Previewed Marines and RG

Hello fellow Spire members,

After spending the weekend dreaming of the new marine models (like all marine players in one form or another), i thought i would come and see how the RG community feels about them and what ideas might already be formulating in peoples minds.

Bikes for me are offering a lot of potential. A smash Cpt with advance and charge warlord trait has some good synergy. The ability to give the bikes a 3+ invul to shooting after advancing has the potential to keep alive should they not make it in to combat. 

Bladeguard offer more of a pain in the backside sticking around tying things up option for master of ambush. Cool models though, rules will make them or keep them out of most lists i feel. 

Assault Intersessors could be nice blob to drop in to combat with their chainswords. Though unless they have something extra with the chainswords then reivers do the same job with extras. It will come down to options for the Sgt, if he can take TH or PF then it becomes a very promising option for all your CC needs. 

Judiciar looks fantastic! Relic blade (S6, -3ap, d3D). With our doc this could be a really good character hunter with the +1 to wound we get. 

New Cpt and Lt with storm shield will come down to load out. Though i am hopeful this means more options for Cpt's and Lt's going forward.

Hellfuries (new melta) oh yes! Master of Ambush just got some new friends! These with a Chaplin with +1 to hit is going to really upset some armour. 

What are other people's thoughts and ideas? 

Nykona

I want the bikes. And biker captain if possible.

CC Intercessors only become interesting to me if they get jump pack options when releasing the multiparts.

Everything else is irrelevant for me - our ridiculous amount of buffs for Phobos units means that regular MkX and Gravis have to be really really exceptional for me to consider them.

For me the new maries aren't  very "raven guardy". Obviously the bikes with our chapter tactic are good, and almost any of the new units that you bring with MoA is going to shine, but I think that the question is if it's going to be better than Agressors or a simple unit of intercessors. The melta guys on the other side if you stick to the primaris line, we can´t MoA anything similar right now since the loss of the Cents, so they bring a new tool to us. But we will have to wait to see the rules before arriving to any proper opinion!

I'm aligned with Kouran

I don't see these as super RG Marines. I think they all look great though and will get some

I'm hoping the Chainsword Marines with have jump pack versions in the multi kit... :yes:

Bikes for me are offering a lot of potential. A smash Cpt with advance and charge warlord trait has some good synergy. The ability to give the bikes a 3+ invul to shooting after advancing has the potential to keep alive should they not make it in to combat.

The Bikes are definitely compelling. I also like their potential for smash captain ness. I still think the Jump Pack would be better for a smash captain since that means he could threaten Flyers. I would hope that the bikers will have heavy bolt pistol and chainsword options as armament. Since having bolt rifles would be redundant, and I hope that the bike's guns can be swapped for twin auto bolt rifles or twin bolt rifles so you could tailor their use. Personally I'd use them mostly for an assault unit. I want to see CC oriented Jump Pack guys, because our chapter master specifically buffs that, and it feels bad that the only Primaris Jump Packs are more shooty than choppy. Still Bikes are nice, just not my choice for RG. Still want some.

Bladeguard offer more of a pain in the backside sticking around tying things up option for master of ambush. Cool models though, rules will make them or keep them out of most lists i feel.

I think that Bladeguard will suffer from the same problem that Aggressors do, in that their only real transport option is overcosted and they'll be hard to get up the field. I still want them because sword and board guys are cool.

Assault Intersessors could be nice blob to drop in to combat with their chainswords. Though unless they have something extra with the chainswords then reivers do the same job with extras. It will come down to options for the Sgt, if he can take TH or PF then it becomes a very promising option for all your CC needs.

I think assault intercessors will be a solid contender for all SM chapters, as long as they're a troops choice. If that's even going to be a thing in 9th edition. They might go the way of AoS and have battle lines and offer much more flexibility in how you build lists, as long as you take the right character to open up certain options for your battle line.

Judiciar looks fantastic! Relic blade (S6, -3ap, d3D). With our doc this could be a really good character hunter with the +1 to wound we get.

I want to put Shrike's Emo head on him... Then I shall have the power of the God-Emperor and Anime on my side! I'm wondering what sort of battlefield role he will occupy. I don't know how I feel about Space Marine Commissars though... Character hunter would be cool, but that doesn't feel like the way that RG would do it. They'd use eliminators or sniper scouts or close to melee with a squad behind them. Might be cool for use in successor chapters or other chapters.

New Cpt and Lt with storm shield will come down to load out. Though i am hopeful this means more options for Cpt's and Lt's going forward.

They look great, and They'll make excellent additions. I too hope for more character loadout options.

Hellfuries (new melta) oh yes! Master of Ambush just got some new friends! These with a Chaplin with +1 to hit is going to really upset some armour.

These will absolutely have a place in my army. Especially given my fluff for my Homebrew chapter.

What are other people's thoughts and ideas?

I'm happy that the range is expanding. I don't see much of this stuff being used much in my playstyle. Bikes are not going to be a big hit for me, I'll probably get a full squad of them, and that's it. Hellfuries will definitely see me get two squads worth. Assault intercessors will be a big one for me, provided I can figure a good way to get them to the fight. The Sword and Board guys will be a winner for me. The Judicar will be a great character conversion base, and generally a fun model to paint.

With some third party bits the assault intercessors will make great truescale assault marines, at the very least. I really hope they come with the option for Jump packs...

For me the new maries aren't  very "raven guardy". Obviously the bikes with our chapter tactic are good, and almost any of the new units that you bring with MoA is going to shine, but I think that the question is if it's going to be better than Agressors or a simple unit of intercessors. The melta guys on the other side if you stick to the primaris line, we can´t MoA anything similar right now since the loss of the Cents, so they bring a new tool to us. But we will have to wait to see the rules before arriving to any proper opinion!

That's my first impression as well.

I'm aligned with Kouran

I don't see these as super RG Marines. I think they all look great though and will get some

I'm hoping the Chainsword Marines with have jump pack versions in the multi kit... :yes:

I totally agree.

Edited by Ulrik_Ironfist

Assault Intercessor: I'll bet you a box set they are Troops. They will be replacing my Stalker Intercessors. Rapid-fire Intercessors will be deployed to reinforce/screen the more vulnerable Eliminator squads. I see no reason the Sergeant won't also have access to the armoury, but at the moment it's a strong factor in adding these to my list.

Troop + Hammer = Purchase

Bladeguard Veteran: I'm holding off until I see rules and point cost. Going to have to get use to that belly tabard/loincloth. I prefer lots of cheap units usually. I have feeling these guys are going to cost at least as much per model as Aggressors.

Halos and Shields?

Primaris Outriders: They look awesome, and that's from someone who never liked Marines bikes. I just don't know at the moment if they do anything for a Raven Guard army that Inceptors don't already do better. Lay down the dakka.

+1A/model meh?

Judicar: We really don't know anything about him. Marines don't have morale issues so it seems a very unlikely he's loping off Primaris heads. At first glance I thought "Cool, they gave the Black Templars a Primaris Emperor's Champion. I think it's more likely that's the role he plays. With all the PA releases there is some nasty stuff out there. I'm hoping he can be a counter to Eldar (read Harlequin) and other killy character shenanigans. I feel he's going to fit right in the Ravenspire for some reason. BTW: I want to thank Ulrik (aka Danny Rand) Ironfist for that picture of Judicar Shrike.

I promise to post pictures because it must be done :smile.:

Hellfuries: Nothing to discuss. One unit of five is an absolute must. Just not sure what I'm going to need to remove to make it happen. I have a bad feeling I have a squad of Inceptors that might collect some dust :sad.:

PS: I get Kouran's point. The new release really feels targeted to other Chapters like the Templars, the Bladeguard especially. I'll be happy to cherry pick the Hellfuries, Judicar and Assault Intercessors.

PSS: About jump pack Assault Intercessors. It feels like it would be a natural evolution ... I'm still thinking a Gravis or Omnis Assault unit is more likely. Meta wise that would give me options between light and heavy assault teams. The Bladeguard might fit the heavy assault role, but I don't think so. Combo wish listing and suspicions I guess.

Edited by Dracos

Primaris Outriders: They look awesome, and that's from someone who never liked Marines bikes. I just don't know at the moment if they do anything for a Raven Guard army that Inceptors don't already do better. Lay down the dakka.

+1A/model .

Not have to mess around with the horrendous flight stands...

A lot will depend on what the astartes chainsword actually does. If it's just +1A, they're going to be slightly faster, less shooty, no mot

Real wounds versions of inceptors and that doesn't thrill me unless they're much cheaper.

I mean, I'll get some and use them because inceptor flight stands make me incandescent with rage...

Hellfuries are the big one for me. Moa, SftS, Infiltrators all make me excited for a true melta primaris unit.

Imnkt actually that fussed assault intercessors baring the availability of running legs. Again, depending what the astartes chainsword actually does - I'm more than happy with my incursors.

I am planning on picking up 10 of the Assault Intercessors. I really like the dynamic poses we've seen and they would give me a reason to look forward to the mandatory swap to Assault Doctrine.

The bikes are a maybe. I mean they are cool, I'm a little disappointed they aren't repulsor tech. Just more proof that they are gradually replacing all the original Astartes stuff.

Edited by Master Issodon

Just thinking outside the box a little here, but, hear me out.

Usually, I deploy my 2 Thunderfire Cannons in opposite corners, to make my opponent choose which to take out, as opposed to giving in to the temptation to put them both in a Captain bubble for that sweet sweet 2+ to hit rerolling 1s. But now, Bladeguard to absorb wounds for characters, and add an Apothecary to heal/revive them, your opponent will have to devote a lot to dig out your artillery.

Another place they would be great, with an Apothecary, is as going along with a Librarian.

Edited by Jacques Corbin

Assault Intercessor: I'll bet you a box set they are Troops. They will be replacing my Stalker Intercessors. Rapid-fire Intercessors will be deployed to reinforce/screen the more vulnerable Eliminator squads. I see no reason the Sergeant won't also have access to the armoury, but at the moment it's a strong factor in adding these to my list.

Troop + Hammer = Purchase

I'm just hoping that it's a weapon swap option for the basic intercessors and not a separate unit, so that there's no datasheet bloat.

Bladeguard Veteran: I'm holding off until I see rules and point cost. Going to have to get use to that belly tabard/loincloth. I prefer lots of cheap units usually. I have feeling these guys are going to cost at least as much per model as Aggressors.

Halos and Shields?

Yeah, tabbards don't really seem to be the Raven Guard's Style, but then GW doesn't design things to fit any aesthetic but roman (because Ultramarines...).

+1A/model meh?

I'm not a huge fan of bikes either. I like the mobility they offer, but I'd rather have assault jet pack guys to deal with flyers. I'm an Air Assault guy through and through...

Judicar: We really don't know anything about him. Marines don't have morale issues so it seems a very unlikely he's loping off Primaris heads. At first glance I thought "Cool, they gave the Black Templars a Primaris Emperor's Champion. I think it's more likely that's the role he plays. With all the PA releases there is some nasty stuff out there. I'm hoping he can be a counter to Eldar (read Harlequin) and other killy character shenanigans. I feel he's going to fit right in the Ravenspire for some reason.

He's probably a character hunter. He'll probably be an elites choice. RG just don't really need any help killing characters, our relics are really good at letting our characters single out enemy characters. I mean, It's a really cool model, and we've never really seen anything like it. I really like the fact that they gave him an executioner's sword (like, modeled after the real thing, with the lack of a point). I wonder if the point is to have a guy you can stick out front and just let him eat charges, maybe he's a sgt upgrade? Like you can trade a SGT for a Judicar? That would be cool...

BTW: I want to thank Ulrik (aka Danny Rand) Ironfist for that picture of Judicar Shrike.

I promise to post pictures because it must be done :smile.:

I will also do it. I saved my shrike head, be cause I had to put King Beakie's hat on. There's no :censored:  way I'm not putting the :censored:  beakie on him. I must also troll the :censored: out of my opponents with the Anime Hero.

Hellfuries: Nothing to discuss. One unit of five is an absolute must. Just not sure what I'm going to need to remove to make it happen. I have a bad feeling I have a squad of Inceptors that might collect some dust :sad.:

No doubt. I hope they're a proper HS choice. I need some good anti vehicle firepower.

It may not be very Raven-guardy but it's all 100% awesome. I've been wanting shield units forever and am stoked for those guys. I'll probably build my Assault Intercessor with the backpacks magnetized, that way if jump packs become an option I can have a local guy 3D print some and then I'll switch to that.

I thought the bikes would have grav/repulsor tech and I'm a bit miffed that they're on wheels with 0 ground clearance. I may take an opportunity to convert them up on grav plates if it looks like it could work. I've got a LSS lying around and I'm thinking those plates might do the job.

It may not be very Raven-guardy but it's all 100% awesome. I've been wanting shield units forever and am stoked for those guys. I'll probably build my Assault Intercessor with the backpacks magnetized, that way if jump packs become an option I can have a local guy 3D print some and then I'll switch to that.

I thought the bikes would have grav/repulsor tech and I'm a bit miffed that they're on wheels with 0 ground clearance. I may take an opportunity to convert them up on grav plates if it looks like it could work. I've got a LSS lying around and I'm thinking those plates might do the job.

I'd be all over them if they'd been jetbikes... because jet bikes have fly....

I never thought about it from a rules perspective but... not having FLY could be a reason they got wheels. Given the role they wanted bikes to have FLY might have made them too strong or operate in a way they didn't want them too.

I never thought about it from a rules perspective but... not having FLY could be a reason they got wheels. Given the role they wanted bikes to have FLY might have made them too strong or operate in a way they didn't want them too.

It's possible, or maybe they just want time to figure out how space marines would have Jetbikes... I just wish that relic Scimitars were a thing...