the BIG 9th edition room

correct me if i am wrong. aggressors now get all their weapons at 0 points? i.e., get a hugely increased basic cost , but that seems to include gauntlets/grenade launchers? if so then they also didnt suffer that hard.

vanguards also seem buffed- +2 points is, like, super gentle. a unit of 10 wrecking face will cost +20 points whereas a unit of 10 tacticals costs +30? lol.

Yeah quite a few units that have unique weapons seem to have had the weapon cost cut to zero but a big increase to their base cost.

Hellblasters are another example I saw. 

correct me if i am wrong. aggressors now get all their weapons at 0 points? i.e., get a hugely increased basic cost , but that seems to include gauntlets/grenade launchers? if so then they also didnt suffer that hard.

Fragstorms went to +5, so flamer aggressors are now 40, bolter aggressors are 45. This is roughly an average increase, so proportionally they stay about the same, yeah.

I think I'm all set chaplain helmet wise. I tracked down a slightly battered Seraphicus in a local LGS which sells used minis. (And is already selling indomitus units split up?! I could have had a squad of Bladeguard if I wanted more duplicate sculpts!)
I also tracked down an interrogator Chaplain model, his helmet should look ok on the Judiciar.

I've been thinking about how 9th edition vehicle rules will affect me - initally got all excited about my Invictor being shootier in CC, then had the unpleasant realisation that Heavy Sidarm actually weakens it now, thanks to the interaction between the following rules

When a model equipped with both a Pistol and another type of ranged weapon (e.g. a Pistol and a Rapid Fire weapon) shoots, it can either shoot with its Pistol(s) or with its other ranged weapons. Choose which it will fire (Pistols or non-Pistols) before selecting targets (Core Rules, Weapon Types, p17)

A Vehicle or Monster model can make attacks with ranged weapons even when its unit is within Engagement Range of enemy units, but it can only make such attacks against enemy units that it is within Engagement Range of (Core Rules, Big Guns Never Tire, p16)

Heavy Sidearm: Whilst this model is within 1" of any enemy units, its heavy bolter has a Type characteristic of Pistol 3. (Space Marine Codex, Invictor Tactical Warsuit, p138)

In 8th, the Invictor would not have been able to shoot with any of its guns were it not for Heavy Sidearm, thus demonstrating the intention of the rule to increase shooting output whilst in close combat. However, in 9th, this rule now decreases the amount of firepower the unit has when within engagement distance of other units, as without it, it would be able to fire its heavy stubbers, autocannon/incendium cannon and heavy bolter, all at a -1 penalty, whereas now it can only fire its heavy stubbers and autocannon/incendium cannon at a -1 penalty, or its heavy bolter at no penalty.

Surely it would be more consistent with the intention of the Heavy Sidearm rule in 8th if, in 9th, it set the type characteristic to assault 3, similar to how Blaze of Agony behaves post the SoB FAQ? I've emailed the FAQ team to this effect - it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

Good point! That does seem bonkers. They should change the rule to remove the -1 to hit for the heavy bolter in CC (no type change) and that would be an elegant solution.

Edited by Brother Kraskor

next game just a few hours behind. I think the Bladeguard Veterans are really good to hold objectives. It sounds not really Templar like but I think thats the best option for them. They cost like a Troop choice and have better stats against Thunderfire cannons for example and if a Shield Captain comes along you are able to kill him.

We are the Black Templars. We are sons of Dorn.

We attach and cleanse the unclean by whatever means necessary but we also will do whatever it takes to serve the emperor’s will. If the emperor requires us to defend we will do it with the same ZEAL we do anything else.

To be fair, in the siege of Cadia the Templars swore to hold their position indefinitely. Eventually they realized they were being too stubborn and intentionally crashed their thunder hawks into the enemy assault, but it started with them stubbornly holding the line.

... to defend a position, you need to have taken it first. :wink:

next game just a few hours behind. I think the Bladeguard Veterans are really good to hold objectives. It sounds not really Templar like but I think thats the best option for them. They cost like a Troop choice and have better stats against Thunderfire cannons for example and if a Shield Captain comes along you are able to kill him.

Is that PL or do we know their points cost?

Edited by Brother Kraskor

Noone's saying we can't defend or aren't good at it. I've many a time argued that we're not a pure assault army.

But if you were to take a snapshot of a Templar at random point in the time, there's one action he's far more likely to be taking than the rest.

Breathing?

Noone's saying we can't defend or aren't good at it. I've many a time argued that we're not a pure assault army.

But if you were to take a snapshot of a Templar at random point in the time, there's one action he's far more likely to be taking than the rest.

Breathing?

Being disappointed in the Salamanders

next game just a few hours behind. I think the Bladeguard Veterans are really good to hold objectives. It sounds not really Templar like but I think thats the best option for them. They cost like a Troop choice and have better stats against Thunderfire cannons for example and if a Shield Captain comes along you are able to kill him.

The leaks put them at 35 points per model with wargear, so they're barely more expensive per wound than Intercessors, with a 2+/4++. They're definitely durable for their price.

... to defend a position, you need to have taken it first. :wink:

the Imperial Fists can defend it after we had conquered...

With new point costs I played Intercessors just standing behind a ruin, never take action in this battle before a shield captain slaughter them. I think its harder for the enemy to keep such a position against Bladeguard Veterans. Pointcost for them 35 per model - means exactly what we pay for a troop choice.

Edited by Medjugorje