9th and Custodes

One thing the plastics have over Aquilons is stratagem support (although with GW redoing the FW books maybe that won't last). In particular, wardens have the 3+ deny, and allarus can snipe characters. Whether that's enough to be worthwhile remains to be seen, but it's not all bad news for mainline stuff

Still going with axes for the wardens ?

Depends. If you have a big allarus unit, then it might be worth having spear wardens so that you can use each stratagem (ap for allarus, +wound for wardens).

Have 10 x Wardens, started painting them this week, 6 x Allurus and 3 x Aquilon. So, kinda have to pick a poison here. Was going to use axes on the wardens.....may have to think about this. 

Edited by Constantine Trajanus Ultor

The largest challenge for the T’au Empire in the new edition is the change to the Fly keyword. It no longer offers units the ability to Fall Back and shoot, which means you need to put extra effort into screening enemy charges and preventing your critical shooting units from being engaged in combat.

Now i get why bikes wont be good in 9th... now i really hope the don't nerf our FW stuff too much.

The largest challenge for the T’au Empire in the new edition is the change to the Fly keyword. It no longer offers units the ability to Fall Back and shoot, which means you need to put extra effort into screening enemy charges and preventing your critical shooting units from being engaged in combat.

Now i get why bikes wont be good in 9th... now i really hope the don't nerf our FW stuff too much.

Even with that, i feel like bikes gonna be still a strong choice for custodes, maybe not auto include anymore but still strong

Bikes remain valid on the basis of high mobility and high volume of fire in an army that lacks both, barring certain FW units. All-bike armies might become a rarer sight tho, which I don't consider a bad thing. Those armies are considered boring to play against by most players. And people go nuts in the Tau thread, how boring it is to play against them. Heck, they have a bit more variation than some of those go-to Custodes lists of the past 2 years.

Anyways, bikes will be fine. Now let us see, what else has changed and maybe roll out some new units for the Custodes so that they can at least be mobile and choppy, not just choppy. :)

Allarus (heck any terminator in the game for that matter) have always been a go to for me. The simple 1-2 defensive combo of not wounding on a 4+, and denying re-rolls in any phase, combined with the smaller boards make me very excited for that.

I always used the Vexillus TP strat... but this combined with Dread Host enables Moiraides from deepstrike. I just feel it sets up the start of 9th for a return to 'fun' for those heroic units we all liked to play. Ever since I started 40K (a very long time ago), I've always tried to force that Terminator 'heroic' feel into the army, but it was a rarity work.

I am still very much going to try to keep at 1, if not 2 Telemon's in the army. (Especially if the 1/2 damage strat doesn't get nerfed.) The bigger base has always made feel like the re-roll 1's aura strat has been clutch in some games where things get discombobulated through assaults.

My only really big worry is the point climbing. The army -still- feels over pointed to me to this day.

Well for better or worse today is my first game of 9th using the Custodes with PA rules. Wish me luck. Went back to Dread Host for the Allarus love. 

Going to try a squad of SoS too. Just for fun, and an assassin. 

It will be more like a game of 8.5 but many new core rules will be in place. 

Let us know how it goes... though there are likely more changes in the pipeline I'm sure it will be fairly close.

I'm liking Custodes now. Jetbikes can avoid line of sight more, survive to get into combat and Custodes teleporting in won't necessarily be shot to death by entire armies now.

Terminators are looking to be the new hotness regarding deathstars. They will be hard to kill and depending on your Shield Host you can even get into close combat a lot easier from turn 2 onwards.

I have a feeling most Custodes lists are going to revolve around a large squad of terminators, or bikes. 'The Emperor's Auspice' is in the running for one of the most powerful stratagems in the game at 2cp....turning off any and all rerolls against a unit for that critical shooting phase? Sign me up.

That and my 2 telemon dreadnaughts are loving the new strats. I can't wait to get them in the field.

I like big terminators units, they are like some of my fav models in almost all the faction i ever wanted to play ^^

Thing is, if everyone start revolving around them and they became too powerfull, we can expect nerfs, and i guess we all know how hard a GW nerf can be. And if everyone gonna play dread ost, im afraid they gonna nerf that too.

I want to field so many stuff but that cost so many points ><

Would it be worth to field two telemon, one with fist and autocanon and the second one with two autocanon ? For both melee and range threat ?

Edited by Maouw

See, that's why I prefer a variation of units instead of one trick pony lists. Especially outside of WaaC play. 1st, it's more fun for your opponent, 2nd it's more fun for you as you get to roll out more toys and 3rd it looks a helluva lot cooler. :) Variety is the spice of life, they say, and the same has always applied to my army lists. 

I might not win every game and sometimes not even a lot of games (and sometimes I'll be a bit miffed about it^^), but overall, a gleaming host of terminators, guardians, some bikes and maybe even a tank helps with the visual spectacle a lot. :)

I like big terminators units, they are like some of my fav models in almost all the faction i ever wanted to play ^^

Thing is, if everyone start revolving around them and they became too powerfull, we can expect nerfs, and i guess we all know how hard a GW nerf can be. And if everyone gonna play dread ost, im afraid they gonna nerf that too.

I want to field so many stuff but that cost so many points ><

Would it be worth to field two telemon, one with fist and autocanon and the second one with two autocanon ? For both melee and range threat ?

I will be running mine as Fist/Storm Cannon and x2 Stormcannons for my telemons.

Spend 1cp to make the fist/cannon +1 to charge, +1 attack with eternal penitent.

Spend 1cp to pop him in deep strike with a blob of 6 Aquilons, and a Terminator Captain.

Spend 2 CP to give them Light of the Moridaes to let them all roll 3d6 on the charge.

See, that's why I prefer a variation of units instead of one trick pony lists. Especially outside of WaaC play. 1st, it's more fun for your opponent, 2nd it's more fun for you as you get to roll out more toys and 3rd it looks a helluva lot cooler. :smile.: Variety is the spice of life, they say, and the same has always applied to my army lists. 

I might not win every game and sometimes not even a lot of games (and sometimes I'll be a bit miffed about it^^), but overall, a gleaming host of terminators, guardians, some bikes and maybe even a tank helps with the visual spectacle a lot. :smile.:

I agree, this is how i plan to buy/build my list, but custodes cost so much its hard to field everything in a signle list

And the incoming increase of the price is kinda scaring me, i want my telemon :x

You are right, that is one problem. I'd love to basically put down one of everything and at least 2 troops, but with Custodes points costs it is not possible. Even less so, if I wanna see my Sagittarum and the Venatari on the board, alongside an Achillus and maybe even bring a Land Raider. 

I think, this might be my one overall gripe with the army - it's so elite that you rarely feel like you're putting down an army. Which is cool and at the same time not, in a way.

EDIT: Forgot to say: That's why I'm a little bit anxious regarding 9th. Do I really need the army to be even more expensive points-wise?

Edited by Kenzaburo

So far, i am looking to build :

- One termi captain and one bike captain

- Shields guards

- one vexilla and one terminator vexilla

- a blob of allarus or aquilon

- bikes

- a telemon

- a assassin

So the incoming change of points cost gonna maybe kill my hopes before i could even try that list :(

You are right, that is one problem. I'd love to basically put down one of everything and at least 2 troops, but with Custodes points costs it is not possible. Even less so, if I wanna see my Sagittarum and the Venatari on the board, alongside an Achillus and maybe even bring a Land Raider. 

I think, this might be my one overall gripe with the army - it's so elite that you rarely feel like you're putting down an army. Which is cool and at the same time not, in a way.

EDIT: Forgot to say: That's why I'm a little bit anxious regarding 9th. Do I really need the army to be even more expensive points-wise?

To be honest, i think that Custodes are only going to get very minor increases in price. They're already over-priced. I'm trying to keep that outlook about it.

Interesting news on hordes again today having to stay in much tighter formation or risk domino effect from moral failure when losing models.

All it needs for the bow on this present is to force attrition to happen from models in engagement range. This prevents people from pulling models that are far spaced out of cc range while maximising engagement with what's leftover before piling in.

That is a double edged sword though since it will make tri-pointing nearly impossible.