Old or New Necron Models... What should I buy?

DeRome90

Good morning everyone,

after the Preview from the last weekend I hit a wall regarding a certain issue... should I buy the old Necron models or should I wait for the new ones? I wanted to start a Necron army for the release of Pariah.
I have still the old Start Collecting and a Necorn half of Forgebane (all unbuilt). While I really like the look of the new models, I am not so keen on paying 50 bucks or so (no clue how much they will cost) for one Destroyer or 100 for a Monolith.

So what are your thoughts? Will the prices for the Necron range explode? Should I buy the new models or should I stick with the old ones? (e.g. Destroyers and Monolith) Thank you for your feedback.

The Monolith looks like it is being redone- and it looks amazing. So personally, I would wait.  It will however probably be more expensive.

I think Destroyers have a good chance to be redone also? The Destroyer Lord at least.  Maybe wait and see.

if you were to buy anything safely... it would be necron warriors, cause they are going up...having a box with the standard gun could be ok but unless you have a real lack of funds i would wait for the new stuff, it will have more options in it for sure...

yeah probably just wait for new stuff, paint your forgbane cryptek while you wait :thumbsup:

Mithril

I'd wait, particularly if it's specifically destroyers and the monolith you're thinking of. Any updated versions will almost certainly be more expensive but it's  worth considering that the confirmed updated monolith will be easier to build than the rather troublesome current one.

There's always the option of ebay and the like. Unless the possible new destroyers are radically ugly, older destroyer kits won't go up in price too much.

At this moment, it is fair to say that Immortals, Crypteks, Praetorians/Lychguard, Doomscythes/Nightscythes and Triarch Stalkers are safe buys since they have been included in the new photos. Forgebane set is a very safe purchase imo.

I’m assuming a large chunk of the range is going to be replaced, so if there are specific models you really like the look of, now is the time to get them.

From a gaming perspective, I’d say wait. New models, new codex and new edition are going to change the dynamic of how Necrons play. Even out of the models you have it’s tough to say what you should build that will be effective in the next codex.

I’m on the wait and side of things as well. These new models are looking amazing. The new warriors look waay better then the old. And some of the older Necron kits are a pain in the butt to build.

Also to add, if it’s a cost thing, the new starter box set to accompany 9th will have a good amount of the new Necrons at a discount price. Even more so if you can split off or sell the marine side. So it may be worth waiting just for that.

The new Monolith has gun options that aren't in the current kit, as do the Warriors, so I think it'd be worth it to wait, even if it means paying more.  The standard Destroyer we don't currently know about, so I would wait, as it might get a new kit with multiple gun options as well.  As Get Thokt said above, some kits we know are safe from pictures.  Other kits that are very likely safe - Wraiths, Spyders, Ghost/Doomsday Arks, the Vault, and Tomb Blades are all too new to expect replacements.  

Personally, though, I'm waiting to buy anything else.  Unless you really think an existing kit is perfect, it's gonna be better to wait and see what your options will be.

With the new announcement I'm in the wait and see group as well. As Get Thokt mentioned there are some units that are "safe" since they've been pictured alongside models to be released.

Given how the last edition was launched and how many small starter packages came from it there will be an abundance of ways to get into the new models for as decent a deal as GW offers (this is where local gaming stores can come in to play for a bit more savings at times). Current collection aside I'll have an eye out for the edition launch box and the new army Start Collecting box, which would very likely give me a solid bed of new infantry and HQ options with a couple vehicle/walker extras.

Id grab a box or two of warriors, just for consistency. Itd annoy me to have two kinds of gauss flayers in my army. Apart from that, it depends. Safe purchases are any vehicles aside from the monolith, and most of the infantry. We can be reasonably sure destroyers are getting replaced, and flayed ones are likely too.

So only grab those if you really like the look of them. ^^

Id grab a box or two of warriors, just for consistency. Itd annoy me to have two kinds of gauss flayers in my army. Apart from that, it depends. Safe purchases are any vehicles aside from the monolith, and most of the infantry. We can be reasonably sure destroyers are getting replaced, and flayed ones are likely too.

So only grab those if you really like the look of them. ^^

Agree with that.

As it's being said that new Warriors loadout will include both gauss flayers and gauss reapers, you (the OP) could add up to your SC+Forgebane with Tomb Blades, Doom/Night Scythes and Ghost/Doomsday Arks. Only things to avoid seem to be Destroyers and Monoliths as they seem to have been redone; but you could find yourself some Destroyers to use as standard ones and later buy the newer ones to build them all as heavies.

This way when 9th comes out you'd have a pretty solid army only lacking in the close combat range, which the starter Necron half seems to fix with the Skorpeh destroyers and Lord; arming the new Warriors with the gauss reaper option will hopefully give them an assault weapon so they'll wither enemies while advancing. Also Pariah is being released before 9th (I guess) so you'll have some more things to collect before the new starter hits the shelves.

So in the end my 2 cents are NO, you don't have to wait, better take the chance before prices rise to take hold of as much things as you can. When 9th comes out you'll hopefully have everything built and (maybe) painted.

WOW... I did not think that my question would get this much feedback. And so soon after I posted it too.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this matter.

As the Necron Warriors are also getting more expensive after Monday, I might just pick up the SC-Box to get another unit of oldCrons and  also an Annhilation Barge (I found a quite easy way to convert it into an Tesseract Ark on youtube).

I think the question of Ichar is an important one. The Pariahs did vanish some a while ago after all (and while return soon according to the upcoming PA title). Maybe we will lose the normal destroyers?

On the subject, does anyone think the Necrons will lose any current units with the update?

Don't think so. If any, apart from the obvious new units being added (still very curious about Pariahs), some units will be redone (Warriors with new weapon option); I guess the Obelisk could have newer ruling too but nothing seems to risk being left behind.

WOW... I did not think that my question would get this much feedback. And so soon after I posted it too.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this matter.

As the Necron Warriors are also getting more expensive after Monday, I might just pick up the SC-Box to get another unit of oldCrons and also an Annhilation Barge (I found a quite easy way to convert it into an Tesseract Ark on youtube).

I think the question of Ichar is an important one. The Pariahs did vanish some a while ago after all (and while return soon according to the upcoming PA title). Maybe we will lose the normal destroyers?

Its very unlikely well lose destroyers, considering we saw a destroyer (albeit likely a heavy one) in the leaked image. Im currently more worried about flayed ones... no previews so far.

I could actually see the Canoptek Spider going away, and being replaced by one of those weird tripod 'reanimators' or whatever they're called. There is a rumor floating around Flayed Ones are getting a major overhaul.
I think a lot of kits are getting face lifts, rather than picking and removing parts of the range

Edited by BaconCouch

It reaaaaly just depends. What you stated is somewhat of a sticky decision to make. I don't think there is anything wrong with using old warriors and monoliths. The only issue I see is if you decide to have different warriors with different guns. Unless you convert those. And possibly if the new monolith is a lot bigger. Destroyers appear to have a sizable body size increase. As a necron player with a ton of stuff ranging from the old pewter 1st gen to current....I plan to activate my GW brain chip and dive head first into the new range. 

If the price is the issue, go slow. Just buy a couple kits at a time and build and paint to completion before moving onto another new kit from the new range. If you are in a rush to game at the same time, maybe use some of the old models as proxies until you can replace them with the new ones. My plan is to buy all of the new stuff and play with the old. Over time I will will paint and replace the old with the new. The models look too cool not to. I painted my original army in Sautekh colors, and plan to do a new one in the silent king's dynasty. 

But for safe models I'd say: 
Doom/night scythe
Tomb blades (though I'm hoping for a re-boxing with bigger bases)
Lychguard/praetorians
Immortals/deathmarks

CCB/anihilation barge

Tomb spyder
Tesseract vault/obilisk
triarch stalker

canoptek wraiths (please rebox with bigger bases)
ghost ark/doomosday ark

cryptek(new one on spyder bot)

overlord

Basically anything not finecast and has a green rod. Although it is completely up in the air on what will happen to the finecast characters (obviously besides szeres since he has a new model coming). I am super curious if either nothing happens to them or if a few get cut out...or if they all go away(unlikely). So I would wait on those if you had a character in mind. I have a feeling the old necron lord and cryptek finecast might go away in the new codex. Replaced or just simply removed. Same could happen with the C'tan. As iconic as the nightbringer and deceiver are, they have a chance of going away too. I am really hoping the silver body on the supposed void dragon model is a main base that could be used to make another type of C'tan. 

Forgeworld would also seem safe at the moment. 

Edited by Ahzek451

100% based on which models you like the look of. Personally, I have 60+ Warriors, but really love the look of the new ones, so I'll be getting lots of them. I have a bunch of Destroyers, which I love the look of, but I also love that new Destroyer, so I'll probably grab a few of those and use them alongside the old ones as Heavy Destroyers (if that's not what they are).

If money is an issue, just join a few buy/sell facebook groups and be patient. You WILL find great deals on stuff there (lots of buyer's remorse NIB/NOS stuff).

If you like the look of the current Necron Warriors, you will definitely be able to grab them in droves for super cheap at least during the first few months of the release, as players liquidate them off for the new ones.

As the Necron Warriors are also getting more expensive after Monday, I might just pick up the SC-Box to get another unit of oldCrons and  also an Annhilation Barge (I found a quite easy way to convert it into an Tesseract Ark on youtube).

Also I'd like to point out that you should have a good many spare headds coming from Immortal kits. As these are the same size as Warriors' ones, if you don't quite like the incoming newer warriors' heads (as it seems to happen to many players), you could substitute Deathmark (or Immortal) heads for (new) Warrior heads. This way, if your new Warriors are armed with gauss reapers they will look even more different than normal Warriors.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your comments.

I will stay put until the new edtion drops and maybe some guys will want to get rid of their destroyers :wink: 

I hope there are some more new models for the Necrons. Can't wait till everything is out.