Crimson Axes updated 6-4, Gravis Captain!

First, some tunes to get you in the mood:

Up until recently I had been working on some silver marines, had about 1000pts complete, and all was fine and good. Never played a game with them, then 9th edition was announced. As many hobbyists will do it was decided that a new army would be started, especially after the tease of those awesome new models for Primaris armies. So I sold said army, and bought new stuff. (My girlfriend was a bit confused. "But you just sold Space Marines?)

I love close combat themed forces, and I love the Executioners, being the son of Dorn and fan of Conan the Barbarian that I am. But I wont be painting the Executioners, no, I am going to be painting one of their successors, the Crimson Axes.

"But Toyship," I hear you say, "They are listed as destroyed in Imperial records." Well, they were. The idea I am running with is this is one of the Ultima Founding chapters that were created to replace an extinct chapter. Working on some fluff ideas in the background...thought it might be cool if they were gifted the original chapter's Fortress Monastery and had to cleanse it of Orks or something.

Anyway, you came here for pics so here ya go:

gallery_13174_16407_627373.jpg

gallery_13174_16407_215370.jpg

Pushed myself on this guy, particularly happy with the damaged leather. The face, not so much. Can't find my drill bit for the barrel, a new one has been ordered.

Waiting on some waterslide paper to print of some squad markings and chapter icon. I am waffling between a couple of axe designs, anyone wanna help me out?

#1: Executioners Axes minus the red shield, axes in red

gallery_13174_16407_832.jpg

#2: Dark Hunters Axe, also in red:

gallery_13174_16407_50271.jpg

#3: Crimson Guard Axes, in red:

gallery_13174_16407_5515.jpg

Really excited to get more done on these guys, bought the Space Wolves Start Collectinng, gonna offload the upgrades for more stuff. Current plans are to have 3x Intercessor squads armed with Auto Bolt Rifles, not sure what the Sergeants will be armed with yet...most likely chainaxes counting as chainswords. I also have the Aggressors from the Start Collecting box, Haldor Icepelt, (who will be cleaned up and turned into a Captain or Lieutenant), the Lieutenant from Wake the Dead, an Impulsor (for the eventual Hellblasters), and the Ancient from Dark Imperium.

Hopefully by the time I have all of that painted the new stuff will be out, as I have a mighty need for the Assault Intercessors and those gorgeous bikes.

Thats enough talk for now, thanks in advance for any comments/criticisms!

Edited by ToyShip

Good looking start on the new army. Also like the narrative dynamic of an extinct chapter being rebuilt from scratch. All that history and tradition, and poof, you and your new primaris brethren have to restart.

I also like the idea of using the Executioner's emblem sans the shield.

Fluff behind the armies we build is a major focal point for me and I def think you have found a fun chapter to expand on as you can definitely make this your own. I'm honestly curious how a chapter in their situation will observe traditions and rituals. Do they find logs and hololiths that may exist and just copy them? Or will they actually look into the history to study and honor it? Do they make up their own? Or do the just eschew it? That's got me hook, line, and sinker.

Also nice to see you putting down more paint and I am even more excited to see what you do for their chapter emblem.

More pics, on a roll!

gallery_13174_16407_58446.jpeg

gallery_13174_16407_3700.jpeg

gallery_13174_16407_49144.jpeg

Just need to build one more assault bolt rifle guy and the Sergeant and the first squad will be done!

++++

Fluff behind the armies we build is a major focal point for me and I def think you have found a fun chapter to expand on as you can definitely make this your own. I'm honestly curious how a chapter in their situation will observe traditions and rituals. Do they find logs and hololiths that may exist and just copy them? Or will they actually look into the history to study and honor it? Do they make up their own? Or do the just eschew it? That's got me hook, line, and sinker.

Also nice to see you putting down more paint and I am even more excited to see what you do for their chapter emblem.

I'm thinking of going with the "acknowledge the former chapter but take their honor into their own hands" thing. Maybe a little ancestor worship? That may be a big part of their beliefs. The noble savage, taking his honor at the end of a blood-soaked axe. Caring nothing for the view of the Emperor as a God, caring nothing for the Reborn Primarch, caring only for the brother who would stand and fight beside him, and for those who fought before him. Those upon whose bones the Imperium was built.

More to come!

The black on the backpack has an edge highlight of Eshin Gray. It’s thinned considerably so that it blends a bit with the black. The black on the shoulder pads isn’t highlighted at all. Figure once the transfers are done they won’t be needed. Thanks for the replies gents!

Update time! Got the decal paper in today, going to try and work on that a bit later in the day. I decided to just use the entire Executioners badge as I think it will look nice against the black background.

In other news, I started working on a Gravis Captain conversion. Not completely sold yet, and I don’t think he’ll be in the 1000pt list, but we’ll see.

gallery_13174_16407_28325.jpeg

Should have more a bit later!

I'm enjoying seeing this grow, I do like the idea of some lost Chapters being reborn anew in the Ultima founding and anything directly related to the Executioners is always a plus in my book. :tu:

That red is super smooth too! As the culture isn't directly tied to the Executioners, will the Crimson Axes be a clean build without trophies and the like?

Cambrius

Gravis Captain looks sweet. I really like when the ‘hood’ is removed off the mini. Looking forward to him getting the crimson axes treatment and seeing you put those transfers to work.