :blush.:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Knowing our luck no.

I wouldn't bet after PA. Looking how other poor factions, like daemons, get almost nothing to help them, I am happy with what we've recieved.

I am happy with what we received too. However, after seeing what the Daemon faction just got boosted with in WD, I don’t feel bad for them. :)

Knowing our luck no.

I wouldn't bet after PA. Looking how other poor factions, like daemons, get almost nothing to help them, I am happy with what we've recieved.
I am happy with what we received too. However, after seeing what the Daemon faction just got boosted with in WD, I don’t feel bad for them. :)

What did they get in White Dwarf?

New information today, including a video with input from several play-testers.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/01/new-40k-the-game-you-love-but-bettergw-homepage-post-1/

Now a Command Phase, like AoS 2. “ In this phase, Battle-forged armies will acquire new Command points and spend the ones they have on certain Stratagems.”

Armies getting some CP each turn instead of all at once sounds great. Instead of burning all CP in 1 or 2 turns using everything you can, you will have to carefully choose wich ones to use according to the situation, and decide wether to use use them for damage, save them for defense, etc. Now what they said about "all armies getting lots of CP" makes even more sense, and doesn't result in direct power creeping.