the BIG 9th edition room

Realistically, we will either get new models or legends. GW want to get shot of Finecast at some point and move everything to plastic. As all of our unique stuff is resin, it has to go somehow. So, either we get new stuff, or we die out entirely.

I want a good book. Not a rules book, but a lore book. Another story where we're the focus rather than the red shirts along for the ride to prop up Sisters or someone else more important. But I somehow doubt 9th is the edition where we'll get that recognition again. It's UM or bust forever.

In good news on the only topic that matters...

The core changes also invalidate our HQ datasheets.

Oo, you’re right! So no more Emperors Champion getting buffed by Helbrecht to be S8 and whatnot. Interesting....

Remember that GW do things half arsed with the Templar.

It could end up we just keep using the Faith and Fury rules with no errata/changes for some time meaning the three special characters would work well together but the Crusader Squad would not get anything of use from characters in the new codex as they will lack the word CORE.

Books and rules are fleeting and temporary. Point is we're already discussing the obsolescence of Faith and Fury. Already!

No, give me new models. Models do last "forever"(at least decades. Last BT kit is from 15 years ago. In that time any potential new model would go through multiple cycles of rules that we have zero guarantees will stay useful.) That we had the 4th edition codex for as long as we did was an anomaly.

Tldr, don't stake your hopes and dreams on impermanent rules, stake them on models, the only long term support that matters.

Edited by Reinhard

As they are currently printed, they will need erratas to function. Now that things like the Core keyword and it's interactions exist. I think this means they will need to reprint them somewhere, which may as well be a supplement.

Although, you can all kick me later when we get an Index Astartes in White Dwarf!

A WD index would make sense. CF had one, now the wrong kind of Templars, but might take a while.

I do not see them getting rid of our chars without updating, especially since the 3 are pretty much iconic, But i also do not see them on a hurry to update them.

I think that we might see BT in a box vs someone like sw and orks had beguining of the year.

I have a feeling that the Ec might move into Elites, since his HQ role is just to beat people up.

But hey its all speculation. 

edit: Wont we have the Chapter aproved thingie? Theres our update.

Edited by Sete

In good news on the only topic that matters...

The core changes also invalidate our HQ datasheets.

Oo, you’re right! So no more Emperors Champion getting buffed by Helbrecht to be S8 and whatnot. Interesting....

but other characters dont get the amount of rerolls as the emperors champion get. What makes him a bit better

PA faith and fury will stay the same except a few units get the "core keyword" and sadly a few buffs will just work on them too (hopefully aurelian shroud wont - if so Templars had no advantages to other marines in competitive gaming)... 

and a few units will get 2 wounds.

But after the first PAf&f  things are integrated into the codex I cannot expect the templars will stay like they are.

Got my first game in tonight with the Bladeguard. They are brutal! I didn't get the chance to use the full impulsor bomb with the judiciar, as I went second and had a whole Scions army drop on top of me. But I think what won me the game in the end was the fact he dropped his command squad within 6" of my Intercessors, who were in aura of a Chaplain with Canticle of hate. They devout pushed into the command squad and killed them in his turn, then killed a squad of scions in mine! It's such a useful strat!

Apparently another fellow Templar has done well in a tournament (Iron Halo Con) so there seems to be hope for us even if its just SM power carrying us but the upcoming buffs will certainly help a bunch even if our armies become slightly smaller. Here's the list I found

+++ Ben templar (Warhammer 40,000 9th Edition) [99 PL, 8CP, 1,996pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium – Adeptus Astartes – Black Templars) [99 PL, 1,996pts, 8CP] ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [12CP]

Detachment CP

Gametype: Matched

+ Stratagems [-1CP] +

Crusader Relics [-1CP]

+ HQ [17 PL, 330pts, -2CP] +

High Marshal Helbrecht [8 PL, 155pts, -1CP]: Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP]

Primaris Chaplain [5 PL, 85pts, -1CP]: 1. Litany of Divine Protection, 5. Fervent Acclamation, Ancient Breviary, Fortress of Resolve, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Master of Sanctity [-1CP]

Primaris Lieutenant (Indomitus) [4 PL, 90pts]: The Crusader’s Helm

+ Troops [15 PL, 300pts] +

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 95pts] . 4x Assault Intercessor [76pts]: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol
. Assault Intercessor Sgt [19pts]: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]: Incursor Sergeant [21pts] . 4x Incursor [84pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired Combat Blades, 4x Smoke Grenades

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor [80pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant [20pts]

+ Elites [45 PL, 938pts, -1CP] +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 225pts]: 4x Aggressor [160pts], Aggressor Sergeant [40pts] . Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher [25pts]

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]: Bladeguard Veteran Sgt [35pts] . 2x Bladeguard Veteran [70pts]: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted Power Sword, 2x Storm Shield

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]: Bladeguard Veteran Sgt [35pts] . 2x Bladeguard Veteran [70pts]: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted Power Sword, 2x Storm Shield

Cenobyte Servitors [1 PL, 18pts] . 3x Cenobyte Servitor [18pts]: 3x Close Combat Weapon

Primaris Apothecary [4 PL, 60pts, -1CP]: Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Chief Apothecary [-1CP], Warlord

Terminator Assault Squad [18 PL, 425pts]: Teleport Homer [5pts] . Terminator Sergeant [42pts] . . Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield [19pts]: Storm shield [4pts], Thunder hammer [15pts] . 9x Terminator w/THSS [378pts]: 9x Storm shield [36pts], 9x Thunder hammer [135pts]

+ Heavy Support [18 PL, 360pts] +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 120pts]: Armorium Cherub [5pts] . Space Marine Sergeant [15pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
. Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon [25pts]: Grav-cannon and grav-amp [10pts] . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon [25pts]: Grav-cannon and grav-amp [10pts] . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon [25pts]: Grav-cannon and grav-amp [10pts] . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon [25pts]: Grav-cannon and grav-amp [10pts]

Eradicator Squad [5 PL, 120pts]: Eradicator Sgt [40pts] . 2x Eradicator [80pts]: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Melta rifle

Eradicator Squad [5 PL, 120pts]: Eradicator Sgt [40pts] . 2x Eradicator [80pts]: 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Melta rifle

+ Dedicated Transport [4 PL, 68pts] +

Drop Pod [4 PL, 68pts]: Storm bolter [3pts]

Edited by redmapa

Space wolves player here! Just wondering if anyone has tried 'outflanking' a big Crusader squad? It works pretty well for Blood claws, and not for damage, really. Just plopping 16 Claws behind the opponent with no gear makes a hell of a distraction. Since they have ObSec and a large size, they can dominate what opponents though were Safe home field objectives. Y'all can even use shooting! Multi melta and 2 plasma guns can do some damage from behind.