Engine War: What we didn't get

No negatives here, just some thoughts about things that feel left out. I'm really happy with the release, from miniatures to rules. Still, one always wants more, and it's fun to speculate, right?

1) Relics- We don't have any new relics apparently. I was hoping for some extra goodies, as quite honestly our relics are pretty boring. Not sure what it could be though, I mean they'd have to make "replacement" weapons for the models we already have. That being said, some sort of relic to buff a model, or unit, or what not would have been cool.

2) Named Characters- We only have a single character for our faction, the mighty Cawl. That's great, if you play Mars, but I don't. I can't think of any other armies with less named characters. Even Tau got to use Shadowsun in all of their armies. I know the Blackstone guy is awesome, and can go anywhere, but I mean 40K specific character. 

3) Skitarii HQ- I was bummed we didn't get an HQ for the Skitarii. I really thought they would have rolled one out.

4) Something for the Cybernetica Data Smith. I thought for sure they would add some sort of stratagem or ability to the datasmith. Sadly, it looks like nothing and so he'll probably continue to just sit and await a painting for when(if) he's relevant. With my new disinterest in robots I'm not sure I'll get around to it any time soon.

5) Canticle rework- I'm happy for the new Forgeworld canticles, but was really thinking we'd get some more options, or a rework of some of the more underwhelming canticles.

For me it was exotic weapons. We had so much potential but the new flier was again loaded with heavy stubbers. We could have had the main weapons as phosphor, arc, radium or galvanic weapons to make the flier more interesting but it once more got loaded with heavy stubbers. It's not a deal breaker for me at all but it would have been nice to see more variation in the Archaeopter weapon types.

Have to say, our rules are amazing!

But:

- Our Relics still suck

- Some Canticles are rather useless (looking at you Electromancer) and could have needed a rework

- Same with Dogmas. Some of them are just bad, even FW Canticle and Stratagem wont make up for it.

Edited by DeStinyFiSh

+1 hemanista

Lazy pirates too busy enjoying the sun instead of showing me knightly goodness

I really hope we get some fun toys. I’m not often bringing wardens or Hellverins so the leaked previews so far haven’t quite got me on the hook yet

No negatives here, just some thoughts about things that feel left out. I'm really happy with the release, from miniatures to rules. Still, one always wants more, and it's fun to speculate, right?

1) Relics- We don't have any new relics apparently. I was hoping for some extra goodies, as quite honestly our relics are pretty boring. Not sure what it could be though, I mean they'd have to make "replacement" weapons for the models we already have. That being said, some sort of relic to buff a model, or unit, or what not would have been cool.

I agree, but I don't think there is much scope for what hasn't already been done or exists as a rule somewhere else in the faction.

2) Named Characters- We only have a single character for our faction, the mighty Cawl. That's great, if you play Mars, but I don't. I can't think of any other armies with less named characters. Even Tau got to use Shadowsun in all of their armies. I know the Blackstone guy is awesome, and can go anywhere, but I mean 40K specific character. 

I'm surprised Cawl didn't move to "all mechanicus armies but buffs mars the most", like Katakros in AoS - but fluff wise he is fully on his own alegiance so it makes sense. A new one would be nice but ultimately too niche to put the design work in for i think.

3) Skitarii HQ- I was bummed we didn't get an HQ for the Skitarii. I really thought they would have rolled one out.

Again I think this is a fluff thing. Alpha's are the leaders of Skitarii at Squad level, but beyond that I believe it is the Tech-Priests who manage and lead them. I think a nice change would be making Alpha's into two wounds and giving them some cool relics or an ability like the old Doctrina Imperatives :)

4) Something for the Cybernetica Data Smith. I thought for sure they would add some sort of stratagem or ability to the datasmith. Sadly, it looks like nothing and so he'll probably continue to just sit and await a painting for when(if) he's relevant. With my new disinterest in robots I'm not sure I'll get around to it any time soon.

Poor guy can't catch a break - I agree!

5) Canticle rework- I'm happy for the new Forgeworld canticles, but was really thinking we'd get some more options, or a rework of some of the more underwhelming canticles.

Ultimately, the PA books aren't reworking things - just adding to them. I'd hope for this in the 9th ed codex at the earliest.

I'm surprised Cawl didn't move to "all mechanicus armies but buffs mars the most", like Katakros in AoS - but fluff wise he is fully on his own alegiance so it makes sense. A new one would be nice but ultimately too niche to put the design work in for i think.

Again I think this is a fluff thing. 

Not a great fluff thing, in either case.

In the former, Cawl is about as opposed to single-faction as it's possible. Big chunks of the lore have him kicking about with Stygies VIII, :cuss. (Not to mention his transport being mentioned at the same time GW were sticking to their ad mech don't use transports, they walk everywhere nonsense.)

And what's worse, one of the really loveliest and pretty damn cool bits of stuff they introduced for the Ad Mech when the dual books came out?

Ad Mech armies don't have their real commanders on the ground.

Though that's doubly annoying - foremost they introduced Dominus are battle-master-leaders, not the real leader leaders commanding things. (Those guys are in space, or wherever is suitable and low-risk off the tabletop.)

Secondarily, they introduced Cawl as... Archmagos Dominus, but with almost no Dominus-ing lore to boot

Wasted opportunities, IMO.

And whilst I'm super thrilled to see them bouncing off in new directions, and repairing bizarre decisions like ad mech walk everywhere and Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus are TOTALLY separate organisations... it's also less thrilling to see the cyber-baby slip away with the bath acid.

The idea that the Mechanicus' equivalent warlord (i.e. you) was off the table was really cool, I thought! Shame not to have more done with it.

Similarly, whilst the Skitarii being their own organisation - at a big gulf - was quite sad, the feeling of them being distinctive has also been lost a little too.

Not horribly so, but just enough to make me a touch, y'know...

sad beep.

But the new cyberfolk are all pretty cool, and I've a good deal of time for the Skorpius.

Again I think this is a fluff thing. 

Not a great fluff thing, in either case.

In the former, Cawl is about as opposed to single-faction as it's possible. Big chunks of the lore have him kicking about with Stygies VIII, :censored:. (Not to mention his transport being mentioned at the same time GW were sticking to their ad mech don't use transports, they walk everywhere nonsense.)

And what's worse, one of the really loveliest and pretty damn cool bits of stuff they introduced for the Ad Mech when the dual books came out?

Ad Mech armies don't have their real commanders on the ground.

Though that's doubly annoying - foremost they introduced Dominus are battle-master-leaders, not the real leader leaders commanding things. (Those guys are in space, or wherever is suitable and low-risk off the tabletop.)

Secondarily, they introduced Cawl as... Archmagos Dominus, but with almost no Dominus-ing lore to boot

Wasted opportunities, IMO.

And whilst I'm super thrilled to see them bouncing off in new directions, and repairing bizarre decisions like ad mech walk everywhere and Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus are TOTALLY separate organisations... it's also less thrilling to see the cyber-baby slip away with the bath acid.

The idea that the Mechanicus' equivalent warlord (i.e. you) was off the table was really cool, I thought! Shame not to have more done with it.

Similarly, whilst the Skitarii being their own organisation - at a big gulf - was quite sad, the feeling of them being distinctive has also been lost a little too.

Not horribly so, but just enough to make me a touch, y'know...

sad beep.

But the new cyberfolk are all pretty cool, and I've a good deal of time for the Skorpius.

All the new releases were also Skitarii only.

I wish GW would flesh out the Cult Mechanicus aspect of the range, but with all those releases I'm afraid it won't happen for a while now.

There's one hope there - in the intervening furlough time of Nurgle's reign (or it was planned to be done for now, also plausible), someone at FW might have found time and support to perfect Fires of Cyraxis into form in which it could be released in early 9th.

But that's enough fan-fiction from me. ;)

There's one hope there - in the intervening furlough time of Nurgle's reign (or it was planned to be done for now, also plausible), someone at FW might have found time and support to perfect Fires of Cyraxis into form in which it could be released in early 9th.

But that's enough fan-fiction from me. :wink:

Forgeworld is no longer writing rules.

The GW team is handling all the rules now.

We also didn't get anything for the psychic phase (either an unit that can act in this phase or some stratagem/relic/canticle/other to disrupt it).

A lot of people were hoping the Varlian Device would be it, but it ended up being a fluff-only McGuffin.

We also didn't get anything for the psychic phase (either an unit that can act in this phase or some stratagem/relic/canticle/other to disrupt it).

A lot of people were hoping the Varlian Device would be it, but it ended up being a fluff-only McGuffin.

Pretty certain one of the 'multiple choice' warlord traits let you deny psychic stuff? Or did I mishear?

---

And fair enough on the rules, but it applies equally to anyone in a position to write them - getting FW stuff viable in 40k would be welcome and shift stock.

It's just a matter of whether it would impinge on other sales. (And even then, a sale's a sale.)

Honestly what Admech didn't get was reliable, ie non suicidal plasma, mid-range anti-tank (T8+).  While yes we had the Onager, it's not consistent enough to deal with the massed armor a lot of armies can bring to the table.  Which imo is really the only hole Admech has as a whole besides the psychic phase.

I'd have loved to have gotten a Skitarii HQ, but I'm realistic and know they won't give it to us cause it'll probably be too easy to kitbash.

I think some of the major mechanical changes, and changes to existing units in the codex are probably not worth it anyway. Wait til 9th and all the codex rewrites. It'll probably flip things again.

The relics though... wow. I keep going through what we already have and I just default to Autocaduceous. Just so bleak for a faction that prides itself on technical superiority.