New codex coming soon after 9th ed drops

Azaiel

So, I was doing some speculation on the current box set reveal and how GW stated that it’s not a starter set but a “launch set.”

We know that GW would never release a new edition of any game without a starter set. And we know that Dark Imperium has been discontinued.

Then I remembered Prot mentioned a box set to include DW vs Necrons. A box set to be released early in the edition.

So perhaps the starter set for 9th will be DeathWatch vs Necrons?

I will say I personally have a hard time seeing them putting DW in the starter box when wolves, BA, DA, IF, UM would probably sell more.  Doesn't make it impossible just would be surprising, a I'll believe it when I see it type thing.  Saying that if they said this isn't the starter set and we know DW are coming shortly after 9th its in the realm of possibility.  Would be odd to launch a starter set w/ DW w/o their codex, but I guess that could be covered by materials in the box.  Certainly wouldn't be upset if we got a box though haha just surprised.

I was thinking the same thing about the starter set, but at this point do we even know for sure that there's going to be a starter set? Indomitus really breaks the norm for a release like this so it's hard to figure out whats coming. If Indomitus has (most) of the new minis and the rulebook, what's there to go in to a starter box?

Maybe the Forgebane/Wake the Dead/etc style battle box is the way going forward, and we will be the first one vs crons. That could fit nicely with the multipart kits of both factions, but mixing it up a little so it's not just a redux of Indomitus (maybe Crons a unit or two of the other non-Indomitus models and we will get a new upgrade sprue and Primaris character?).

I don’t think GW will get rid of starter sets. We vets love them because we can get new models. GW needs them to bring in new players. It really lowers the entry cost for new players. Rules, dice, game aides and 2 playable armies for a lower cost then buying them separately.

I actually think the “launch set” concept is a way to get a little more from vets and collectors. My speculation is that it’ll be released 1 or 2 weeks before the official release of 9th and advertised as the only way to get the rulebooks early. Similar to sisters.

Good way to push a set. Almost like a preorders get to start playing early type of thing. Early access if you will.

I'm just not sure what a starter set can be without maybe being a slightly pared down version of Indomitus (a not-fancy-cover rulebook and maybe without a few of the solo-sprue characters).

I really don't know, that idea just came to me as I was writing, but I think it would rub people the wrong way to hype Indomitus as Lt Ed, then drop something more or less the same shortly after. Either way I still think a DW/Cron box would end up better served as a Forgebane style release introducing the multipart kits (with that new character and upgrade sprue of course :wink: )

From the sounds of things they have been thinking about what to do with deathwatch for awhile. 

Well, they've had plenty of time to think about it, that doesn't necessarily mean the time's been used wisely.

(Then again, if someone had a crafty idea day one, they could workshop it quickly and save a lot of time, so I probably shouldn't read into things more than they deserve.)

Just finished listening to the rules FAQ stream and our superhuman men in black are getting a new codex soon!

So happy about this! And it sounded as we will get access to all the new shiny bits.

What do you think we will get?

If no multipart kits with separated pads Will be out at that time DW will get nothing

I've done the etb range of kits with Deathwatch shoulderpads and it wasn't too difficult; snip the pad off in 3 parts, tidy the top of the arm with a file, glue the pad over it so it's totally possible.

I agree with the above comment, I was watching yesterday where studio head Stu Black talked about all marines getting the indomitus models, name dropping some chapters including Deathwatch, then specifically calling out Grey Knights as being the exception. However, I am holding my breath a little because he was mainly speaking about the outriders at the time, and we also know we didn't get rules for *all* of the dark Imperium models, and none of the vanguard (yet).

Imagine if they make a new type of kill team consisting of assault intercessors, eradicators, outriders and blade guard veterans as well as being able to field them as pure units? - could be interesting.

Edited by ashc

In the last stream they said every space marines amry could use the new modells, the only exeption being grey knights.

I will believe it when i see it

DW still don't have access to gravis captain, primaris ancient, phobos captain, phobos librarian and eliminators cause none of these models has separated left pads to put the DW pads on it

Incursors/Infiltrators have separate pads so it's a matter of time to be included into DW IMHO

I know it's not difficult to cut off the blank pads to put a DW pad instead but we don't have to think as experienced modellers but as newcomers that when they buy their first SM kit and a set of DW pads to start playing they MUST be able to swap the pads without the need to cut and file away an integrated pad

Imagine if a 10 years old kid buys 40k for the first time and talking to guys at the shop he fall in love for the DW

He get mom/dad to GW shop and buy the DW codex and he sees in the codex phobos captain and he buy it plus a set of DW shoulder pads

He goes home and open the box of the phobos captain and he finds out that the shoulder pad is integrated into the arm and he cannot put his new shiny DW shoulder pads on that model

Imagine the rage of his parents at the shop or over the customer service number

GW is limiting DW option just to avoid this so don't blame GW but blame instead the silly first world society we are living in now

In the last stream they said every space marines amry could use the new modells, the only exeption being grey knights.

GW is limiting DW option just to avoid this so don't blame GW but blame instead the silly first world society we are living in now

This still falls completely on GW for making the model with a shoulderpad that can't be removed for a faction that includes a subset they have decided MUST have a special shoulder pad.  Why not just allow the shoulderpad to be painted silver?  Why does it have to be textured?  You don't HAVE to buy the customization kits for any other faction, why is DW the exception?  I get where you are coming from with the kid thing, but thats completely on GW being stubborn, not on anything else.  Take your pick though who it falls on, the model for being designed poorly, or the rules writers for not allowing you to simply paint the shoulder silver.  There is enough bits you could still put some icons hanging off the shoulder to make it obvious, even without a pad that has raised lettering.  Its a wonder any other marine faction exists when they have flat shoulders too.

I haven't posted to this subforum yet, but the title of the thread really jumped out at me. I got the DW Dex just a bit before lockdown- I love the Blackstar, and I love the Inquisition and their Chambers Militant.

I'd like to add that I think it bodes well for us that there's a Xenos Inquisitor coming in the last PA, and I'm looking very, very forward to a Crusade army with her and the DW.

New wild box set speculation: what if it's a boxed set for Pariah? Szeras leading some crons and we're back up for Draxus, while Stern and her filthy xenos scum comes as a stand alone release. Looking back, the only time we've had more than 1 character come out for a PA, it's been a box set (Blood of the Phoenix and Prophecy of the Wolf), and it would make sense to end the series with another set.

Just something fun to think about.

This still falls completely on GW for making the model with a shoulderpad that can't be removed for a faction that includes a subset they have decided MUST have a special shoulder pad. Why not just allow the shoulderpad to be painted silver? Why does it have to be textured? You don't HAVE to buy the customization kits for any other faction, why is DW the exception? I get where you are coming from with the kid thing, but thats completely on GW being stubborn, not on anything else. Take your pick though who it falls on, the model for being designed poorly, or the rules writers for not allowing you to simply paint the shoulder silver. There is enough bits you could still put some icons hanging off the shoulder to make it obvious, even without a pad that has raised lettering. Its a wonder any other marine faction exists when they have flat shoulders too.
Why don't the DA pads can be green without the winged sword? Or the UM pads cannot be just blue without the upside down omega?

There is something called chapter badge maybe?

The only way GW could save us is to make some chapter badges to apply on any shoulder pads instead of making only the full pads

Why don't the DA pads can be green without the winged sword? Or the UM pads cannot be just blue without the upside down omega?

There is something called chapter badge maybe?

The only way GW could save us is to make some chapter badges to apply on any shoulder pads instead of making only the full pads

I mean I sort of addressed that with you can glue on a lot of the bits that come with the packs to give it the theming.  DW also have 2 shoulder pads, so if one is like a DA player and the other is painted silver with an inq symbol hanging off it I don't think thats really unreasonable.  To your point of the stickers, as it happens no one is going to tell you they won't play you because you don't have stickers on your model, and if they do they aren't someone you want to be around anyways lol.  If you want to play your blue marines as ultras w/o the iconography thats up to you, and even tournaments (outside MAYBE ones at warhammer world) aren't going to tell you otherwise.  If you want to put stickers on good on you, if you want to go buy the special raised symbol pads they sell more power to you.  What would be wrong with DW having that same option?  You want to cut off a shoulder pad file it down and replace it, go ahead, you don't just paint it silver, and worry about the chapter insignia pad. 

Honestly at this point we are veering from the topic a bit though, and while this still loosely falls under the new codex speculation of what we see, arguing the semantics of what is doable on a model is starting to drift a bit, so gonna stop on this topic.  I just think its a silly limitation to place on DW when other factions get away with it, but don't have much more to say on it, other than I hope we get access to most things, though I am not holding my breath due to GWs history with making questionable choices.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m hoping the new codex is more than adding existing data plates and some copy and paste. The White Dwarf update was ok, but nothing new.

The new Primaris units will be welcome, but which ones will be of use?

Eliminators will help fill a gap with either gun, I wonder if their Bolt Sniper Rifles will get SIA, doubtful since they have their own rounds. Still anti character or tank will be welcome for a relatively cheap price.

Infiltrator and Incursors wold both be nice with SIA, are they going to match the kill teams for durability and output though?

Suppressors add another anti tank option for again a good price.

If Assault Intercessors can be the base of a kill team, that could be fun.

Especially if we could add Outriders to the Fortis kill team. Outriders are pretty good and I’m sure I’ll want some.

Speaking of the kill teams, I’m not sure they will change too much.

No changes for the Veteran squad, as all new models are Primaris.

Fortis teams probably won’t change either. Adding new choices will make the team too complicated, something GW seems to be trying to eliminate. Maybe Outriders to get the bike bonus, and maybe the Bladegaurd as a Blackshield equivalent.

The Eradicators could be a choice like Hellblasters, though I’m holding my breath on that one. Eradicators with the Aggressor bonus might be too good.

All in all though, it’s time to wait and see. Plus keep up the hope GW gave us the WD update as they know we’re getting a new codex with a lot of cool new things.

I’m hoping the new codex is more than adding existing data plates and some copy and paste. The White Dwarf update was ok, but nothing new.

The new Primaris units will be welcome, but which ones will be of use?

Eliminators will help fill a gap with either gun, I wonder if their Bolt Sniper Rifles will get SIA, doubtful since they have their own rounds. Still anti character or tank will be welcome for a relatively cheap price.

Infiltrator and Incursors wold both be nice with SIA, are they going to match the kill teams for durability and output though?

Suppressors add another anti tank option for again a good price.

If Assault Intercessors can be the base of a kill team, that could be fun.

Especially if we could add Outriders to the Fortis kill team. Outriders are pretty good and I’m sure I’ll want some.

Speaking of the kill teams, I’m not sure they will change too much.

No changes for the Veteran squad, as all new models are Primaris.

Fortis teams probably won’t change either. Adding new choices will make the team too complicated, something GW seems to be trying to eliminate. Maybe Outriders to get the bike bonus, and maybe the Bladegaurd as a Blackshield equivalent.

The Eradicators could be a choice like Hellblasters, though I’m holding my breath on that one. Eradicators with the Aggressor bonus might be too good.

All in all though, it’s time to wait and see. Plus keep up the hope GW gave us the WD update as they know we’re getting a new codex with a lot of cool new things.

It will all depends on wich units canzone take the shoulder pads from the DW upgrade sprue

It was always this the thing that prevented DW to take some units and i don't think that GW is changing its mind about that

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/06/faction-focus-deathwatch/

Well, there’s confirmation that we’ll have access to everything from the box!

It Is good but how i can put a DW pad on the shoulders of models with integrated pads?

I want ALL my DW models to have those amazing looking shoulder pads

You do have a hobby knife, clippers, and greenstuff, yes?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/06/faction-focus-deathwatch/

Well, there’s confirmation that we’ll have access to everything from the box!

It Is good but how i can put a DW pad on the shoulders of models with integrated pads?

I want ALL my DW models to have those amazing looking shoulder pads

You do have a hobby knife, clippers, and greenstuff, yes?

Yep but it's more easy if the shoulder pads are separated ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just revealed from WHC:

For fans of the Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Deathwatch?

If you have one of these armies, good news – not only do you get a shiny new core codex with loads of new toys to play with, but you also have a new codex supplement on the way. You’ll be able to tailor your Space Marines force to fully embody the theme and spirit of their Chapter, and of course, include all their unique units and heroes.

Edited by Azaiel