9th Ed Speculation Thread

I am eager to fling raptors an extra 9” up the board with World Eaters using the pregame strat, I think if I understand correctly the new command phase preserves that option, unless they change the wording on the strat itself.

Yeah, I think Raptors will be another winner in this edition considering the chainsword is getting a buff.

I think this is a rumour based off assault intercessors and a lot of people have jumped to the conclusion that all astartes get astartes chainswords.

The way I expect it to play out, the astartes chainsword is for Primaris cc units. Ofc it is a positive suprise if I am wrong and all chainswords get -1 ap

Yeah, I think Raptors will be another winner in this edition considering the chainsword is getting a buff.

I think this is a rumour based off assault intercessors and a lot of people have jumped to the conclusion that all astartes get astartes chainswords.

The way I expect it to play out, the astartes chainsword is for Primaris cc units. Ofc it is a positive suprise if I am wrong and all chainswords get -1 ap

They have explicitly said that all Astartes imcluding chaos will get improved chainswords.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding where they said it, which means it may have been in their FB team's reply to someone. If that's the case it is iffy if it's true. I do remember seeing something from GW that said all Astartes get it, though.

Edited by Doom Herald

Truly no desire to be pedantic, but all Astartes doesn’t necessarily include heretic Astartes. It probably, almost assuredly does! I just wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t.

It was on the streams that they explicitly said all Astartes get Astartes chainswords. I’m still half expecting chaos to not get it though, because we’re not allowed to have fun with our armies.

They mentioned Astartes Chainswords would be for all Astartes on the first stream about 9th edition I believe. So I'd be surprised if Chaos didn't get it. We got Bolter Discipline as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Edited by Captain Incompetence

In one of their facebook replies they also said that the Astartes Chainswords are only on the new datasheets for the Primaris, so don't hold your breath. They might not errata all the old datasheets, loyalist or traitor, until they release new Codexes.

They mentioned Astartes Chainswords would be for all Astartes on the first stream about 9th edition I believe. So I'd be surprised if Chaos didn't get it. We got Bolter Discipline as well, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah, but it wouldn't be a Chaos forum if we weren't all gloomy about everything ;)

Yeah, but it wouldn't be a Chaos forum if we weren't all gloomy about everything :wink:

Spiteful. The word you're looking for is spiteful. :p

Yeah, but it wouldn't be a Chaos forum if we weren't all gloomy about everything :wink:

Spiteful. The word you're looking for is spiteful. :tongue.:

Potato/tomato.

Lets see what happens with FAQs, this Chainsword issue seems to be stymieing the conversation. lol

I don't think we are going to suck in 9th, I think we are going to suck in comparison to Primaris. That is a weakness every army needs to work around, and we aren't any different. 

We already know for a fact that "new traits" are coming (before comments: this was stated directly by design staff on the stream...), so its not an "all is lost" moment here. 

May be a hard bit until we get a codex however, I would hope that the GW design team sees how they shot primaris "over the moon" in power level, so to speak.  

Lets see what happens with FAQs, this Chainsword issue seems to be stymieing the conversation. lol

I don't think we are going to suck in 9th, I think we are going to suck in comparison to Primaris. That is a weakness every army needs to work around, and we aren't any different. 

We already know for a fact that "new traits" are coming (before comments: this was stated directly by design staff on the stream...), so its not an "all is lost" moment here. 

May be a hard bit until we get a codex however, I would hope that the GW design team sees how they shot primaris "over the moon" in power level, so to speak.  

For some people, hope never dies, lol.

So the CSM points for 9th have been leaked. Not too impressed with it, pretty much in line with what we have now. Cultists once again being more expensive than guardsmen is dissapointing, and 14pt CSM means that they'll most likely still be garbage. However, Obliterators are looking very strong, as are Terminators and perhaps even Havocs will see more play.

So the CSM points for 9th have been leaked. Not too impressed with it, pretty much in line with what we have now. Cultists once again being more expensive than guardsmen is dissapointing, and 14pt CSM means that they'll most likely still be garbage. However, Obliterators are looking very strong, as are Terminators and perhaps even Havocs will see more play.

I have to agree. 75 pt rhino, 14pt CSM, warp talons forget it etc. FW dreads got a points increase for us as well apparently by a lot. Chaos knights also got hosed it looks like for dual gattlings, thermals builds. Bad start for CSM in 9th ed. 

It is all over Youtube, Social Media and content creators so I don't see an issue sharing the link. 

Initial impression is ouch on the troops. Khorne Berzerkers, Terminators and Obliterators make out like bandits. And my beloved havoc launchers on a Rhino which dropped in points. 

Some changes are head scratching. I think in regards to Warp Talons someone mentioned their wargear may be included in profile now as this is a new thing and so in fact dropped in points by 2 overall which would make a lot more sense then the other way around. Don't quote me on it though! 

I'd say overall we're in the middle, but certain lynchpins have gone up significantly higher than average (see the 30pt base increases on winged dp and lord discordant). Some units sneak through well enough though that hopefully we can cover it with the elites (termies, bezerkers, etc)

I don't get all the negativity. Points have been going up for basically everyone. From what I've seen CSM got treated neither better nor worse than most. Pretty much average.

I guess we’ll see once the codex comes out. Cultists being more expensive than guardsmen seems like a fair enough complaint.