9th and Custodes

It's good to hear they're still good. I do think it's interesting that the Deathwatch watch master now head a vigilis spear instead of a guardian spear. It has the same stat line as the guardian spear. I wonder if that means a change to guardian spears might come in the future codex.

Anyone know how we deal with silent king?

His 3 wounds a phase and regeneration...are problematic.

Just ignoring him is a thought? Dunno. Saw the topic on reddit made me wonder if anyone else here had thought of something.

Is that rule similar to Gaz? Where he can only take 3 wounds a phase? I haven't seen the data sheet, but I heard he has 16 wounds. If so, that does sound a bit ridiculous.

Anyone know how we deal with silent king?

His 3 wounds a phase and regeneration...are problematic.

Just ignoring him is a thought? Dunno. Saw the topic on reddit made me wonder if anyone else here had thought of something.

Is that rule similar to Gaz? Where he can only take 3 wounds a phase? I haven't seen the data sheet, but I heard he has 16 wounds. If so, that does sound a bit ridiculous.

Yes much like Gaz but even tougher as he is simply more durable in every way from my reading of the rules for him.

Correct, the silent king does not have a damage per phase cap, the shards do. But I believe the Nightbringer has a melee attack that ignores both invulns and FNP. That in conjunction with its large mortal wound output outside of the psychic phase is going to make it a nightmare for Custodes to face. It might be able to tear through half or more of the army by itself, especially with Necrons having access to ways to make Custodes fight last.

And then there is this:
Deathwing knights now have 3 wounds.
Hit on 2's, can only be wounded on a 4+, have weapons with strength 8 -2 ap and flat 3 damage.
4+ invulnerable saves with 2+ armour saves ignoring -1 AP.
On top of doctrines and shock assault all for 47 points.
When a custode has less than that for 2 more points

they also have two other rules and this really hurts because it should have been custodes how get those rules:
Once per battle, this unit can attempt to Deny the Witch as if it were a Psyker. If the model attempting to manifest the psychic power is a Chaos Psyker, you can re-roll that Deny the Witch test.

Each time a Morale test is taken for this unit, it is automatically passed.

I really don't know how this was approved by the play testers.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew. Well we are along with all our models still intact for the compendium.

Not sure how many tweaks or changes we are expecting but hopefully a massive overhaul to weapons profiles for every unit in the book for Custodes. I don't think besides the pistols on Venturi and the lastrum storm bolters, there isn't a single profile that matches up with what marines have access to in higher volume and cheaper.

Whew. Well we are along with all our models still intact for the compendium.

Not sure how many tweaks or changes we are expecting but hopefully a massive overhaul to weapons profiles for every unit in the book for Custodes. I don't think besides the pistols on Venturi and the lastrum storm bolters, there isn't a single profile that matches up with what marines have access to in higher volume and cheaper.

Spiculus and bolt cannons at D2 wooooooould be pretty nice.

Along with some arachnus tweaks given just how much AT is basically min 3 damage now.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Looking over the compendium today:

Obvious stuff:

-Dreads get -1DMG

-Flamers are all 12" now (except pikes, see below)

-Contemptors are 9W now

-Powerfists going D2

Not so obvious:

-Firepikes are 15" now

-Sag guards basic gun shots are D2 now.

-Venatari are 2+ instead of 3+, which is nice.

Mild point drops across the board, big vehicles saw biggest drops (Not huge though, like, 15-20 usually, each)

Everything else seems to be exactly the same for now, literally the same. S, shots, AP, etc...

Guardians are the same stat profile & lastrums aren't D2 *sad trombone*

Any game changers for the Telemon?

No "Core" keyword, but gets +1 attack per fist. So with eternal penitent, 6 fistings hitting on 2+ and wounding almost everything in the game on 2+ with D4 is still good stuff. All the more reason to rock only one fist and a gun arm.

Got a points drop.

This keeps galatus at literally the weakest str cc dread in the game. So strange.

Especially since that's not how it is in 30k, remotely. It's a S16 (S8 x 2, normal dread stuff) in 30k.

Same concept in apocalypse too. It wounds equally or better than most other dreads.

Is he worth taking as is? Gosh I wish we could take dreads in groups like carnifex.

This keeps galatus at literally the weakest str cc dread in the game. So strange.

Especially since that's not how it is in 30k, remotely. It's a S16 (S8 x 2, normal dread stuff) in 30k.

Same concept in apocalypse too. It wounds equally or better than most other dreads.

Is he worth taking as is? Gosh I wish we could take dreads in groups like carnifex.

I find him good in Dread Host with Penitent ancient.  He'll beat up most things you point him at on a charge short of T8 stuff, and you're "risking it" with anything T7.  But if you've got some inf to grind (especially SM gravis-equivalent) he does wonders, and has done wonders for me there.

I've used him + a telemon (also with penitent ancient) + Allarus termis to great effect in two games now with the dread host strat. (usually refunding said strat CP cost with Trajaan)

Point the telemon at the scariest big thing to punch, Galatus at scariest inf/anything T6 or less, and the termies as point grabbers/inf killers.

The Galatus being one less wound now (And with duty eternal) so he doesn't bracket, I'm actually stoked about. Means that he won't catch two stray thunderhammers and then suddenly just turn into hot garbage not able to catch up to anything he wants to kill.

• 5 weeks later...

If I’ve got the correct stats, Sagittarum basically rocking an new heavy bolter rules is nice, especially when it’s assault in their hands rather than heavy. I like that the caliver is basically like shooting a combo weapon too.

What are the Venatari changes now? I’m tempted to get some, think they’re very cool models

If I’ve got the correct stats, Sagittarum basically rocking an new heavy bolter rules is nice, especially when it’s assault in their hands rather than heavy. I like that the caliver is basically like shooting a combo weapon too.

What are the Venatari changes now? I’m tempted to get some, think they’re very cool models

Buckler improved to just give a 2+ save. Lance improved in cc as well to grant +1 attack and it's flat damage 2 now.

I am still bummed I can't run a unit of 9 of them. What a murder all that would be.