Grey Knights Smash Captain?

Excuse me?

Allowed*

The OP wants to know if it is possible for a "smash Captain" build to be done within the GK faction and if so, how is it done. If not, what alternatives do you have bar Draigo?

Yeah, my bad. It always happens to me when it's early in the morning.

No harm done, it happens to all of us :)

Hopefully some of the more experience GK Frater will have an answer for you :)

If you mean that if a GK BC can be equipped with a thunder-hammer? Yes. Giving him the Destroyer of Cry'sallix would make him 4 damage a pop, but there are better relic options. As for alternatives to Draigo, Voldus springs to mind. 

Another consideration is while not technically a "smash" captain, we have a "smash" apothecary. Dynamic Insertion + Powerful Adept stratagem, and in the psychic phase cast inner fire. Roll a dice for the number of that psychic test was. So if you rolled a 11, roll 11 dice. Now here comes the beauty. For every 4+, your target takes 1 mortal wound, and on a 1, you take a mortal wound. Because they are mortal wounds, invuln saves don't work. Then heal up your own apothecary, if he's still alive next turn. Equip your apothecary with a thunder-hammer for maximum carnage. Another consideration (and I'm not sure whether this would work) is you could give him the relic to re-roll the psychic test result, but at that time you could be seen as "that guy".

Why do you ask, though?

Edited by Skywrath

If you mean that if a GK BC can be equipped with a thunder-hammer? Yes. Giving him the Destroyer of Cry'sallix would make him 4 damage a pop, but there are better relic options. What I'm curious about, is why do you ask? (in the nicest way possible).

I was just thinking about what kit bashes i could do, then thought of some cool GK one (with pretty much a Smash Captain loadout), then i was thinking if i could use the model in an actual game.

If you mean that if a GK BC can be equipped with a thunder-hammer? Yes. Giving him the Destroyer of Cry'sallix would make him 4 damage a pop, but there are better relic options. What I'm curious about, is why do you ask? (in the nicest way possible).

I was just thinking about what kit bashes i could do, then thought of some cool GK one (with pretty much a Smash Captain loadout), then i was thinking if i could use the model in an actual game.

I edited my previous statement with an alternative, take a look (The "smash" apothecary). :smile.:

Besides Draigo and the Librarian, in a traditional smash captain, no-one in the GK can use a Storm Shield. As for conversion ideas, you might be at a loss, as (well this is from my overly conservative GW store), you would want someone with Aegis armor. Closest thing that fits that description is the Deathwatch. I'll have a look around and shoot some ideas later, the GW store seems to be down at the moment. Personally, I'm toying with the idea of whether a Deathwatch Watch captain would work as a brother-captain substitute, but discarded that idea, as that model isn't in terminator armor, which is a prerequisite of deep-strike. Many rips..

Edited by Skywrath

makes sense that GK's can't have a SS. 

How do you figure?

Also, another thing worth mentioning, having a "smash" captain might actually be a bad idea. Seeing how our BC extends the range of smite, you'd want him alive most of the game. If you want a BC with a demon hammer, then you might as well take two captains. The smash apothecary is a better idea in every scenario, imo. 

Edited by Skywrath

"How do you figure?" 

Well... Imagine a five man paladin Squad with Storm Shields.

Thought as much, just thought there might be more to it than that. And technically speaking if you give a paladin squad a warding stave, and heed the prognosticars, there is your 4+ invuln already. Either way, pretty what I wrote is your best bet.

Edited by Skywrath

You see, the point of smash captain is that is is fast (jump pack, deep strike), survivable (3++ at least) and deadly (lots and lots of attacks). This is especially true for blood angel ones, which can charge 3d6 and deny overwatch. 

Skywrath is corret, the closest things we can get are Draigo or Voldus, but they are not even remotely close. They can be both deadly and survivable, especially draigo, but won't reach acutal combat with core targets before turn 3 or even 4 in most cases. 

So, in short, no. GK cannot have Smash Captains, unless taken as ally at the cost of Masters of the Warp which is absolutely not worth it, IMO.

On the topic of conversions - you can take interceptor justicar, give him hammer, some decorations and storm shield from another kit. You can use it as a proxy space marine or blood angels smash captain. 

You see, the point of smash captain is that is is fast (jump pack, deep strike), survivable (3++ at least) and deadly (lots and lots of attacks). This is especially true for blood angel ones, which can charge 3d6 and deny overwatch. 

Skywrath is corret, the closest things we can get are Draigo or Voldus, but they are not even remotely close. They can be both deadly and survivable, especially draigo, but won't reach acutal combat with core targets before turn 3 or even 4 in most cases.

So, in short, no. GK cannot have Smash Captains, unless taken as ally at the cost of Masters of the Warp which is absolutely not worth it, IMO.

On the topic of conversions - you can take interceptor justicar, give him hammer, some decorations and storm shield from another kit. You can use it as a proxy space marine or blood angels smash captain. 

Start on table and Gate of Infinity 1st turn followed by an extremely lucky 9 to charge?

You aren't going to gate 9" away from the target, just 9" away from their screens, so that wouldn't work.

This, followed by inglorious death. It is just not worth it.

Well, if I were to play devil's advocate for a moment here, everything except Paladins ;P

Edited by Skywrath

Smash Grand Master (almost)

Cuirass of sacrifice 5+ FNP

Nemesis Lord +1D

Inner Fire

Armoured resilience

Warding Stave

Drop him in with Dynamic Insertion, throw on Powerful adept and (if you have CP to spare) Empyric Surge

Cast Inner Fire with +2 to dice roll failing only on a roll of snake eyes and getting possibly 14 rolls at the other end of the scale.

Cast Armoured resilience for -1 to wound rolls on attacks against him until your next psychic phase.

Shoot with whatever ranged weapon you give him (psycannon or psilecer with Tide of Convergence on?) - BS 2+ rerolling 1s

Then suck up a round of psychic, shooting and melee from your opponent with a 2+, 4++ (3++ in melee), 5+++ with -1 to their wound rolls.

Return melee (if still alive) with 6A @ S6  AP-1, D d3+1 - WS 2+ rerolling 1s

Edited by casb1965

Cuirass of sacrifice 5+ FNP

Nemesis Lord +1D

Inner Fire

Armoured resilience

Warding Stave

Drop him in with Dynamic Insertion, throw on Powerful adept and (if you have CP to spare) Empyric Surge

Cast Inner Fire with +2 to dice roll failing only on a roll of snake eyes and getting possibly 14 rolls at the other end of the scale.

Cast Armoured resilience for -1 to wound rolls on attacks against him until your next psychic phase.

Shoot with whatever ranged weapon you give him (psycannon or psilecer with Tide of Convergence on?) - BS 2+ rerolling 1s

Then suck up a round of psychic, shooting and melee from your opponent with a 2+, 4++ (3++ in melee), 5+++ with -1 to their wound rolls.

Why not go all out and give him a thunder-hammer instead? Would work much better.

Cuirass of sacrifice 5+ FNP

Nemesis Lord +1D

Inner Fire

Armoured resilience

Warding Stave

Well, unfortunately more like Smash Grand Master (not even close). First of all, Grandmaster knows 2 powers, but can manifest only one, so you have to give him Lore Master instead of Nemesis Lord. Second, nemesis lord+anything but hammer is a waste. It is the same as giving actual smash-cap a powersword instead of hammer. You won't kill anything special with this weapon. Third, trying to make survive inner fire bomb is a waste in 90% cases. You can simply roll 5 ones and save non of them. Getting Cuirass or other relic somewhere else will 100% give you more. Fourth, singe psycannon even with tide of convergence won't yield you much. It may kill a squishy character, but I cannot think of a matchup where it would be a good trade off. Finally, 2+, 4++, 5+++ even with -1 to-wound won't scare anyone. When you have a lone character, he will be just focused and be brought down. Even so, I would take apothecary with stave instead. At least, you will lose only 76 points and, if you are lucky, survive a turn to tie something important. Still, this tactics has nothing to do with smash captains. 

The best thing we can do in terms of damage is Grand Master with Hammer+Augurium Scrolls+Nemesis Lord+Hammerhand+Tide of Fury. Even better if Banner is around. In terms of survivability - Grandmaster with Stave+Cuirass of Sacrifice+Armored Resilience+Heed the Prognosticars. But I won't call any of them being close to smashcap.