9th and Custodes

So here we have real trickles of info now.

First: all points adjusted up

Now in a 2k game that could mean the difference of 1 or at worse a couple of bodies lost off the table. The hope here being Custodes lose less bodies than other armies do to help us swing back into the game a bit.

Next command points: typically 2k games will probably be most popular sitting us with 12 starting command points.

This is a huge deal as I almost never came close to that as a mono custodes list. Idk how buying force orgs or detachments will work but since we are one of the best armies for slotting all of our units into a single force or (since we don't have points to manipulate that many different versions) it could be a great chance for us to bring units in that can do more with the points.

Secondary objectives: the prime example given with the 4 pillars is absolutely trash for us. Dedicating a unit to siphoning is terrible use of our tiny forces actions unless we are baiting people to come to us. There could be strategy here where we force the strongest units to come to us to stop us completing the objectives.

That's most of the relevant stuff for now that I have. Thoughts?

I have only played one match with my custodes since I built and painted them...hammered by tau well and truly shot off the board. So hopefully we don't go up too much otherwise it will make matters worse..

Perhaps they will make us a bit tougher and/or give us some stronger shooting?

I have only played one match with my custodes since I built and painted them...hammered by tau well and truly shot off the board. So hopefully we don't go up too much otherwise it will make matters worse..

Perhaps they will make us a bit tougher and/or give us some stronger shooting?

Yeah, doesn't help Tau is probably our worst matchup.

Still, i share the hope that our points increase like...5%...and most other armies are going up 10-20%, which would mean our forces will more or less remain intact. We're pretty over-priced as is.

That new make me happy to have put on hold any purchase before the V9 release. But i would be not surprised they increase every unit cost by 10/20%, regardless of the original cost and/or the fact a army is a elite one or a horde one :/

Limited information so far

However the additional cp will be a nice boost

As well as mission selection

Confirmed PA is designed to work in 9th so hopefully good shot in the arm there

I'm overall optimistic for Custodes in 9th

Especially if the points adjustments are tailored to each army faction

I really wish that GW in 9th will give us some more models. Similiar to ad mech, like a new tank (in plastic), a flyer and some new transport. And at the same time make us feel stronger, like several of your suggestions. Make us survial more, make us shoot more (spear with rapid fire 2) etc

I tend to avoid FW, would love some 40k versions of stuff, but I know its expecting too much.

Gotta buy a land raider.

Unless raiders drastically increase in survivability...I don't see them being useful at all? None of the rules previewed make Custodes land raiders any more viable.

Land Raiders look super cool though. I love the hover tanks, but there will always be room for treads in my army!

I'm hoping that the combined Talons rules will give the Sisters of Silence squads access to Land Raiders too, and maybe Razorbacks as that would be pretty useful.

I had a thought the other day (pure speculation); what is we see mechanics similar to Crusader squads in the SM codex? I think units made up of both Sisters and Custodes like in the fluff would be super cool, despite the problems for unit toughness it would generate.

I have a land raider and in my gaming group it works very well. It´s hard to kill and it shoot very hard. High on point but I think it can be worth it. So far the new rules will help it. At the same time, some new pure anti-tank veichle in plastic från GW would be fun.

I seriously feel like I am missing something. What is this about land raiders that has changed that would make them worth taking?

Legit it was even voted one of the absolute worst units of all codex for 8th. Like top 4.

It's 4 Las cannon shots for ludicrous points.

Just because it can now fire las cannons into whatever meat shield smashes into it?

When i see DG teaser, i can't wait to see what Custodes gonna get, that sound really good so far. My issue would be about vehicule, since Custodes have few models and are mostly melee beasts, how to deal without dying to any big tank who could shoot us to death even in melee