Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are DA Bladeguard likely to be part of the 1st Company?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Angel of Solitude

Angel of Solitude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 424 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, Thousand Sons

I'm with Brother Tyler here - I think Bladeguards will be to the Primaris Dark Angels what Company Veterans are to the Firstborn Dark Angels. They'll be highly decorated / experienced Primaris, who fight either in the Command Squad, or as part of a single squad in one of the 4 Battle Companies. I don't think they'll be Deathwing, because I don't believe they fit the modus operandi of the Deathwing - a heavily armoured, surgical strike force that deep strikes in a unleashes an extremely focused fury. Deathwing Assault allows you to teleport in and fire twice in one shooting phase with storm bolters, assault cannons, cyclone missile launchers, plasma cannons...if you're going to incorporate the Primaris into the Deathwing, then I'd be amazed if you just gave them a shield, sword, no teleport ability and let them get on their merry way.

Aggressors have always seemed a more likely Deathwing option, given their firepower output, melee capabilities and even toughness - albeit through T5 rather than an invulnerable. However, the issue here is lack of teleport ability. But here's an option: we know that the Dark Angels have historically kept their distance from Mars, favouring their own Terran technology. There is also mention in the recent lore that they're trying to learn as much as they can from Cawl to stop them being reliant upon them. Is it possible that Dark Angels techmarines might be able to develop their own variant of Gravis armour to award those Primaris members of the Deathwing? It would certainly allow the Deathwing to retain its uniqueness relative to the other Space Marine 1st companies.

• Galloway likes this

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15493_11529.pnggallery_48988_15200_20209.png

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 252 posts
I think we’re absolutely in a long wait and see period. I was one of those that suggested that infiltrator style phobos units could work in an updated ravenwing (guilty as charged) and clearly that’s not needed since the bikers got leaked. We might be in for a fairly long wait for a proper update though so bunker down brothers and sisters

Edited by UtariOnzo, 29 May 2020 - 10:01 PM.

bigtrouble

bigtrouble

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 34 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
The 9th edition DA codex is going to be explosive.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 21,932 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

Today's Warhammer Community Post

0lM5Lb5Ym8RaCi1V.jpg

"The sharp-eyed among you may have noticed some Deathwing transfers in Saturday’s reveal and this is why – the Bladeguard Veterans are part of the Dark Angels’ legendary 1st Company, having earned hard-won trust of the Inner Circle.*** Woe betide any member of the Fallen when these guys come knocking.

*** And the robes fit right in."

So I guess I was wrongcool.png

• InKaras, Jack of the Pelt, Iron Lord and 2 others like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels & Word Bearers
Yep, same. Maybe it goes hand in hand with how the new HH book has them organized.

Angel of Solitude

Angel of Solitude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 424 posts
So do we think the new Primaris Lt might also be a member of the Deathwing then?

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15493_11529.pnggallery_48988_15200_20209.png

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts
I would think so for the Lieutenant. There is no minor HQ for DW currently, so it fits a hole there.

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 252 posts
Interesting, but also confusing. I’d have thought some kind of Gravis variant would be more appropriate, but I suppose this lines up with the new HH Deathwing power armoured unit (sword and board protectors) while reviving the old 2nd edition power armoured deathwing members (classic white captains anyone?)
  • nusphigor likes this

Angel of Solitude

Angel of Solitude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 424 posts
I can understand the design consideration. Stick them in a Gravis variant, and all of a sudden you’re limited to a maximum of 5 in a Repulsor, excluding any character support. Keeping them in regular MkX allows a squad of 5 with a character in an Impulsor, or a squad of 8 with 2 character support in a Repulsor.

Don’t forget that these guys are rocking storm shields of some description, so will have access to an invulnerable save.

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 85 posts

To add on whether the Lt would be Deathwing, there are 5 deathwing transfers. We have seen the ancient as one, the three bladeguard as well, leaving one unaccounted for. I would think that the last would be for the Lieutenant, excluding the captain for obvious reasons.

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,362 posts

Nope, not a fan of this. 

It looks great, no doubt on that, but it'll be interesting to see how they justify this going forward.

• Volt likes this
gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Berzul

Berzul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,106 posts
  • Faction: Wings of Dawn (DA Successors)

Nope, not a fan of this.
It looks great, no doubt on that, but it'll be interesting to see how they justify this going forward.

Pretty sure the "justification" is, has been, and will be: They are part of the Deathwing.

Thats it.
  • Jack of the Pelt, Zebukkuk, Dumah and 1 other like this

"Fiat lux!"
- Battle cry of the Wings of Dawn, a Dark Angel's Successor Chapter

gallery_26154_15777_630.png

Brother_Darius

Brother_Darius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,255 posts

Does remind me of old 2nd/3rd edition.  Where you could make your sgts and such members of the deathwing "little d", but they were always distinctly separate from the 1st Company Deathwing "Big D".  One of the distinctions of the Dark angels being they were the only Chapter to have soooo much ancient tech that they had the equipment available to field an entire company in TDA.

So I'm mixed on this.  I do like the ability to distinguish mates as being in the "little d" but I more the loss of an entire company of only TDA.

• Petitioner's City likes this
Chastise the Unholy with the Sacred Bolt,
Cleanse the Unclean with the Fire of Purity,
Cleave the Impure with the Blade of Hatred,

Armor your Soul with the Shield of Righteousness,
Guard your Heart with the Ward of Honor,
Strengthen your Arm with the Steel of Revulsion.

bevulf

bevulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 755 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

I like Primaris but I absolutely do not accept such change. For me the 1st company has always been only terminator company. They could have just introduce new primaris terminators instead but not this. Bladeguards in Deathwing without terminator armour totally screw up the awesomness of this formation. 

Edited by bevulf, 18 June 2020 - 05:04 PM.

• Interrogator Stobz and Volt like this
gallery_46134_15057_19542.jpg

G8Keeper

G8Keeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,012 posts
  • Faction: Angels Repentant
Does this mean we can trust Primaris now?
gallery_3547_15792_6078.pnggallery_3547_15435_7258.pnggallery_3547_15792_4794.png

Brother_Darius

Brother_Darius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,255 posts

As much as any other member of the 1st Company

Angel of Solitude

Angel of Solitude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 424 posts

Those that are deemed worthy enough for the trials and have survived a psychic probing by Ezekiel...

On lore though, my understanding is that Azrael has been a pragmatic progressive towards the Primaris, and has had to convince other members of the Inner Inner (Inner?) Circle to be accepting. The White Dwarf article introduced the first Deathwing Primaris candidate, the success of which has obviously helped convince the others of the trustworthyness of Primaris.

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
If these guys get the DW keyword rather than just being a colour scheme then they’ll be able to use Fortress of Shields. Not too shabby.
  • Zebukkuk, UtariOnzo and bigtrouble like this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 252 posts

Those that are deemed worthy enough for the trials and have survived a psychic probing by Ezekiel...

On lore though, my understanding is that Azrael has been a pragmatic progressive towards the Primaris, and has had to convince other members of the Inner Inner (Inner?) Circle to be accepting. The White Dwarf article introduced the first Deathwing Primaris candidate, the success of which has obviously helped convince the others of the trustworthyness of Primaris.

This. There was a bit of a schism both within the Dark Angels and between their Successors. Those Chapters that had been mauled by the ill fated attack on Darkmor have been very pro-Primaris, while I presume other more conservative Sons of the Lion have been solidly anti-Primaris. Azrael's behaved very much as the Grand Compromiser between the two by staking his reputation (and possibly his position) on the outcome of a trial.

Folks have every right to not like it, and I'm very surprised they're going with a non-gravis unit off the bat, but it seems Deathwing is being made to evolve by GW. I guess they're very similar to the old legion DW Companions, which makes sense given how alike to Legion units a lot of the Primaris line has been (Intercessors and Hellblasters being obvious Tactical and Support squad copies)

Brother_Darius

Brother_Darius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,255 posts

And moving forward lore wise, considering how that first IC Primaris Lazaris, equated himself well in Psychic Awakening (lore wise), I'm sure that helped move everything forward with the primaris detractors.

• UtariOnzo likes this

Corswain

Corswain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,771 posts
  • Faction: Ist, IVth and VIIIth Legions

Disappointing. The all terminator first company was one of the reasons I fell in love with the Dark Angels to begin with. That and the robes, but everyone has robes now too.

Seems like GW are going to have to do a major shakeup of the Dark Angels or they will lose too much of what makes them unique.

• m_r_parker, Interrogator Stobz, Marshal Loss and 2 others like this

Zebukkuk

Zebukkuk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 63 posts

The 3rd edition codex had Deathwing sergeants as a 5 point upgrade for Tactical, Assault, and Devastator veteran sergeants. I never saw any sergeants painted bone white though.

Interesting, but also confusing. I’d have thought some kind of Gravis variant would be more appropriate, but I suppose this lines up with the new HH Deathwing power armoured unit (sword and board protectors) while reviving the old 2nd edition power armoured deathwing members (classic white captains anyone?)

• Petitioner's City and bigtrouble like this

Brother_Darius

Brother_Darius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,255 posts

That is actually how I painted mine up.  Squad was DA green.  Sgts were bone armor and green robes.  as was Command Squad.

• Zebukkuk likes this

Zebukkuk

Zebukkuk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 63 posts

To be fair every member of the Inner Circle should be wearing bone white armour with the broken sword icon. I never understood why GW painted members of the Inner Circle of the Deathwing (Librarian, Interogator-Chaplain, Master, Grand Master) in Codex colours.

Disappointing. The all terminator first company was one of the reasons I fell in love with the Dark Angels to begin with. That and the robes, but everyone has robes now too.

Seems like GW are going to have to do a major shakeup of the Dark Angels or they will lose too much of what makes them unique.

GW beat me to it. I had an idea for a Deathwing Initiate squad. Basically brethren who are first degree Deathwing (a bit like a Masonic Blue Lodge 'Entered Apprentice') but without the training for Terminator armour.

Whenever GW gets around to bona fide Primaris Deathwing, the Bladeguard might be the first step before election to higher 'degrees' (Deathwing 'Fellow Craft', Deathwing Knight, Deathwing Master, etc.).

Nope, not a fan of this.

Pretty sure the "justification" is, has been, and will be: They are part of the Deathwing.

Thats it.

Edited by Zebukkuk, 18 June 2020 - 08:55 PM.

Cpt_Reaper

Cpt_Reaper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,227 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Shadow
I will wait for new lore and maybe our Codex update before I commit. With a Successor I have a bit more freedom. I'd rather the Blade Guard were Company Veterans, but if we get other Primaris Deathwing I can see adding them to my First Company
  • DarkPhoenix likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Murdicus