Valerian's Plans for 9th Edition

Valerian

With all of the huge changes going on for Space Marines right now (stats, equipment, abilities), I’m putting all purchases on hold. It just doesn’t make sense to make any plans or commitments right now, with everything in flux. Looks like we’ll need to wait for the new Marine codex and new Wolves supplement, and see how the dust settles on everything.

Can play around now with what I’ve got, but won’t keep building up this new army until I’ve got the whole picture.

For the new starters or those looking for cheap pack expansions, Val, I think it safe to still recommend the two SW Start Collecting! Boxes.

Start Collecting! Space Wolves

Start Collecting! Primaris Space Wolves

If interested, a

Start Collecting! Space Marines

Start Collecting! Primaris Space Marines

These base four will give plenty of cheap, solid Troops choices to go with for now. While the army is mostly up in the air, if Primaris are 2 or 3 Wounds, and adjusted fairly at 3, there's every reason to believe that GH's, BC's, and PA WG are going to be amazing models soon enough. And, the added models and bodies past the basics of each will only aid in rapid army expansion.

Space Wolves Dreadnought

And one of

- Space Marine Dreadnought

- Space Marine Venerable Dreadnought

Dread's look to be coming back. I may be jumping the gun somewhat, however this seems to be only a matter of time now.

With all of the huge changes going on for Space Marines right now (stats, equipment, abilities), I’m putting all purchases on hold. It just doesn’t make sense to make any plans or commitments right now, with everything in flux. Looks like we’ll need to wait for the new Marine codex and new Wolves supplement, and see how the dust settles on everything.

Can play around now with what I’ve got, but won’t keep building up this new army until I’ve got the whole picture.

Yea it really feels like its time for a bit of hurry up and wait.  My motivation has taken a big hit from the whirlwind of news , I  guess we will see soon eonugh what direction we should be going in ,everything feels really in flux right now.

So with the Blade Guard Ancient not being that much of a force multiplier, is it worth taking this guy and turning him into a Rune Priest instead, would it be more beneficial in game terms?

Banner snapped off, so thought pole might make a decent staff for a Rune Priest.

8bEZ34p.jpg

Yes, Dantay, that’s not a bad idea at all, especially for folks that don’t already have a Primaris Rune Priest. He can trade his default Axe for a Staff on the datasheet, so you’d be good to go for WYSIWYG.

Yes, Dantay, that’s not a bad idea at all, especially for folks that don’t already have a Primaris Rune Priest. He can trade his default Axe for a Staff on the datasheet, so you’d be good to go for WYSIWYG.

My set up is not that far from what you originally set out with Valerian through collecting indomitus, shadowspear and prophecy of the wolf.

Thinking the Rune priest would give me one of each in different armour, if the Ancient does not work out so well.

Jarl

Thegn

Wolf priest

Judicar

1 squad of assault intercessors

1 bike squad

1 squad of Blade guards

1 squad of Eradicators

Jarl in Phobos

Thegn in phobos with grav chute

Rune priest in phobos

1 squad of infiltrators

1 squad of suppressors

1 squad of eliminators

Ragnar Blackmane

1 squad of Incursors

Haldor Icepelt

• 1 year later...

After a very long delay, some reinforcements to the Blackmanes are inbound.

They are lookin’ awesome, Valerian - great stuff!  I like the colors you’ve achieved, which aren’t quite the same tone as the GW studio uses.

The Redemptor dread is looking very Wolfy dapper in his get up - the bits/sculpting is really awesome on that and the gold is fantastic!

Thanks, fellas.  I'm using the same artist as last time, Vasily Shipolov, who did such a fantastic job with the last batch of my New* Primaris-only Space Wolves army.  The bits seen on the Redemptor and elsewhere came from Vasily's side hustle:  Liber Daemonica.  Check out his online shop at the link.

* I decided to completely replace my old Firstborn army with the new, better-scale, Primaris models a couple years back.

The Google Photos folder has been updated with the recent reinforcements for the Blackmanes. The only thing left to be done is to add Ragnar's heraldry to the banner of the Bladeguard Ancient.

See here for everything in my Space Wolves version 3.0 (all Primaris) army: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3AHuVr51TmrkEwXY6

Val

* Note that every model was painted by Vasiliy Shipilov, of Liber Daemonica.

Wow that banner is amazing! Great work. Is that an older model? What rules are using for him? Or is he going to be just a show piece for the army?

The model is regular Bladeguard with a Banner from the Forgeworld Sons of Horus Legion Command. I wanted a cool Ancient model for Ragnar (every Wolf Lord needs a proper Bannerman), but plan on using him as a regular Blade Guard.