10th company colours

hi guys, in regular C:SM 10th co dont have "colours" per say.

Is this the same for BA, what colour should i paint trim on a tenth co primaris you think?

Blood angels don't have trim colours - they mark out their Companies by shoulder pad symbols.

So red should be the trim colour for all BA, not just the 10th company.

That's really interesting, I didn't know that. So if I paint shoulder pad trim the same colour as the armour?

thanks for your help

This is the official Blood Angels heraldry according to the latest Codex:

oHJkmpm.png

PPr1aGW.png

K76Iedr.png

DGpkEmm.png

Note that not every successor chapter follows the same heraldry though. Flesh Tearers for example follow the vanilla heraldry more closely.

Yup.  Aside from Blood Drinkers, I think all Blood Angel successors follow the same "company is marked with shoulder symbol, not trim" principle.

Not quite true. There are several others who do it differently as well. First of all Flesh Tearers but also Angels Sanguine and Lamenters among others. Not necessarily by having a differently coloured trim but also not quite the way the parent chapter does it.

Edited by Panzer

thanks guys, im going for a successor chapter, half and half coloured. But I want to honour the blood angel system.

infiltrators/reviers etc only have the one shoulder pad on thier left side. do I put chapter symbol there and squad symbol on the non pad shoulder?

@panzer, thats really useful thank you

Note that not every successor chapter follows the same heraldry though. Flesh Tearers for example follow the vanilla heraldry more closely.

While Flesh Tearers don't seem to follow  the "Blood Angels  helmet colours" rules at all,  I don't  think they follow the "Codex armour trim" rules either - every Studio Flesh Tearers model I've seen has been wearing black shoulder trim.

They also  don't follow the "Codex 1st Company wear white helmets" rules - their terminators have the same black helmets  as their line marines.

Though I'd agree that, however the Flesh Tearers mark their companies, it's a bit different from the Blood  Angels "coloured drops" system.

On close inspection - they wear their "Company coloured drop" inside the appropriate Codex squad marking - the sample pic is of a 5th Company Battleline marine  - and he wears the Tactical arrow symbol, but on top of it is the "Blood Angel black drop for 5th company" symbol.

The Angels Sanguine and Angels Encarmine have "Blood Angel drops" for Companies, both on right knee. The Lamentors appear to  have  "Codex  Company Colour" but on left knee, and none of those have "Company shoulder trim".

thanks guys, im going for a successor chapter, half and half coloured. But I want to honour the blood angel system.

infiltrators/reviers etc only have the one shoulder pad on thier left side. do I put chapter symbol there and squad symbol on the non pad shoulder?

It's a mini-shoulder  pad rather than a full-sized  one, but it looks big enough to squeeze in the appropriate Company symbol.

Edited by Iron Lord

Definitely the Chapter Icon should be placed on the left shoulder pad. 

For Company and Squad designation it's up to you actually.

Blood Angels and some of the Successors follow the pictures Panzer has provided: Company designation on the right shoulder pad, denoted with coloured blood drops, Squad designation on the right knee-pad showed with a specific icon.

However some Successors follow Codex Astartes in this or mix freely. Flesh Tearers show Company designation as BA, but squad is denoted by a numeral not an icon. They also sport a battlefield role marker, for example: arrow for a battle-line (Tactical).
Angels Sanguine (who use a half-red, half-black colour scheme) show Company designation on a knee-pad with a BA-type icon, while a squad is shown by a big numeral on a battlefield role marker on the right shoudler pad.

:wink:

Edited by Majkhel

So, to sum up:

Angels Encarmine, Angels Vermilion, Knights of the Chalice - As  Blood Angels

Carmine Blades - As Blood Angels,  but with differing squad symbol order (the sample guy from 2nd Squad, wears the  symbol that's used by 8th Squad in Blood Angels)  

Blood Drinkers - As Codex

Lamentors - As Codex, but with kneepad, not shoulder trim, marking Company

Flesh Tearers, Angels Sanguine - Hybrid of Blood Angels and Codex, in different ways

Edited by Iron Lord

Also the Codex recommends changing up the markings from time to time to confuse the enemy. So if, for example, you want your trims to be black and have company numbers on the left breastplate, go for it, it will not be agaisnt the lore.

Edited by Klod

I plan on painting my shoulder trims and Aquila’s gold, but this is an aesthetic choiceand has nothing to do with company designation, which others have pointed out is denoted by the insignia on the shoulder pad itself. I realise this isn’t strictly accurate to the codex, I just saw some BA in the 4th ed BRB in the Killteam section. All chapter and squad markings will be according to codex. My point is that they’re your models and paint them as you wish, you could even decide to paint them with different insignia to denote company and squad if you feel like. Main thing is that they’re red I suppose.

I plan on painting my shoulder trims and Aquila’s gold, but this is an aesthetic choiceand has nothing to do with company designation, which others have pointed out is denoted by the insignia on the shoulder pad itself. I realise this isn’t strictly accurate to the codex, I just saw some BA in the 4th ed BRB in the Killteam section. 

That was the protagonists of the Bloodquest comic.

I plan on painting my shoulder trims and Aquila’s gold, but this is an aesthetic choiceand has nothing to do with company designation, which others have pointed out is denoted by the insignia on the shoulder pad itself. I realise this isn’t strictly accurate to the codex, I just saw some BA in the 4th ed BRB in the Killteam section.

That was the protagonists of the Bloodquest comic.

Yeah I think you’re right about that. Captain Leonartos and crew. I totally want to get my hands on that comic at some point. Also I just like the variation in colours scheme they use for Leonatos and crew and thought it would be good done over a whole army.