Cloaked by the storm

I'm curious about what the general consensus is on the cloaked by the storm stratagem? Is it worth the 3CP?

My two most common opponents are blood angels and Tau. I rarely use it against BA because he doesn't bring any legit shooting threats in his army, but against Tau I use it quite a bit in an attempt to minimize damage as I close the distance with his castle. However at such a hefty cost I am wondering if maybe I would be better off taking my lumps and having more CP to spend once I get into charge range.

What do you all think? Is cloaked by the storm worth the cost against a shooty army like Tau? I don't get to play super often, and not at all lately obviously, so I don't have much data to back this up but I'm feeling that at 3 CP it may not be worth it.

Personally I like 'cloaked by storm'. Yes I think it is, or rather was very expensive, but with 'knowledge of the foe' we get CP refunded. I have had a couple games with my dad where units protected by 'cloaked by storm' have allowed me to use 'knowledge of the foe'. So in my mind it reduces the cost to 2CP. I see it as an investment stratagem and the dividends are paid when I get into combat.

Personally I like 'cloaked by storm'. Yes I think it is, or rather was very expensive, but with 'knowledge of the foe' we get CP refunded. I have had a couple games with my dad where units protected by 'cloaked by storm' have allowed me to use 'knowledge of the foe'. So in my mind it reduces the cost to 2CP. I see it as an investment stratagem and the dividends are paid when I get into combat.

I forgot all about knowledge of the foe. Haven't been able to play any games since before SotB came out due to covid.

I think it is powerful but situational.

You usually have 1 turn where you are in range of the enemy guns before you can close the distance to melee or shoot them off the table with your own guns

Whether 3CP is worth increasing the odds is up to you

I usually save my CP for transhuman physiology on my terminators...tossing another 3 CP for cloaked is low on my list of priorities

Now...the flyer combo for -2 to hit has me curious.  I made a backup army with that as the core concept if they nerfed my chaplain dreads.

With rumors of changes to flyers in 9th edition maybe I need to bump it up my list of priorities.

I do have 2 stormfangs itching for table time

Edited by TiguriusX

I usually save my CP for transhuman physiology on my terminators...tossing another 3 CP for cloaked is low on my list of priorities

Tigurius,

This is what I was thinking. I have been following your terminator trials with a lot of interest because I have 11 wolf guard terminators (mix of TH/SS, SB/SS, and PF/SB plus 1 assault cannon dude) and Arjac that I have been itching to try out with all the new options available since SotB came out. Of course I am biased since I love the wolf guard terminator models and I always lean towards models I think are cool over whatever the most efficient unit of the moment is.

Can't wait to get some games in and see how my terminators perform.

Edited by Castle Wolfenstein

I like to bring 2-3 (usually 3) TAC razorbacks w/6 grey gunters in any game and the turn 1 combo of CBTS + them popping smoke after an advance move has been big in keeping them alive to drop that hail or rounds and pop out their GH squads on turn 2.

I always find it worth it in that case. Basically guaranteeing survival against anything but "ignores modifiers" AT fire like other long fangs or such.

Oh look, people beat me to it when I thought to come here and apend with this news.

Yeah, with no additional via smoke, unless it goes down, probably not gunna get used too much anymore. Unless these big CP changes mean you're getting like, 12+ with a standard well diverse 2000pt army. In that case, woo!

Edited by Dark Legionnare

I suppose now is a bad time for any tactics questions what with so much unknown about how the game will look in a month or so.

I mean. I play every weekend. Never a bad time for tactics and discussion.

For now, it's super great when used with some mechanized fun!

Ha all our tricks just got nerfed in the 40k Q & A, units can only be made a max of -1 to hit now :sad.:

Anyone have the link for this?

I'm searching around with no luck

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/632655109?tt_medium=mobile_web_share&tt_content=vod

Yeah, we need to wait and see what they do with close combat as all seems to be ranged buffs at the moment ‍♂

Theres universal strats to prevent/punish falling back and some changes to overwatch. Line of sight/cover changes too. And Astartes chainswords...so wouldnt say its all shooting buffs (though I think the modifier cap could be wonky)
Well guess I'm waiting for some of these rules to actually materialise, its early in the spoilers but they don't seem keen to share any of the close combat stuff. I'm still waiting for 9th changes that will make me more confident about the PA we got.

P.s. cloaked by the storm was extremely expensive before and will be close to unusable if they go AoS style of generation.

Edited by C0deb1ue