Adapt or Die

sturguard

Hey folks,

first, I have an exclusive Horus Heresy army, my 1k Sons.

This is where it all went wrong for you ;)

My constructive addition to this convo is as follows: play them as firstborn for now. See what 9th ed brings. I can see TWC benefiting from a rules changes potentially. And our TDAWG are good now if you like combi plasma. Grey Hunters haven't been our heavy lifters in awhile, but they are still objective sitters. Blood Claws can flank well. All of our firstborn HQ's are good. GW may be super sizing everything, but we are playable. Land Raiders may see play now that 9th edition allows a vehicle to shoot even if its in combat. Rhinos won't be as good as impulsors ever.

Just count yourself lucky that you are not Codex Marines. They have to buy the abomination that is Centurions in order to be competitive. Yuck.

Dan,

Indeed. I actually have plenty of Wolfguard terminators with combiplasma and storm shields, I think I used them in 6th or 7th. And you are right, at this moment, there's nothing wrong with what I have. I just like to try and stay ahead of the curve- yet I think the next round of primaris is going to change things. I think I could make the assault intercessors pretty easy so thats good, I also think I can make intercessors, and eliminators. I actually have gotten alot of inspiration here. I have 20 mkIII's sitting on my shelf and I couldnt figure out what to do with them, well, now they have a purpose. I can do a squad or 2 of intercessors, a squad of eliminators, a squad of the assault intercessors and maybe the never devastator looking guys. That should keep me busy modelling for awhile for sure.

You could also just leave your Wolves army to play historical, post-Heresy games. I've got an entire Dark Angels army I'm working on still just for that (because their story is that they were virtually wiped out at the Fall of Cadia trying to recover honor in the eyes of other Unforgiven who they had been called to account by).

I'd also see if you could get more folks by the house - that can be hard, but if you can get three or four folks that are likeminded playing regularly once a month or so, it could probably improve your hobby outlook a lot.

Metalmammoth, 

I'd never sell them. They represent almost 30 years of my hobby work. At this point I can still manage to assemble minis but my painting skills have deteriorated, it wouldnt be the same. 

I dont have any problem playing an out of date game- look, Ill be the first one to say I am not a fan of the new rules. I'd play 3rd-7th over 8th, however, if you want to play games you need an opponent, and if they dont want to play an earlier version, thats their choice. Again, Im 50, most of the guys I play are 25-40, no one is looking for a new friend here, just a game. Unless you are in a gaming group with a bunch of buddies, when you put your minis down, generally its at the whim of what the local guys at the store are playing. And generally that local hobby store has to make money and encouraging people to play an earlier version where they dont need to buy anything, doesnt help them out (which I understand). 

I think I can get by with some proxies and backwards converting for the near future. Against most store players, I think I could pass off my bikes as the new bikes (I mean there arent various levels of bikes to deal with here, thats easy), I can make up a few intercessors and eliminators using firstborn marines (and they would have the proper wargear on the models) and I might even be able to proxy more depending on the opponent. Years down the road when rhinos are extinct on the board, I would imagine most guys would be ok with rhinos representing impulsors, again if there is no A and B on the board, its easy to distinguish. Heck I remember when people used to use soda cans, cd holders and such as drop pods, before there was a model. Everyone was cool with that. I remember at one tourney a guy had converted Eldar Heavy Support batteries into his jetbikes. This was an official GW tournament and he played. Now you talk about a situation where the models didnt look anything like a jetbike and heavy support batteries were also a unit in the game, but it wasnt a big deal.

Maybe folks have gotten a bit more uptight in their approaches now a bit more snobby at tournaments, I don't know, havent been to one in probably 10 years. I actually have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that some people think I cant put bolt rifles on a trueborn marine and call them an intercessor? So its an all GW model. It has the appropriate GW wargear (bolt rifle) displayed clearly on the model. The models are all in MKIII armor which is clearly different from the Grey Hunters which are in MKIV armor.  So just because they are 2 mm shorter it causes a problem? For years folks have been making true scale marines, were they kept out of tournaments because their models were 2-3 mm taller than regular scale models? Again, it doesnt really matter as I wont be attending tournaments, but it seems peoples attitudes have changed alot.

Edited by sturguard