New Project - Space Wolves with a few Q's about Org/Colours

Hi all, hope everyone is safe and well.

Given the info on the new release, I have finally decided that Space Wolves will become my new project. I've purchased the Prophecy Of The Wolf boxed set and will sell off the Ork half. I also have another 5 Infiltrators/Incursors to assemble as leftovers from my Raven Guard project. All 15 will be assembled as Infiltrators with a Comms Array because I think they are a brilliant unit for my play style. Other than that, I have 15 Intercessors still left to paint from various Dark Imperium acquisitions, the Phobos Characters from Shadowspear and a Primaris Chaplain.

I'm not back at work until the end of June, so have lots of time to paint them all. So I acquired my first airbrush.

Whilst the standard Russ-Fenrisian blue/grey scheme seems standard, I have decided to use the more Heresy-era colours using the Air versions of Dawnstone and Administratum Grey. Do you think anyone would have issues with these colours on the tabletop?

My other question is regarding Company Organisation. In a Codex Chapter, there is a 6-2-2 split between the type of 10 units in a Company. I can't seem to find anything that says the Space Wolves stick adherently to this. So, for theme/fluff purposes, if I chose The Blackmane's as my Company, does it matter if I have more Close Support units than the 2 that a Codex Chapter would run?

My initial idea is something along the lines of:

- Ragnar

- Phobos Captain, Battle Leader and Rune Priest

- Primaris Battle Leader

- 3*5 Infiltrators with Comms Array

- 3*5 Intercessors (1 unit of Vets in Repulsor)

- 2* Redemptor

- 9 Wulfen (Ragnar deep strikes with them)

(Close Support units to be decided)

- 2*3 Las Fusil Eliminators

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My painting has improved a lot during the past 9 weeks of Lockdown as, other than taking the Dogs out for lots of walks, there hasn't been much else to do each day!

I hope to make this new project worthy of a PLOG on here.

In terms of colours, I use heresy era on mine (if not darker) no one would ever have an issue with it I dont think. It's your army, paint it how you like.

As for the makeup of your force, wolves very specifically dont follow the normal rules. The codex astartes is little more than toilet paper tbh. My own forces are always heavily based around elites, but you can basically do whatever you want and it would fit with the fluff. Each wolf lord picks their company makeup based on their own personality such as the iron wolves being heavily based around vehicles, or the blackmanes being very geared towards assault with lots of blood claws. Also there is no set limit on how large a company can be so you dont need to limit yourself to 100 marines. Some companies are smaller, some are way bigger (I believe in one of the older books there were over 200 wolves in one of the great companies).

Basically long story short, the benefit of wolves is that you can basically do whatever you want with them and it fits the fluff so go nuts. Good luck and welcome to the vylka fenryka brother