If you had to buy a model/unit before the new edition?

Gendo

What would you suggest as a pre 9th edition purchase that is likely to not be useless?

I'll list roughly what I have and thought I can't never have too many Initiates and Neophytes at £45 for a squad (Ini) I rather paint something different, also not into mixing it up with Primaris atm.

Ven Dread with Las, Fist and Flamer has always been one of the best units for me and would love to add to it but I rather wait the new edition before I add multiples to what I have.

2xLRC, 2x Rhino, 1xPredator, 1x Thunderfire cannon, 1x Stormhawk Inter , 2x Pods, 1x Vanguard Vets, 1x Assault Termis, 1x Ven Dread, Every Character, 1x Apothecary.

Edited by Gendo

I reckon Primaris are like Kindles.

Some hate them, some love them, but no matter how much we pretend otherwise we'll all be using them eventually. 

Surrender to the Kindle! :biggrin.:

I don't dislike them but all my troops except maybe one model each Crusade squad have chainswords and even thought I heard about a new melee Primaris I don't want to replace the whole troop part at the moment as I'd like it to be all in one style.

What would you suggest as a pre 9th edition purchase that is likely to not be useless?

Terrain :smile.:

Joking aside, they claim nothing will break, don't they?

I've been out for 2 years and barely remember the rules :) Let's assume nothing will break.

Assault Centurions are pretty awesome. Look up the "ZABDI pattern" conversion from another B&C frater to make them less stubby:

93szpoonvzo31.jpg?width=768&auto=webp&s=

Those are cool! How best to deliver them though?

Edited by Brother Kraskor

Assault Centurions are pretty awesome. Look up the "ZABDI pattern" conversion from another B&C frater to make them less stubby:

93szpoonvzo31.jpg?width=768&auto=webp&s=

Those are cool! How best to deliver them though?

Either a buffed-up LRC, or the "outflank" thing with reserves that they've promised for 9e.

You could also try to shuffle them up the board with Devout Push and Canticle of Hate, but that's kind of a gimmick.

Ouch, that makes it expensive in every way.

At that point what about a Knight Crusader, same cost and about same points but adds much needed shooting to my usual army?

And maybe but the Termis with shields, 3 hammers and 2 claws in the LRC with same buffs? Less points inside the better as I've barely made it past the 1st turn with it in my local group...

You have to give up Doctrines to take a Knight, which IMO isn't worth it. If you want a big shooting platform, I'd rather use a Leviathan and have Duty Eternal.

Spending 260 points on a transport and then skimping on the stuff to put inside it seems silly to me. Those five terminators plus the LRC run you 456 points, compared to 524 for the LRC plus five Centurions (with flamers and hurricane bolters). For a difference of 62 points, you get ten extra wounds, much better combat power, and an enormous amount of shooting. LRCs die pretty easy unbuffed, but with a 4++/5+++ they're quite durable. Still killable considering that armies plan to take down Knights, but unlike a Knight, having your LRC crippled or shot down after one turn of movement doesn't much reduce your damage output, it just means that your opponent spent a whole turn shooting a tank that has already done its job.

Thank you, lot's of stuff I can't remember like Doctrines and such as I only have the main Codex as reference with me.

I like the Centurion idea but because I don't know how much time I have to paint before 9th and games I rather address a big deficiency first which is shooting, the LRC wasn't carrying much value but was one of the few options I had :smile.::smile.:

I never got into FW and I assume it's the Pattern Siege one? Don't need a detachment for it right? And where do I find stats and point costs?

Sorry for the questions, you've been very helpful!

Edit: Found the stats on YT and the detachment answer, points are 285?

Edited by Gendo

The Leviathan's rules are in the Imperial Armor book, but they're releasing updated ones soon(?), so you might just want to go off Battlescribe for now. It's just a Heavy Support choice, so it can go in a regular detachment. The only special requirement is the "Relic" rule, which means that you need to have at least one other non-Relic Heavy Support choice as well. Point cost is 300ish depending on loadout.

Edited by Hymnblade

So of you don't have our special characters those aren't a bad starting place. S5 Assault Intercessors sounds pretty decent for example and would let Grimaldus focus his buffing elsewhere in the army (say on Aggressors or Assault Centurions).

I feel like armor cracking may become more important as the new edition rolls out making stuff like Lascannons more important but that remains to be seen as we go on.

Suppressors are a good fit even with the possibly of Overwatch changes since they shut off Overwatch, and they can threaten a wide range of targets with their Autocannons.

Chaplains are a given, as is an Ancient (since possibly dealing damage in response to being killed is always nice and we can stick the Crusader Helm on him to buff his range).

If you take a lot of Plasma then a Dreadnought for Wisdom of the Ancients isn't a bad fit, but he can also help with lascannons or missile launchers to offset the low number of shots without needing to babysit them with an HQ character.

I might buy another MKIII Tactical box, I really like the MK3 armor and I'm worried about that kit going away. I mainly really like the weapon bits and the heads.

As long as Horus Heresy exists that kit and MkIV are not likely going anywhere since they replaced the original resin offerings for that game.

I might buy another MKIII Tactical box, I really like the MK3 armor and I'm worried about that kit going away. I mainly really like the weapon bits and the heads. 

oh yeah. They are amazing (esp. Mark 3). They look so templar

The Leviathan's rules are in the Imperial Armor book, but they're releasing updated ones soon(?), so you might just want to go off Battlescribe for now. It's just a Heavy Support choice, so it can go in a regular detachment. The only special requirement is the "Relic" rule, which means that you need to have at least one other non-Relic Heavy Support choice as well. Point cost is 300ish depending on loadout.

I was looking forward to order this but FW doesn't take any orders atm :(

Honestly I'd hold off on FW since they're at the front of the list of stuff getting 9th ed updates and may change drastically as we go forward.

My idea was to get some mid and long range shooting platforms to cover my deficiencies but I don't see many good option apart from getting detachments and giving up Doctrines, any idea?  

My idea was to get some mid and long range shooting platforms to cover my deficiencies but I don't see many good option apart from getting detachments and giving up Doctrines, any idea?  

Why not Devastators?

Been stock counting and have those, modelled one of each weapon to use in Crusader Squads if needed, that's why I didn't put them in the list of units I have.

Say I have a Lascannon min squad sitting back, that has the same price as a Predator with 4 Las and 11 wounds.

Centurions in a LRC seems like a great idea and I might start with a kit just to paint something but range is a more pending issue as my Pred was useless most games, either missing every shot or getting blown up :sad.:

My best (and/or reliable) shooting platforms were the Ven Dread with the Las and the Interceptor but I fear adding more as most people consider them not worth it, not sure what to do.

Edit: Redemptor Dreadnought seems pretty good, am I missing something?

Edited by Gendo