9th Ed Speculation Thread

Just thought I would mention, with new SM dex leaks, IF's chapter tactic changed to only ignoring light cover for shooting. So, playing my IW's I look forward to how every piece of cover will now be heavy cover coincidently when we are changed also. :rolleyes:   

Heavy cover doesn't affect shooting, though?

Just thought I would mention, with new SM dex leaks, IF's chapter tactic changed to only ignoring light cover for shooting. So, playing my IW's I look forward to how every piece of cover will now be heavy cover coincidently when we are changed also. :rolleyes:   

In my core group of players (Tau, TSons, Ultramarines) we have already talked about cutting down the amount of ruins and cover we had on the board because they wanted to fight in more open scenarios like deserts or plains. Being the only one who naturally ignores cover, it seemed to be conspicuously only when facing my Iron Warriors. Can also see terrain classification maybe being an issue.

Speaking more broadly, most of the Legion Traits (Night Lords with the new way Morale works especially) need to be worked and they need to apply to all units with the Legion keyword (minus cultists) as well as Infantry, Bikers and Helbrutes. It makes me bitter thinking about how the loyalists have better traits, that apply across all of their models (nevermind the abilities that automatically trigger an auto hitting extra attack when Death to the False Emperor has to be rolled for).

I'd also love to see a list of traits for Renegades, similar to the list of Chapter traits that loyalists could choose from.

Edited by Llagos_Tyrant

With the point increase they got, Cultists should get the Legion Trait too. The lack of create your own warband has been a major gripe for me since Faith and Fury. Other factions tell me Renegade traits replace the build your own for us, but I don't think it's a fair comparison really.

Not a real change, they just tidied up the wording for the new edition there. Before they were ignoring the save modifier from cover when shooting which is essentially the exact same thing as ignoring light cover when shooting just with more words. ;) 

Just thought I would mention, with new SM dex leaks, IF's chapter tactic changed to only ignoring light cover for shooting. So, playing my IW's I look forward to how every piece of cover will now be heavy cover coincidently when we are changed also. :rolleyes:

Not a real change, they just tidied up the wording for the new edition there. Before they were ignoring the save modifier from cover when shooting which is essentially the exact same thing as ignoring light cover when shooting just with more words. ;)

I think what he meant was that when assigning tags to terrain pieces, opponents will now naturally opt for heavy cover instead of light cover when fighting IW/IF.

Just thought I would mention, with new SM dex leaks, IF's chapter tactic changed to only ignoring light cover for shooting. So, playing my IW's I look forward to how every piece of cover will now be heavy cover coincidently when we are changed also. :rolleyes:

Not a real change, they just tidied up the wording for the new edition there. Before they were ignoring the save modifier from cover when shooting which is essentially the exact same thing as ignoring light cover when shooting just with more words. :wink:

I think what he meant was that when assigning tags to terrain pieces, opponents will now naturally opt for heavy cover instead of light cover when fighting IW/IF.

I mean that's just the same as list tailoring and both should have a say in that matter. Ideally terrain should be set up beforehand. I've already seen TOs handing out files with table setups for 9th.

Could go for the ol’ roll-off per terrain piece. The GW suggestion for such scenarios.

Although that is the classic solution, it would leave a bad taste in my mouth if it's mostly players with abilities to ignore light cover who have to roll to determine cover classification in their games.

I'm interested to see what possible units are coming down the line for Chaos Space Marines. We don't get new kits very often, but it seems like there's been one or two new units in 8th edition and the last time I played in 6th?

I'd also love to see a Terminator buff, including for Space Marines. They should really be T 5 in that armour. 2 Wound cult troops and Chosen would be amazing, but I don't know if GW would even consider it. They seem to treat Chaos Space Marines like cultists and daemon engines a lot of the time.

Just don't play with people who abuse stuff like that. There's really absolutely nothing new about it. You don't play with people who write lists explicitly to counter your list, or people who set up boards with little to none LoS blocking terrain when they are playing a gunline type list and so on and on.

Edited by Panzer

I suspect we will see Berzerkers and (maybe) noise marines, but I don't suspect we will see much else. A Chosen kit, even if it doubles as a character upgrade kit, would be amazing and is so long overdue. If anyone gets two wounds on the CSM side, it should be chosen. Fluffwise they are chaos lords in training, larger than normal CSM, and literally chosen by the gods.

Looking at the rare rules in the big rulebook p360 bullet points-

does not receive the benefit of cover to saving throws= ignore light and heavy cover.

does not receive the benefits of cover that imposes a penalty on hit rolls= ignore dense cover.

does not receive the benefits of cover= ignore light cover, heavy cover, dense cover etc. 

Siege Lords for IW's is worded to the first point currently, so we would ignore light and heavy cover, which would help us make a balanced list with some melee. I hope the wording stays the same, that would encourage melee unis in IW's respectively. The IF trait one isn't really a nerf, its basically the same as it was. Its different for IF's because they have ranged in their tactic while IW's do not currently in how to apply it. (ranged attacks vs just attacks). So as I read RAW, IF's will only ignore light cover for their tactic because they can only apply their ignores cover via ranged attacks. 

The IF + IW traits should just be synched to seige lords wording IMO, its already getting too complicated and I just opened the book to check this first.The IW one works out of the box for 9th, the IF one is a mess. If they don't nerf seige lords to mirror IF wording, we got a nice buff in 9th.   

EDIT- Mods, am I breaking the laws these days? Should my post be technically in a catch all confirmed 9th ed CSM thread new topic?, its not speculation anymore? 

*confused iron noises*. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

Question on the Soulburner petard for the Decimator.

There are 3 soulburner weapon options in the Munitorum book:

- Soulburner

- Soulburner Bombard (on the land raider)

- Soulburner Ribaudkin (on the Leviathan)

So, is there any weapon that's just "Soulburner", or is that entry supposed to be the Petard?

Or has the option been removed entirely?

Question on the Soulburner petard for the Decimator.

There are 3 soulburner weapon options in the Munitorum book:

- Soulburner

- Soulburner Bombard (on the land raider)

- Soulburner Ribaudkin (on the Leviathan)

So, is there any weapon that's just "Soulburner", or is that entry supposed to be the Petard?

Or has the option been removed entirely?

Heart was skipping beats, worry not its under daemon bound in the new CA, 60pts, along with decimator 100pts, (looks like went up 10pts I think for deci 90>100). 

Edited by MegaVolt87

After reading the 9th ed rulebook more, I am a big gun shy now with CSM. I'll wait a bit longer before I get anything else for my IW's- I did end up ordering the Typhon though! Just a bit annoyed I re-based all my heavy weapons to 40mm for the havok base change. I hate proxying as well. I only have x6 chaincannons and x6 each of melta/flamer/ plasma to run MSU CSM squads currently, I got a few combi melta guys, but ts not plasma. If I can't find some old heavy weapons in the tower of old SM/CSM storage to refurbish I'll have to think about how to add more HW's, via FW or the old SM dev box. I got so many kitbashed old marines/ mk III's, I'm in too deep to get the new CSM sculpts at this point even if I wanted to. 

Well, since 9th ed has been released now, it's more tactics, questions and guesses than speculation about it in here. 

I'll shut this thread down, but feel free to make new ones to discuss our new tactics in 9th ed. :) 

Glory for chaos!