So, what's the point of assault Intercessors?

Irbis

assault

Taken from the core rulebook, looks like the basic version is just Intercessors that cost 1pt less and have a -1 AP chainsword. Having said that this is most likely just the Indominus set rules for the models in the box and may mean a proper entry in the new Codex with other options. I'd be surprised if the only sergeant option was plasma pistol and not the likes thunder hammer or powerfist.

I find it unlikely that the Assault Intercessors will ever get any type of movement option simply due to the fact that they're Troops and not Fast Attack.

At least if they were Fast Attack you could draw similar conclusions to an Assault Squad; which sits in Fast Attack whether they have jump packs or not.

30k has Assault Squads as troops, I don’t really see why they couldn’t be in 40k as well.

Its just the normal sheet - if its in the codex it will have a few other options too.

And I am very sure that will contain Hammers, swords ... all things the other Intercessors have too.

(because this units can be brought by other Chapters too. Not just for Black Templars. If it would be so they would cost even more then)...

Edited by Medjugorje

As they are now, I can't see them in my Ultramarines list until a full data sheet for a Codex is out. 5 intercessors on foot with CC weapons are right now nothing I need. I'd either go Reivers for mobility's sake or firstborn elite units (vanguard), if I don't wanna do pure Primaris.

But as someone mentioned above, the CC oriented Astartes should be more than happy. I still wonder though, why they didn't theme Indomitus as Black Templars as a reminiscence of 3rd ed. Those troops all scream BT.

I still wonder though, why they didn't theme Indomitus as Black Templars as a reminiscence of 3rd ed. Those troops all scream BT.

Ultramarines are a better entry point into Space Marines than Black Templars. Less confusion about units and models (Crusader Squads, the tabard upgrade sprue only for Firstborn, finecast characters), can accommodate most play styles to a reasonable degree, and the paint scheme is less finicky to produce a range of acceptable results.

The point of assault intercessors? To be put on ebay to fund more outriders.....

Seriously though, if you wanted to run mechanised marine combat stuff, I can see a place for them in an impulsor list. For non transport led armies, In the primaris line - intercessors are a better overall line troop, infiltrators are going to be money on smaller tables with reserve shenanigans available to everyone and incursors generate marginally less hits than the assault intercessors, at a worse ap but have better guns and a built in delivery system. I just dont see assault intercessors working outside specific list archetypes

Because you get more rounds out of assault docterine then you do heavy or tactical. Because you can prevent enemy units from shooting in their turn, because you can attack on your turn and the opponents....

If you build you list to want to be in close combat, then equipped for close combat will be better for you.

Edit: autocorrect.

Edited by War Angel

Answer: The point of Assault Intercessors is to provide me with a set of running legs for my First Company Veterans, armed with Auto-Bolt rifles, and Vet Serg with Thunderhammer.
Alt-Answer: Armed with bling chainswords from the VV set, they could also pass as Vets, presuming they get the ability to use the pre-game strat.

Performing Actions; a unit can’t shoot, but can fight normally if they get charged. Maybe with an impulsor to get them to where the Action has to happen (I don’t know enough about that to say).

Answer: The point of Assault Intercessors is to provide me with a set of running legs for my First Company Veterans, armed with Auto-Bolt rifles, and Vet Serg with Thunderhammer.

Alt-Answer: Armed with bling chainswords from the VV set, they could also pass as Vets, presuming they get the ability to use the pre-game strat.

my take aswell

These and first co auto bolt intercessors would complement each other nicely. Assault intercessors will get more melee options hopefully. Right now though, they are a good bully unit as they are. Reivers are elites, so how are these looking points wise as troops? 

5x5. Repulsor. 5 bolt rifle/assault bolt rifle intercessors. T. Hammer. 5x Assault intercessirs

Literally no idea what you are trying to say there. Try it with more words.

5x5. Repulsor. 5 bolt rifle/assault bolt rifle intercessors. T. Hammer. 5x Assault intercessirs

Got me scratching my head as well!

Take one 5 man Intercessor squad withSergeant with thunder hammer, one 5 man Assault Intercessor squad. Put them in a Repulsor. Use the two squads in conjunction; the assault bolters and chainswords take up each other’s slack (for attacks per phase) while distributing the Combat Doctrine bonus more evenly between Tactical and Assault.

Take one 5 man Intercessor squad withSergeant with thunder hammer, one 5 man Assault Intercessor squad. Put them in a Repulsor. Use the two squads in conjunction; the assault bolters and chainswords take up each other’s slack (for attacks per phase) while distributing the Combat Doctrine bonus more evenly between Tactical and Assault.

See, now that's a proper way to post something like that. A thousand times more understandable.

See, now that's a proper way to post something like that. A thousand times more understandable.

On phone at work. Time concerns. Had the idea, though

What's the point of assault intercessors?

Melee troops (our first real CC-focused one at that, barring ccw-scouts) with a boatload of S4 AP1 attacks.
Some of us don't play in a WAAC-meta where everything has to be borderline op in order to be valid, and I recon Assault Intercessors will perform just fine.
I know I'll be fielding a squad fairly often and I don't even play a melee-focused chapter.