Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orks in 9th (Discussion/Speculation)

Orks 9th Edition

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,712 posts
  • Faction: Summoners

Is it likely you'll see more Boyz in trucks instead of large mobs?

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,561 posts

DA JUMP!

banana

Kaldoth

Kaldoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,908 posts
I'm honestly fine with needing to roll the right number against multiple targets. It always felt super game-y declaring multiple targets as a best case scenario kind of thing
  • Kierdale likes this

toaae

toaae

++ SECURIFER VIRIDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,581 posts
  • Faction: Orks, SoB, Necrons, BA

The Ork faction focus article is up.

All told, it's really just a filler article. They do reveal that the Magatrakk's main weapon is a Blast weapon, and that there is a terrain trait for -1 to-hit, but other than that, nothing new.

• Triszin likes this

WAAAGH!!! Tortoof, a WiP thread (updated: 7/12/20) ||| Order of the Penitent Saint: A Project Thread (updated: 6/7/2020)
[IG 2020]Index Imperialis: Order of the Penitent Saint // IA: Dune Vipers (WiP; updated: 10/17/19, v.1) // [IG 2020]Index Xenos: WAAAGH!!! Tortoof (WiP; updated: 5/10/2020)
ETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_48988_15465_18945.pnggallery_48988_15738_35057.pnggallery_48988_15738_9905.pnggallery_48988_15094_4650.pnggallery_48988_15094_17417.png
(click on the images to see my vows!)

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,655 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

Did new Morale just make Mob rule better?

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

adreal

adreal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 335 posts

Did new Morale just make Mob rule better?

I think the new morale rules are a net gain for any horde type unit. Orks with mob rule are better

toaae

toaae

++ SECURIFER VIRIDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,581 posts

The new morale is also great for Grots. Before, if your 10 gretchin suffered 7 casualties, the other three were guaranteed to run away. Now, there's a chance you auto-pass, and even if you fail, you might still have a grot or two hanging around.

As for Orks and mob rule, there's a break point based on casualties taken and unit size when it comes to if combat attrition is worse or better. Overall, I definitely think it's a boost, but it is possible to have a worst case scenario where you take 13 casualties, roll a 5-6 on morale, and then roll a bunch of 1s for combat attrition. But the flipside is that if the unit takes a bunch of deaths, like 23, instead of being auto-wiped, you'll have that chance at auto-pass and then a very good chance at least one Boy survives for Green Tide.

• Triszin and Kierdale like this

WAAAGH!!! Tortoof, a WiP thread (updated: 7/12/20) ||| Order of the Penitent Saint: A Project Thread (updated: 6/7/2020)
[IG 2020]Index Imperialis: Order of the Penitent Saint // IA: Dune Vipers (WiP; updated: 10/17/19, v.1) // [IG 2020]Index Xenos: WAAAGH!!! Tortoof (WiP; updated: 5/10/2020)
ETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_48988_15465_18945.pnggallery_48988_15738_35057.pnggallery_48988_15738_9905.pnggallery_48988_15094_4650.pnggallery_48988_15094_17417.png

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,655 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

Thoughts on the new Close Combat rules? 

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Kaldoth

Kaldoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,908 posts
The list of all blast weapons for 9th was leaked. Orks are getting Blast added to:

Brogg's Buzzbomb
Bubble Chukka
Burna Bottles
Da Boomer
Da Souped Up Shokka
Deffkannon
Grotzooka
Heavy Squig Launcha
Cannon
Killkannon
Kustom Mega Kannon
Kustom Mega Zappa
Lobba
Rokkit Kannon
Shokk Attack Gun
Skorcha Missiles
Smasha Gun
Squig Launcha
Stikkbomb
Stikkbomb Chukka
Stikkbomb Flinga
Supa Rokkit
Tankbusta Bomb
Wazbom Mega Kannon

Grotzookas are good again!
  • Ilgoth likes this

toaae

toaae

++ SECURIFER VIRIDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,581 posts

Thoughts on the new Close Combat rules? 

Overall, I think melee is weaker than it was in 8th. I don't think that means it's necessarily worse off, but just as a comparison to how it played. I expect we'll see a new style emerge. 8th was dependent on the Wrap-and-Trap. Maybe 9th will emerge with something else. My guess is durable melee units will be the go-to. We don't really have that, unless 30 meganobz becomes the "it" build. But I feel safe saying melee in 9th will be much different than in 8th.

Grotzookas are good again!

They got a HUGE boost, with vehicles not suffering -1 to-hit on heavy weapons and then the blast rule. I fear they may end up getting a sky-high price, though. We'll have to wait and see.

adreal

adreal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 335 posts
Points I feel will be the main factor in how good orks are in melee v shooting, terrain, if you play on ITC tables, will be your friend, if not, well, I doubt you'll see a change.

Also we have to factor in mission secondaries, as some may be easier to get with hordes of boys for example.

The overall lack of overwatch, the penalties for falling back (not shooting) is a boon for sure, the smaller engagment range will hurt (especially if your still on 25mm) as will having to reach everything you declared.

I was at a 1 day tournie on Saturday and took note of how many multi charges I pulled off, with positioning and ere we go, it wasn't too bad, and if ere we go doesnt change (ie we can reroll 1 or both dice) then we should be okay
  • toaae likes this

Akrim

Akrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,170 posts

Ive had a few 9th games with my Orks so far...

Ive found the smaller table dimensions to be pretty significant, its much easier to pin opposing armies in their zone or force them to advance - either way is good for us.

Battlewagons/Bonebreakas are much more survivable with obscuring terrain. Squig-hide tyres Kustom Job can get the turn 1 charge regardless.

Im looking forward to it, Orks seem good (so far).

• Kierdale and Ilgoth like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orks, 9th Edition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users