If you had to buy a model/unit before the new edition?

Gendo

I'd either grab a Redemptor Dread and kit it out with Storm Bolters and all the Onslaught Gatling Cannons, or get a couple of Venerable Dreadnoughts (you could always get one venerable, one vanilla, and kitbash two venerables so you can run both with dual las and one with a missile launcher).

What is your Interceptor loadout? I have been considering getting one myself, it's fast and pretty tough and can take a lot of anti-tank. Better run as a pair too I reckon, for redundancy and threat saturation.

What is your Interceptor loadout? I have been considering getting one myself, it's fast and pretty tough and can take a lot of anti-tank. Better run as a pair too I reckon, for redundancy and threat saturation.

Icarus and LasTalon I think, a mix of both AA and ground attacks which is very versatile should you lack AA options. You get to zip about and pick on units and unless I got charged I never lost one.

Also the model looks great in BT colours imo, got a pic in my gallery.

I think one is enough but I'm no pro, one doesn't seem to be perceived as a threat even thought it is, two of them will become one and shot down, on top of that meeting the movement requirements as a pair would be hard I'd think as the base is large and movement restricted.

Edit: LasTalon and SkyHammer.

Edited by Gendo

I'd either grab a Redemptor Dread and kit it out with Storm Bolters and all the Onslaught Gatling Cannons, or get a couple of Venerable Dreadnoughts (you could always get one venerable, one vanilla, and kitbash two venerables so you can run both with dual las and one with a missile launcher).

This thread got the hobby (and memory) in me flowing back:) I think those are good options and will add them to my next order! Just got the Centurions now and I think all together will make for a nice Zealous force!

Do you mean 3 Ven Dreads in total? I have one already.

Edited by Gendo

Terminator chaplain. Chaplain dreadnought.

Will get the Terminator when back in stock, never enough Chaplains. I wish I could buy the Dreadnought as it's one of my favourite models.

-Bought the Redemptor as well, Macro Plasma seems pretty decent AT with good range plus onslaught and Icarus for some versatile AA, it doesn't lose the Fist either. All weapons do only 1 Damage each. (217pts)

-The Ven Dread is always reliable with 2+ WS and durable with self healing but not the most cost efficient way to have 2 Las, Missile Launcher for 25pts is a good option but you lose the  Fist's combat insurance. Maybe good as secondary shooty platform as it's not that expensive. (140-165pts)

-Centurion Devs have two Las each and 1 decent Centurion Missile but only 3 wounds and take an Heavy slot. Expensive for even just 3 models. (315pts)

-Predator seems like the best value with 4 Las and 11 Wounds, it only does one thing but with the new vehicle rules could be worth it. If everything else fails I might build up to 3 with some reroll aura and :cuss it. (190pts)

-Leviathan seems durable with lots of Damage output but not the best range, it also loses the Fist which at those ranges isn't great. (325pts)

Seems like the Redemptor plus either Venerable or Predator is a good choice not counting the Interceptor which shoots decently too. 

If you're willing to go Forge World, the best long-range anti-tank platform for Marines is a Contemptor Mortis dreadnought with two twin lascannons. It actually costs less than a quad-las Predator somehow, gets the same number of shots with an extra point of BS, and has a 5++ and Duty Eternal.

If you're willing to go Forge World, the best long-range anti-tank platform for Marines is a Contemptor Mortis dreadnought with two twin lascannons. It actually costs less than a quad-las Predator somehow, gets the same number of shots with an extra point of BS, and has a 5++ and Duty Eternal.

It costs less in 8th. GW is cranking up points costs gamewide in 9th so no idea what'll happen.

Though I did just have an amusing thought of charging a predator into an enemy tank, then shooting them point blank with lascannons in melee and driving over the slagged remains.....

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind when the new edition is out, might need to cover that ugly brother with a bin bag if I want to use it :)

I only see Contemptor and Relic Contemptor, is the Mortis just a ruleset for it?

It costs less in 8th. GW is cranking up points costs gamewide in 9th so no idea what'll happen.

Though I did just have an amusing thought of charging a predator into an enemy tank, then shooting them point blank with lascannons in melee and driving over the slagged remains.....

I was toying with Battlescribe and noticed points went down since vanilla 8th plus lots of new stuff like Relics, Litanies and deny the witch on Grimaldus. I regret not sticking around and hopefully 9th wont go backwards.

Points are confirmed to be going up game wide. We just don't know exactly how much.

3k is likely the new 2k though.

SOURCE: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/03/warhammer-40000-matched-play-points-and-an-appgw-homepage-post-1/

Edited by Fulkes

Contemptor Mortis is under the Heavy Support slot instead of Elites. You can do the same thing with a Relic Contemptor, paying a few extra points for two extra wounds, a 2+ save, and a 6+++.

And yeah, point costs are going to change with 9th, so who knows if it'll still be cheaper than a Predator.

Contemptor Mortis is under the Heavy Support slot instead of Elites. You can do the same thing with a Relic Contemptor, paying a few extra points for two extra wounds, a 2+ save, and a 6+++.

And yeah, point costs are going to change with 9th, so who knows if it'll still be cheaper than a Predator.

I meant the Mortis isn't in the FW website.

Regarding the Assault Centurions, I assume Melta and Launchers? In a LRC with Helbrecht?

Hurricane bolters. 12 shots per Centurion beats a single Mortal wound.

Regarding the Assault Centurions, I assume Melta and Launchers? In a LRC with Helbrecht?

Even when going against tough models and starting with 3 Centurions? I still got the LRC behind with bolters.

Edited by Gendo

Even when going against tough models and starting with 3 Centurions? I still got the LRC behind with bolters.

You kill tough models in melee, but weight of dice (36 shots) will take stuff out regardless of how tough it is. Plus it keeps the unit more universally flexible against a wider range of targets.

Plus 36 bolter shots can do more wounds than the max of 3 mortal wounds. Don't forget that those bolters jump to -1AP in the tactical doctrine.

Edited by Fulkes