9th addition announcement - Tyranids

Spacecow

For anyone that missed it, the big 40k reveal was today.

They dropped 9th addition. New Primaris with chainswords. New necron warriors.

During all of that my eye fell on the following:

5AJrKoq.jpg

Now this is probably a bit tongue and cheek but it did awaken a hope that a new codex for nids might drop.

I wouldn't take anything on Pete Foley's white board from this morning's previews seriously. There was clearly some good natured trolling going on. Note the Squats codex above the Tyranids. Another version of his white board (he appeared to change it between sessions) included assembling a plastic thunderhawk on his to-do list.

What is potentially troubling for us is that the little bit of new rules for 9th could have some harsh effects on nids.  So far:

• Vehicles can no longer be tagged - this really hampers our effectiveness and stalling against many armies.
  • Blast weapons (which I think is any weapon where you roll for # of shots) always hit hordes with max shots - Now... I'm not sure what qualifies as a blast.  Furthermore, GW has not defined horde, but my gut says units with more than 10.  Meaning that this really hampers the mass part of the army.

Needless to say, nids could use some help soon.  I wonder how mass warriors and carnifexes would fair?

I’m in the same (Hive) mind as you guys. I’m excited for 9th but worried we’ll get screwed over.

Hopefully the updated pts will be kind.

Also hope that some of our larger gun beasts get the same bonuses like tanks.

I’m cautiously optimistic at this point.

There’s a Q&A session on Tuesday so we’ll get more meat on the bones.

At least all our books are still compatible with 9th.

From a narrative perspective, I could nids getting really dealt a major blow - like a hive fleet or two being destroyed/scattered.  The idea being that it reflects the Silent King's alleged belief that nids are the greatest threat to the galaxy, while demonstrating the Silent King's skill he used to defeat the c'tan.  Then, I'd hope GW would take the natural path and have the nids adapt (some models and rules, etc.) to counter punch.

From a narrative perspective, I could nids getting really dealt a major blow - like a hive fleet or two being destroyed/scattered. The idea being that it reflects the Silent King's alleged belief that nids are the greatest threat to the galaxy, while demonstrating the Silent King's skill he used to defeat the c'tan. Then, I'd hope GW would take the natural path and have the nids adapt (some models and rules, etc.) to counter punch.

Considering narrative I don’t mind us getting a couple of punches in the face to be honest. We’ll come back with a hunger. From the viewpoint of being considered the largest threat in the galaxy by some factions, we really should be able to show that of on the table. If anything it will help diversify the games for everyone.

Now they did state they polished and balanced 9th edition. So our worries might be for nothing. :)

I’m with you on the narrative part.

From a hobbyist perspective, I’d love to see some new sculpts.  The bonereapers had a Geiger-Alien feel to them.  Also, the gargantuas from AoS are huge.  A plastic lord of war would be sweet.

Too right! I’d be happy with a new Genestealer box (mould lines on the current kit are annoying) and I think everyone can get behind a Tyranid LoW!

As one of, if not the only faction without one I’m sure it would make a lot of business sense to produce one.

The Forgeworld ones are great but are showing their age. In terms of scale and battlefield presence they’re not much bigger than the Tyrannofex etc.

Back onto 9th, The Q&A is tomorrow so not long till we get some details!

GW jokes, but the key thing wih marketing and business is to follow up the joking teases with your customers. 

People wanted a plastic warhound, and GW gave it to them. They'll likely already have a plastic thunderhawk for AA, and are probably making small space marine models for some Epic equivalent. 

What the cross off means, I dont know. Either it got vetoed, or it's already done. 

Well the Q&A is making me a lot more excited.

They went over terrain having more purpose. Tagging them in a certain way fe ‘obscure’ ( blocking line of sight even if there are windows) with also a footprint around it.

Spending cp to put units in reserve.

Giving monsters equal pewpew as tanks. They specifically mentioned nids here being scary to fight.

A revision of overwatch and also Introducing stratagems for punishing units retreating from yours.

Edit: we are being released from the detachment optimising CP cage. Depending the size of the army, everyone starts with the same CP. Which means we can run whatever we want.

Edited by Spacecow

I'm really excited! Can get rid of some bloat, just take one big ol battalion, and a command detachment for characters to minimize cp spending!

Also, my carnifexes and tyranofex are gonna have a great time :) mawloc and trygons too! Gosh I'm so excited

There was definitely good rhetoric.  I'm being cautiously optimistic.  I'm also looking forward to terrain.  Pete Foley said something akin to terrain being a third element players need to account for (the other two being: own army and opponent's army) while being simple.  The example he used was tagging a terrain piece as being obscuring - meaning units in it, while visible to the eye, are not visible game-wise.