9th and Custodes

Intersting that a new unit that is almost the same stat as ours, but with better abilities, weapons and also cheaper. What does that leave us? we should be the best elites ever in the Imperium otherwise it´s no point to have a custodes army at all. My wish is that GW will somehoe see this and buff us too when our next codex comes around. Something in the lines of better stats (more A and W), better weapons (make spears rapid fire 2) and some new kits (mostly some anti-tank, a flyer etc). And of course make the Sister of Silence a bigger part of our army.

Otherwise, as I said above, what is the point with our army if space marines does it better?

I do think Custodes should probably get an additional wound and attack per model across the board, as well as a tweak to weapon damage. More flat 3 damage  available to characters would be nice. They do feel a little too expensive for what you get, And being so elite means any action they have to take mid fight is going to cut out a decent chunk of what they can do for that turn in 9th. 

That said, the strats and other gear available in war of the spider are very nice, and a strong sign that GW hasn't forgotten about the golden boys. If playtesters have been working to balance every army, I'm sure that Custodes will get a much deserved tweak. My speculation is that in 9th, their new codex will have them operating like a small host of heroes that play differently with character targetting and are generally good at everything.

Let us know how it goes... though there are likely more changes in the pipeline I'm sure it will be fairly close.

I'm liking Custodes now. Jetbikes can avoid line of sight more, survive to get into combat and Custodes teleporting in won't necessarily be shot to death by entire armies now.

Terminators are looking to be the new hotness regarding deathstars. They will be hard to kill and depending on your Shield Host you can even get into close combat a lot easier from turn 2 onwards.

It was a fun game. Allarus were definitely fun and felt a lot more... heroic. Some changes were harder to take  though.... like targeting characters. That said... it's a lot of fun. I love how the new terrain worked, and the new Strats were probably the single biggest change.

Anyway, I played a game of 9th... er 8.5 of my Custodes vs. Orks:

Turn-2-Custodes-push-back-1.jpg?resize=1

If anyone's curious I did a full battle report on my blog: https://prot40k.blog/2020/06/30/prots-first-game-of-9th-edition-sort-of-adeptus-custodes-vs-orks/

Might they try upscaling the Custodes models? Not necessarily larger but at least a more upright stance.

Currently there is little height difference between them and Primaris.

Wardens are literally standing ram rod straight. And right there is only about 6 inches real difference between average Custodes and primaris so the difference is challenging to tell even on the models. There was someone on this board that did a conversion for bigger proportioned Custodes. I am sure easily found via Google.

Changes to invul on the storm shield is strong if we get it as well. Ignoring the first ap of weapons helps board guardians a ton.

But it's only a 4++ now. So it's better against ap-1, the same against 2, and worse against 3 or more. I'm not so sure it's better. Not saying it's worse either though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but.

The army wide ability that changes a Custode's invuln from 5++ to 4++ is a +1 to save to a minimum of 3++, correct? Which would mean that the invuln of 4++ granted by the shield is then increased to a 3++, and the +1 to regular armor from the shield is also applied, giving board custodes a 1+ 3++.

The army wide ability that changes a Custode's invuln from 5++ to 4++ is a +1 to save to a minimum of 3++, correct? Which would mean that the invuln of 4++ granted by the shield is then increased to a 3++, and the +1 to regular armor from the shield is also applied, giving board custodes a 1+ 3++.

Unless they rewrite the rule in the 9th dex to only affect the armor's invuln and not other objects that give invulns, Id say you're right.

Good news for those AP-1 spams that are our downfall. 2+ all day long in that regard, even when in the open, with a shield.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Unless they rewrite the rule in the 9th dex to only affect the armor's invuln and not other objects that give invulns, Id say you're right.

Good news for those AP-1 spams that are our downfall. 2+ all day long in that regard, even when in the open, with a shield.

Your first premise doesn't make much sense. Custodes almost all have a 2+ armour. Why would they rewrite our rule to be pointless?

Your first premise doesn't make much sense. Custodes almost all have a 2+ armour. Why would they rewrite our rule to be pointless?

I think what was meant was the normal invulnerable save that comes from the armour the custodian is wearing, rather than an invulnerable save that comes from another source (like a storm shield, or a relic)

I think what was meant was the normal invulnerable save that comes from the armour the custodian is wearing, rather than an invulnerable save that comes from another source (like a storm shield, or a relic)

Aye. What weepingangel said.

The base 5+ invuln you get from the auramite armor ("Aegis of The Emperor"), that becomes a 4+ in a "custodes models only" detachment. ("The Emperor's Chosen")

Stop me if im wrong but look like our bikes and new sm bikes got the same wounds...

Guess im gonna play space wolves custodes ><

In how much time do you guys think we gonna need to have a good idea about the new 9th meta ? days, weeks ?

So I don't see anything in the rules that states that 50% of your army has to start on the board. Dread Host will enjoy this.

The rule for this still exists, you still have to have at least half your units and half your points on the table. It was in the leaked book.

So I don't see anything in the rules that states that 50% of your army has to start on the board. Dread Host will enjoy this.

The rule for this still exists, you still have to have at least half your units and half your points on the table. It was in the leaked book.

Ah, you're right. It's in the mission pack.

Played yesterday against TS with 9th leaked rules, it felt a lot better with the ability the actually play stratagems. :D Tried 2 patrol Shadowkeepers and Aquilan shield, because I really wanted to try an Unstoppable Destroyer Lockwarden on Bike with Aquilan Shield Revered Companion in Praetorian plate with axe. My first attempt at bike charge in round 3 failed, so didn't get to use the combo a lot (only once, then I was running on cp fumes in turn 4), against a Daemon Prince with 3++. But what a fun combination, especially with ap ignoring strat. Shame he resurrected with the relic at the end.

We played the new four pillars. My Vindicare completely whiffed for first 3 rounds, then finally killed at least one sorcerer with headshot. Callidus murdered Ahriman. Fun times.

Definitely going to try the Lockwarden & Revered companion again though. :D That ap ignoring strat is beastly, first it saved my allarus 7 wounds against Scarab shooting (only 3 damage, would be 10 without it) and then Revered Companion completely tanked Diabolical strength buffed Daemon Prince. Loved that. Can't wait for the next game.

Final score 41 vs 39 for Banana boys. Had 2 squads of SoS prosecutors, 7 and 6 (points came up like that), used them mostly to screen smite in turn one. They actually tanked 16 shots from butcher cannon pretty well. One squad dies in turn 2,2nd squad was left with 2 sisters until turn 3. Didn't use any of their strats. But they survived a lot longer than expected, considering I put them right in front as screen.

Edited by Balerion84

Nice job. 

My game was against Orks (in my blog batrep) and he had a psyker but very hard to access because... Orks. But my Culexus definitely had opportunity, which was blown. The Sisters did not play a huge role in my game but I saw value there for sure that made me want to put two different squads into a rhino.

In your game they would have had massive payout, but even in my game I thought I could see overall value there. Now I'm trying to figure out how to keep a few of them in the list without it weighing down the value of the Custodes aspect.

I did not use a SoS Strat either, however I was trying to use all the new ones for Custodes (Dread Host) which were super expensive. I may try Aquilon as it's something I've wanted to try. The relic shield on my Banner for example. But the Allarus are pretty good with Dread Host.

I did think the SoS strats are good, and their denial strat is a touch better than the Custodes denial strat (I believe from memory).

How did you like using so many Detachments? Didn't that kill your starting CP? I am thinking of going with a single Vanguard because of my love of Elites, and the Battalion just requires too many Guardians imo. 

How did you like Aquilon? Is it something you'd stick to?

I only have 3x3 squads of guards and was a bit worried due to the new character targeting rule, that it's probably better to go 2x4. I was thinking of running a battalion to save those cps, but the fact I have so few guards and really wanted to try Lockwarden with a Revered companion duo and SOS, I went with 2 patrols. I could have used more cps though, at 1 point in turn 4 I had only 1 cp and needed 2. 1 to give allarus ignore ap2 vs 7 Scarabs and 1 for my Revered companion to tank hits for my WL. Opted for allarus, but WL died to DP. .. so that's one situation where more cps would help.

Although overall, compared to 8th, I still had LOT of cps to use. Started with 7, +1 in Command Phase so like twice the amount I used to start with in 8th usually. I didn't have inquisitor, wanted the Abhor the Witch Secondary and no Trajann, so no refunding of cps for me. Inquisitor would cost another cp anyway and my luck with Esoteric Lore rolls is... not great :D

I don't have Aquilons, but Allarus where great. Had 5 deepstrike, delete 9 Scarabs with Resurecting shenanigans, -1 to hit and 3++ over 2 turns, ended up with 4 left alive and holding objective.

The deny strats I thought SoS one is better, since it's on 3+, but Custodes one doesn't have range limitation unlike SoS one. Which helped a lot. SoS were out of range against TS to use it (has to be 18") and the AC strat canceled one smite and one super smite, so that was great :D

I was running only 2 captains, 2x4 guards, vex, 5 allarus, hybrid telemon, 2 squads of SOS and 2 assassins.

I'd say a single detachment would be better, more cps, more elite slots (shame that sos take elite slots and you only get 2 in patrol). But 2 patrols wasn't bad.