Need input on which chapter, background info, model design

sturguard

Hey folks,

So my last post really provided me some clarity and excitement, I started doing some modelling but before I continue I wanted to get some input on how to proceed as far as chapter markings etc.

Here's a short summary for those who don't know-

I have a very large SW force I have assembled over the past 30 years. I have never had much time to play but rather more with modelling and painting. Now as my kids are going off to college, I anticipate having more time to actually play. The primaris models are ok, really they are just bigger marines, there isn't anything about them that makes me want to rush out and buy them, not to mention the ones I have make the rest of my army look stupid. So my idea is to convert all the new models (or the ones I like) back to trueborn scale.

All of my models are mkiv or later. All the new models will be mkIII. So I have two directions to go, the one is that these are elements of the 13th company that have emerged from the warp, hence the mkiii armor, and they are bigger and stronger than normal marines because of their time in the warp. They can handle the weaponry of primaris with ease. Or I could simply say that similar to the Dark  Angels Luther, these older vets were deemed unable to survive the transition to primaris but instead were augmented above marine standards to handle the weaponry of the primaris. 

So the cool thing about this venture is- 

1. I have most everything I need to do the modelling

2. The converting aspect of the hobby is really all I can do well at this point as my painting skills have suffered as I have aged.

3. I can choose a new color scheme for these new units as I am not bound to the paint scheme of my old marines (maybe something more basic I can handle- black maybe?) Or I can look online and find an easy tutorial.

4. My whole army will be in scale

5. I really enjoy converting.

I have already started on an Intercessor unit, they are coming along well. My next plan is to do an Eliminator squad and then some of those new guys with the large shields. Honestly all the new models will be really fun to try and convert.

The questions I have of you guys is this-

Help me lock down the lore

Then I can choose shoulder pads from Shapeways to order (mkIII ones)

Then I can work on a color scheme

When we lock all this down, then Ill start to post pictures in a new thread of my model progress.

Thanks!

I really like the idea of having elements of the 13th company in your army. In my mind it could be used to justify having increased attacks and wounds while still being the same size as the rest of your marines. And you could easily say that while on an extended campaign your company encountered elements of the 13th that had recently emerged from the warp after being separated from their brothers.

So I vote for 13th company shoulder pads.

As far as painting goes have you may find it easier to get an airbrush or invest in the contrast paints. This is assuming you’ve come to terms with presbyopia and invested in some reading glasses.

I hope you post your conversions. I have some Mkiii sitting on a sprue and would be interested to see what can be done to upscale.

One of the coolest aspects of Space Wolves is that even though they are a legion all blooded and taken from Fenris, they have the most cohesive and reverent units all the way down to the last 2 wolves from a pack before one may become a lone wolf.

The current lore says there's these 12 wolf lords...but really we only hear about like 3. Then amongst the more established great companies theres multiple heros at the wolf lord level with his own followers that use his iconography.

You can really make up your own great company and have a guy who uses Ragnars Rules...

I'm starting over with SW myself. Theyre going to be mostly Primaris. I'm making most of my characters OG or Primaris, including Sgts as DW vets. Ragnar wants to take it to the Orks and he's gathering all the most skilled Xenos killers in the Legion for his Hunt.

I dunno if you've seen the waaaaaay back posts for truescale Marines...one great one in particular is the DOGHOUSE pattern. Its using chaos warriors with Marine bits and some chopping. They almost all have cloaks and fur as well as look grim dark. If youre thinking 13th they definitely fit the bill. Doghouse is an actually member here and many of people including myself have used that scheme. The chaos warriors he used are possibly discontinued so you may be able find some cheap to 'Rescue'

But 1 start collecting of OG space wolves has a butt load of bits and weapons that all have SW themed sculpts. Plus I think you mentioned your biker HQs are legends...well HQs on Thunderwolfs ain't. Theres 3 round and 2 rectangle SW storm shields in that box. You also get a good amount of decals. Deathwatch vets have a near Primaris size and tons of weapons/shields

Pop goes the Monkey has nice bits. Order through his website...theyre still coming from shapeways but he'll get more $$$. I got to say you're look at around 20 bucks for 10 shields. He has 2 to 3 styles for each legion and they differ in price depending on the style.

Doghouse thread....

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/130115-modelling-doghouse-pattern-truescale-marines/

I myself chose the Palanite enforcers shield, they're huge and look more modern. You can see them in my post in this forum.

As for a backstory I would want to know you and your playstyle a bit more before making suggestions. But I do understand that having a good story to go off of makes the hobby more fun.

Maybe just play against yourself or a friend a few times with a small force. Then start your saga based on what they did really well.

As for age making painting hard...i feel that man. Between the Marine Corps infantry, age and a bad car accident I cant sit in a chair at a desk for long. So I do a lot painting standing at a high desk or flopping down on a yoga matt and painting laying down...don't judge me lol. Not sure if you airbrush either but man it saves a lot of time and you can really work the OSL/Zenithal system with easy. Varnish and oil washing is also a huge time saver.

Check out these guys on youtube

Marco Frisoni for good oil wash techniques. He also has a few color theory videos where he only uses blk, white, red, blue and yellow paints and just mixes.

Next Level Painting...hes an awesome artist that has great airbrush and highlight techniques

Midwinter Minis- he's all about speed painting. He's very good at explaining steps and he uses a lot of basic colors

Thanks guys, I decided to go towards the 13th company route. I ordered my bits yesterday and am just waiting for them to arrive. 

Dan, Im not looking to really make the models larger, otherwise Id have the same issue with using the boxed primaris, they kind of make the rest of my army look silly. The point is to keep using all that other stuff I have and not have some of the new units look intrusive to the army. With 9th coming and maybe less of a need for troops, I can keep using my terminators, wulfen, etc but I want the supporting units to slide in there and not look out of place. Also working on a leviathan right now as well. 

Another sweet unit (and I dont know anything about the game play on them) are the Sabre Strike tanks from FW. Not sure how they play in the 40k arena, but I really like the models and they might fit right in with my razorbacks with tlac.

Thanks guys, I decided to go towards the 13th company route. I ordered my bits yesterday and am just waiting for them to arrive.

Dan, Im not looking to really make the models larger, otherwise Id have the same issue with using the boxed primaris, they kind of make the rest of my army look silly. The point is to keep using all that other stuff I have and not have some of the new units look intrusive to the army. With 9th coming and maybe less of a need for troops, I can keep using my terminators, wulfen, etc but I want the supporting units to slide in there and not look out of place. Also working on a leviathan right now as well.

Another sweet unit (and I dont know anything about the game play on them) are the Sabre Strike tanks from FW. Not sure how they play in the 40k arena, but I really like the models and they might fit right in with my razorbacks with tlac.

Well i am not aware of them being available for 40k. Theyre not in my most recent index, battlescribe and the pdf rules online seem to only cover horus heresy. But I would like to use them. I like volkite weapons and the sicarian chassis is great

But if you knownwhwre to get them