Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Frenetic Laziness: A Nurgle Tale

Nurgle Daemons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,701 posts

I needed a break from Scions and with the announcement of more Primaris coming down the pipe I figured I'd hold off on painting more power armour. I wanted something I could finish quickly because I don't want to get bogged down. A 1-2 day palette cleanser as it were. I've had some Nurgle kits about since Dark Imperium came out as I thought it might be fun to supplement the Death Guard in there.

This has to be the most satisfying unit I've painted in such a swift time. I assembled it and primed it yesterday and got the unit painted up today. No portions required more than three steps to do and a lot of the smaller steps that aren't on all the models I managed to keep down to two steps. The details are crisp enough that it's pretty easy not to stray onto areas you don't want painted.

White Primer Spray

Gryph-Charger Grey Contrast Paint

I4nAJGgm.jpg?1

Athonian Camoshade wash

uWgxqWBm.jpg

Light Drybrush of Pallid Wych Flesh

x0vhIdam.jpg

Those three steps take care of a huge portion of the model. Any sloppiness is easy to paint over or can be worked into blending up colours.

Pallid Wych Flesh on the toe nails, horns, exposed bone, and teeth

x0vhIdam.jpg

- The horns kind of get an edge highlight and kind of get a blend; I did it by eye.

Corax White on the eyes

Nuln Oil or Purple recess wash around tummy teeth.

KQwXBAtm.jpg

Mechrite Red on the tongues and guts (followed by Baal Red wash and Evil Sunz Red hightlight between other steps)

Mechanicus Standard Grey on the swords

IsMgoPUm.jpg

Heavy Drybrush Administratum Grey

tVynU8gm.jpg

Only a single highlight step for the guts and that's not really an edge hightlight.

SigQaQxl.jpg?1

Champion

Ckb5f7Lm.jpg?1

The head bundle was done by heavily diluting a light green paint and putting it on the heads and once it was dry hitting the entire bundle with Guilliaman Flesh contrast paint. 

Guts and Gut Nurgling

9qeCZjMl.jpg

Here's an example of the Mechrite Red - Baal Red Wash - Evil Sunz Highlight on the guts. The gut nurgling was Warpstone Green and a Thraka Green wash.

I've definitely caught the bug - pun intended and wallowed in like a filthy nurgling - and I look forward to doing another unit after my next Scion unit. 

gallery_48988_16308_20607.png

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 624 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Plaguebearers look good. The saturated red viscera look good against the pale green! Going to pick out boils and pustules in other colours? 

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png gallery_48988_16228_15684.png      

My Works in Progress

Profile picture by Julie Hang as part of Mermay. 

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,701 posts

After reading your comment I had a looksie at the store images to get an idea of how the box pictures had the boils and pustules and the attached instagram pictures to see what other people did. I came away pleased with the boils (the bumpy bits) as they are paler than the skin. However, I did go back and do a purple glaze around any tears in the skin and a purple inking of the champion's pustules.

Here's a comparison shot with the banner bearer not having been glazed yet.

uf2bj1yl.jpg?1

2BR0rVpm.jpg  13ouBGom.jpg  fj8Y7ybm.jpg?1

• mel_danes likes this

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 624 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Looking good! :) :) 

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png gallery_48988_16228_15684.png      

My Works in Progress

Profile picture by Julie Hang as part of Mermay. 

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,701 posts

Super Heavy Gel (Gloss) was on clearance the last time I was at the art supply store. I decided to try it out on the Plaguebearer bases. The it's a glossy medium which cures transparent. I write "cures" because it's a bit softer than toothpaste in consistency and then hardens over about three days (stable after a few hours, but it takes time for the opacity to fade). You can shape it like really stiff whipped cream. I tossed in some purple ink to give it some colour and tried shaping it to make it look like the models were stomping around in a mucky-mucky.

BRxS60tm.jpg  mFzFdpMm.jpg

K8ncKeym.jpg  86cja4Nm.jpg

• BadgersinHills and Freakshow668 like this

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nurgle, Daemons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users