Necromunda: Underhive Wars - Rogue Factor - PC, Xbox, PS4

Ranulf

tangoalphatwo,

There appears to be a hold up with regards to the PS4 release. No concrete details as yet.

New vids are up, but they mostly cover old ground:

-Ran

Yeah, a good bit of recycled content in those. :(

Aye, the media releases for the game have been handled poorly - it was a black hole for nearly two years followed by bunch of trailers that show mostly the same game content/cinematic footage in a different order each time.

The lack of a comprehensive gameplay trailer ten days before release is a little concerning.

That said, I’m remaining optimistic for the release.

I may take a leap on it.

It doesn't appear to be remotely close to a twitch game, or even a shooter at all, but some tactical type thing.

I was hoping for closer to a shooter, but still interested in giving it a shot.

I caved and pre-ordered. I did play Mordheim a lot and enjoyed that but it was a bit repetitive, this looks a lot more polished but guess we'll find out soon.

Are the other Houses going to be DLC?

Honestly wouldn’t mind if they were.

And I would pre-order right now if they had the PS4 version

Well now I've played it I had to say it's far better than I thought it would be. Story and cutscenes are fantastic for the single player campaign, they totally nailed the Necromunda feel and the character creator is really in depth with colours and options. I had expected a copy and paste of Mordheim but they really out did themselves with this one. Gameplay is very enjoyable and so far I'm hooked on the game.

Well now I've played it I had to say it's far better than I thought it would be. Story and cutscenes are fantastic for the single player campaign, they totally nailed the Necromunda feel and the character creator is really in depth with colours and options. I had expected a copy and paste of Mordheim but they really out did themselves with this one. Gameplay is very enjoyable and so far I'm hooked on the game.

Same. It's crashed twice, however. I'm putting this down to new game jitters for now. I'm doing the story mode, so it isn't as annoying as if it had during pvp. I'm glad you get to play as Eschers in it ^_^

Yeah I've had a few bugs as well which can be frustrating including the crashing. The AI isn't amazing but for what I paid and knowing they'll probably patch the first day issues it's enjoyable to run around in the 40k universe. 

I do find that it's not always clear how you are supposed to complete objectives in the story, it's got quite a steep learning curve.

After seeing some reviews and feedback, I think I'll give this a miss. Shame because I love Necromunda. I've played Mordheim quite a bit but to be honest, I find it more frustrating than fun, so another similar game isn't something I want to spend money on.

Maybe in a year or so if there's been some improvements and DLC.

Yeah, will have to wait for some more reviews at the very least. I think munda's suited to this and a tactical RPG with thus much verticality would be cool but it might be one to wait for early patches and DLC.

I'm probably hoping in vain for this to come out on the switch, amn't I...

I'm a little over halfway through the narrative campaign at the moment. Hard to make any real judgments about the game at this point as the core gameplay will be found in the unlimited gamemode that involves gang building/management - aspects that aren't part of the narrative campaign. (it's more of an oversized tutorial)

Visually the game is on point - it looks and feels like Necromunda.

The mechanics of gameplay aren't too bad - for those that were worried about a Mordheim reskin - yes, it does feel that way in some respects. The melee combat unfortunately is very similar to the you-punch-me-I-punch-you until someone falls over style of Mordheim.

Movement however is very much improved on the Mordheim engine - a more generous movement allowance along with the vast amount of options for vertical movement means that getting around the map is easy and you tend to avoid the all-in scrums that Mordheim suffered from. 

Activations work a lot better too - in 'Munda you choose a fighter and they enter an imitative queue with one fighter from each other gang present and once those fighters resolve actions, you pick the another fighter and repeat the process - no more watching your opponent get to move five or six guys before you. 

The three gangs all feel very similar at the moment and seem to lack the specialization of their tabletop counterparts - but that may change in the unlimited mode once skills start building up. 

I'm enjoying it so far, but as I said, the real test will be the unlimited mode with gang management and PvP games.

-Ran

Edited by Ranulf

So I just downloaded it and had about an hour to play while the wife was out running errands... I only got through the first two missions, and oh man is it amazing! I would have paid the money simply to look at the maps, check out the name generator, and play with the ganger customization bits!!! Then again I’ve been a fan of Munda since it first came out when I was a tyke. So to each their own.

Having only played the first two missions (the rest of the game is still downloading), I think I'm going to be pleased with the cost to entertainment value (it's only $60AU, compared to most title being $100+). Pretty excited to get into the endless mode tomorrow evening once my download is finished.