the BIG 9th edition room

Even though I'm all about the age of darkness at the moment I'll get this box for my boys in black.

The judicar will get an old metal ECs black sword I think. Might replace the hourglass with something else as well. Lances on the Bikes of course.

All in all the dont need a lot of converting I feel.

I'm hoping they're 3-6 like Aggressors. They'd be a great way to fill an Impulsor.

I'd expect them to be, most 3 man units seem to be that way even. Only exceptions were the Eliminators and Surpressors which were locked to 3

Even though I'm all about the age of darkness at the moment I'll get this box for my boys in black.

The judicar will get an old metal ECs black sword I think. Might replace the hourglass with something else as well. Lances on the Bikes of course.

All in all the dont need a lot of converting I feel.

I'm actually warming up to the Judicar. He isn't the emperor's champion, so I'm actually glad he's got a different sword, I want him to be clearly different from the EC i got converted for me. That the sword is an executioner style too seems to fit his theme and what little lore we've heard about him. Only thing I feel a bit iffy about is the face mask, would probably have prefered a hood.

Fair enough. Since I dont have a primaris EC, I will make him my primaris ec. Or I take the chaplain from the box for that, he has the pose with his weapon. Then the judicar model is converted into a chaplain. Edited by Marshal Vespasian

The shield and sword guys are Gravis? I thought they were standard armor. That would mean they're T5 with shields. Very interesting.

No, the Gravis Devestators with Melta are however, but the Bladeguard are wearing Tacticus with just minor uparmored additions

Edited by Reinhard

I'm actually hoping it's standard MK-X armor and that we can buy them up from 3 to 5, then put one of those new characters with them, like the executioner. A hit squad of 5 melee troupes backed up by a support beatstick who can force others to fight last is pretty interesting. It combos well with the ability to disembark from an Impulsor and use Divine Push, while still getting to fight first.

The Bladeguard are wearing blinged up mkX Tacticus armour, it could be Artifacer mkX, same as the Victrix Guard so they might have a 2+,3++

The Melta unit is wearing a modified Gravis that lacks the helmet cover.

I'm hoping the Bladeguard can be run in units of 3-6 or even a unit of 9. I don't mind waiting for the full release, but if you could run 9 of these and a character in a transport I'll be quite happy.

To clarify, the Bladeguards are definately in Tacticus Armor. The minor additions of extra armor I think are too small to justify calling it a new pattern. The helmets now that we see them up close, look to be standard primaris helmets that have an extra added face grill, which gives the crusader look, they have thicker gauntles (something they share with the sword bearing arms on the assault intercessors, incidentally) and thicker shoulder pads. But no hallmarks of it being gravis, which is considerably beefier and uparmorered.

I'm actually hoping it's standard MK-X armor and that we can buy them up from 3 to 5, then put one of those new characters with them, like the executioner. A hit squad of 5 melee troupes backed up by a support beatstick who can force others to fight last is pretty interesting. It combos well with the ability to disembark from an Impulsor and use Divine Push, while still getting to fight first.

That is very nice!

Edit: Ah wait a minute, you wouldn't be able to get them both into combat right? You can't use the same stratagem twice in one phase?

Edited by Brother Kraskor

What's the consensus on the right trim colour for an assault intercessor? My view is that without a jump pack, an assault intercessor is just a basic crusader initiate, and should have black trim.

If a jump pack option became available, they would get red trim easy.

Views?

This.

They are chainsword and bp initiates.

They're close support as indicated by the assault icon the right shoulder

The way we signify close support is with red trim, white background, black cross.

(Of course, what we really want is to be able to mix these with standard intercessors in proper primaris crusade squad.... Doubt i could hold off painting mine until a possible 9th edition BT codex supplement clarifies it...)

That is very nice!

Edit: Ah wait a minute, you wouldn't be able to get them both into combat right? You can't use the same stratagem twice in one phase?

You couldn't use the strat on the character, but if his ability doesn't require him to melee you can use the shield boys to assault and screen, while he holds position to counter charge, then joins them the following turn. If Chaplains get their prayers shifted to work after disembarking, they'd also be an excellent choice for this. Losing out on 1 turn of a character meleeing in exchange for him being their to anchor is a decent enough trade.

Whether they are fast or not, they are definitely 'Close Support' in the reimagined structure and therefore should have red trims on white.

If they are the choppy equivalent to the normal intercessors, the Black Templar will field them like normal Crusader squads... So they will be not a support, they will be the main force^^

Just wanted to note the shield vets are called battleguard veterans.

If vigilus & PA was made for 9th in mind, then either we won't be getting any new stratagems regarding these new guys, or they will wildly errata in the changes and make a 6 month old supplement book useless/unhelpful.

If they give us unique mixed squads which gw won't (unless everyone gets them) then I'll just paint over the red pauldron trim on assault intercessors with black, not like I've figured out varnishing yet.

I think this may be one of those situations where the close support thing doesn't carry over.

Traditionally, assault squads had red trim and were marked apart because those squads were too dangerous to train Neophytes. Back in 3rd and 4th, jump packs were mandatory for assault squads, which is why they were too in the thick of things to risk them with Neophytes. (Although jump pack neos would have been cool!)

Bikes are also curious, they only gained red trim in 4th edition when biker crusader squads were removed.

(Edit, ignore that point a little, noone had red trim pre-4th)

To me, an intercessor with a chainsword is the same as one with a bolt rifle. An initiate.

Edited by Brother Adelard

Maybe we'll get a proper supplement this time and they'll actually clarify it. Maybe the release of assault intercessors will actually get the studio to get a black templar Primaris force. Maybe we won't and it'll be left unclear. 

If follow the evidence that we already do have, red trim is the official look. Does anyone have to care? I wont.