Hype and potential for DW with new marines

angrom

Hi everyone.

With the new marines revealed and the note that deathwatch will get an update immediately in V9 

with the addition of the new marines to our forces.

I am the only one excited about the new bikes? and why not the storm shield primaris?

If our army unit structure keeps it's specificity it is highly probably that we could mix the new bikes

as part of our intercessor units.

Based on the look and logic I imagine that they will be T5, 3 wounds, 3+ save and equipped with what looks like to be twin

heavy bolters.

A unit of 10 intercessor could be 5 intercessor (with shields) for 10 ablative wounds with T5

and 5 bikes for 15 wounds T 5 that could potentially ditch 30 heavy bolter shots.

Combined with special ammunition and stratagem that could be the new go to unit combo? 

It was certainly good news to hear that shortly after 9th drops we will be getting something (codex i guess?)  Early codex in new edition isn't always great as its a test run, but I'm sure its better than our current situation so I'll take it happily.

I think though its a bit to early to speculate on if/how these models might combine, as we are even guessing at equipment at this point.  With 3 primaris troop choices (4 if assault intercessors are a troop) its hard to know which units will combine, never mind IF they are even allowed to combine, or what the combined rules might entail, as even a model that doesn't necessarily fit a squad can get a token add in just for a special rule, see the vanguard vet making it into most vet squads. 

Just too little information at present and it would just be wish listing/guessing.  Would happily revisit this topic though when we get more information, as its exciting news for DW.

Edited by GrinNfool

If that is the case wouldn't the new bikes be a carbon copy of Inceptors? I certainly hope that those two units have more distinct profiles and uses other than one can deep strike and the other goes a few inches faster.

But they do look really nice and everything has me pausing all projects so I can figure out which road forward makes sense.

Something I've been thinking about since the Veteran Intercessor strat and the BA update: what if our intercessors get the vet stat bump for a modest point increase? Maybe all the primaris (our bikers have the stat bump compared to reg marines, so there's precedent to Veteran-ize non vet units).

I also agree with the idea of Reivers moving from Fortis to a phobos KT and Fortis now including Assault intercessors, but also, where's hellfuries and bikers going? Maybe there's major reworking with how the KTs are structured. I dunno.

What I find most curious is about us being able to use all the new units in the box (though I assume that won't include the characters). I take it to either mean:

1) GW is changing its stance with not allowing non-separate shoulderpad models from being included in DW

2) the multipart kit release for these new guys is going to be before/at the same time as our new codex and the shoulderpad hang up is still a thing (in which case, we wouldn't get access to eliminators).

If it's really a twin heavy bolter, that's gonna be awkward. I'd rather take regular bikes if that's the case. In a mixed unit, you'd have to plug in an aggressor to move and shoot normal... not horrible since you would still get T5. And also assuming they get twin heavy bolters and retain the biker ability they would normal get, it'll be awkward and inefficient for anything other than a shooty squad. Or a good squad but with a biker? However it works out, those squads are so expensive :/

And your assuming normal intercessors in Deathwatch would be able to just swap current weapons to a Blade Guard loadout. You might be safer to assume they will be their own model that would be included in addition to an intercessor unit or as their own unit (elite maybe? or even Fast attack?).

At this point, I would be content if they were added as they are to Deathwatch. Mixed kill teams would be a bonus. Especially since in 9th they want to move away from CP building priority. Would love to focus on more Vanguard and outriders as they are more efficient, points-wise.

Edited by Mobius0288

And don't forget the new unit hiding in the back left - some sort of melta-looking weapon? Looks like a second "special weapon" option for primaris. Who knows what type it will end up being but now we'll have some D6 close range anti-armor, which is pretty decent as far DW anti-armor options go.

My impression for heavy bolter comes from how large the bike casing is and reminds me a lot the twin heavy bolt casing on land riders (about same size). Also when you look close the details are the feed belt, the exhaust hole being the same design size and position as on heavy bolters. The cannon and aiming reticule are shorter than on primaris boltgun as well. The only thing that is bugging me is that the cannon diameter seems a bit narrow. So to me it either a heavy bolter or some sort of new bolt variant that we dont know about.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks like bolt rifles on the bikes- Primaris tend to get shiny new weaponry, not old stuff , so at the least if it is a heavy bolter equivalent it should be more like an inceptor assault bolter.

I'm really hoping for access to the new stuff from the pictures - sword and board Primaris, melta gravis infantry, the Judicier character, would all be very nice.

Edited by ashc