Expanding Tyranids

Plague _Lord

Hi there.
As of late I have been using the free time from the pandemic to make lists of what I have and what armies I would like to keep/expand. It happens I have quite a sizeable force of nids but sadly haven't played them in ages.

Here is a list I came up with based on what I have. I would like some tips if the base is good and what I could add models-wise to reach 2k both cost efficiently and actually making the list decent. I've allways like hive fleet kraken and think their trait is pretty strong on the table. I know 9th will change things but let's just think about this through the scope of 8th ed.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids) [92 PL, 4CP, 1,633pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Hive Fleet: Kraken

+ Stratagems +

Bounty of the Hive Fleet [-3CP]: 2 Extra Bio-artefacts

Progeny of the Hive [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant [9 PL, 185pts]: Adrenal Glands, Heavy Venom Cannon, Monstrous Scything Talons, Power: Onslaught, Power: Smite, Power: Synaptic Lure, Power: The Horror, Resonance Barb, Toxin Sacs, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Adaptive Biology

Tervigon [13 PL, 186pts]: Adrenal Glands, Chameleonic Mutation, Massive Scything Talons, Power: Catalyst, Power: Smite, Stinger Salvo, Toxin Sacs

+ Troops +

Genestealers [12 PL, 240pts]: 3x Acid Maw, Toxin Sacs
. 15x Genestealer: 15x Rending Claws

Hormagaunts [6 PL, 160pts]: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
. 20x Hormagaunt: 20x Scything Talons

Termagants [6 PL, 80pts]
. 20x Termagant (Fleshborer): 20x Fleshborer

Tyranid Warriors [9 PL, 168pts]: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs
. Tyranid Warrior: Devourer, Scything Talons
. Tyranid Warrior (Bio-cannon): Barbed Strangler, Scything Talons

+ Elites +

Deathleaper [5 PL, 60pts]

Haruspex [10 PL, 150pts]
. Adaptive Physiology: Dermic Symbiosis

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [6 PL, 107pts]
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bone Mace, Spore Cysts, Tusks

Carnifexes [6 PL, 124pts]
. Carnifex: Adrenal Glands, Enhanced Senses, Heavy Venom Cannon, Monstrous Scything Talons, Spore Cysts

Trygon Prime [10 PL, 173pts]: 3x Massive Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Arachnacyte Gland, Biostatic Rattle

++ Total: [92 PL, 4CP, 1,633pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Now I might have 30 of both gants and gaunts and possibly another carnifex...

I was thinking of a brigade and really like the look of zoanthropes and lictors.

Edit - I misread the resonance barb of also giving and extra psychic power :)

Edited by Plague _Lord

Hi there, my first thoughts on your list are that you need more termagants, 20 isnt enough to justify a tervigon for respawns. Id say minimem would be 2 units of 30 (with fleshborers, devourers are only for deep striking shenanigans)

Secondly, dont pay for upgrades on the stealers. They're very powerful already a very powerful unit, they're also quite expensive and fragile, spend points on more models rather than upgrades.

Warriors should always take death spitters over devourers. Devs are 4p each and DS are 5p. For 1p more you get S5 over S4 and ap1 over ap0. 100% worth the investment here.

Honeslty I'd say follow any direction you want in expanding your collection, its about enjoying the hobby.. That said, lictors are in a bad place at the moment. Death leaper will fill your lictor needs, but i really believe they are the new pyrovores in 8th edition.

Try and fill out the genestealers, termagants and hormagaunts. It's surprising how long it can take down a full unit of 30 gants.

Swarmlord is as close to an auto include there is in my army. He works so well with stealers. He might get some work out of the haruspex too.

Hi there, my first thoughts on your list are that you need more termagants, 20 isnt enough to justify a tervigon for respawns. Id say minimem would be 2 units of 30 (with fleshborers, devourers are only for deep striking shenanigans)

Secondly, dont pay for upgrades on the stealers. They're very powerful already a very powerful unit, they're also quite expensive and fragile, spend points on more models rather than upgrades.

Warriors should always take death spitters over devourers. Devs are 4p each and DS are 5p. For 1p more you get S5 over S4 and ap1 over ap0. 100% worth the investment here.

Honeslty I'd say follow any direction you want in expanding your collection, its about enjoying the hobby.. That said, lictors are in a bad place at the moment. Death leaper will fill your lictor needs, but i really believe they are the new pyrovores in 8th edition.

Try and fill out the genestealers, termagants and hormagaunts. It's surprising how long it can take down a full unit of 30 gants.

Swarmlord is as close to an auto include there is in my army. He works so well with stealers. He might get some work out of the haruspex too.

Pretty spot on.

I’d just add that if you are looking into zoanthropes, they perform best in a full unit of 6 with a neurothrope. Although it’s fun to run, I do find it on the expensive side.